First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Before I even get into what happened, I want to state that I know Adam and his company are active and valued on this forum. Second, I work in sales, and am well aware that negative, one sided reviews can be harmful and detrimental to business and morale, and I encourage any appropriate dialogue/response to this thread. Third, I had an extremely positive buying experience with Adam and 4x4TruckLEDs, and would have strongly recommended them prior to what Iā€™ll outline below.

With that said, hereā€™s the TL/DR: Bought Baja Design + KR Off-Road Triple Fog Kit in May, 2023. Within a few weeks the lights failed. I spoke to Adam on the phone. He told me BD was super good about warranty replacement, that heā€™d take care of me, and gave me some trouble shooting homework. Fast forward a few months (to mid Sept), and he completely blew me off, wasnā€™t willing to help in any way, and most importantly, was directly responsible for my lights failing and needing to be returned to BD for warranty service.

Details:

I got my ā€™23 Wildtrak w/ MOD bumper in early May. Immediately ordered a front license plate bracket from 4x4TruckLEDs.com. Arrived fast, was excellent quality, and mounted easily, so when I decided to get a fog kit a few weeks later, I called Adam to get some advice. He was super helpful, told me exactly what to get, I ordered what he recommended, received it all quickly, installed, and everything was great for a few weeks.

Ohhā€¦Hereā€™s what I ordered; BD Triple Fog Light Kit w/ KR Off-Road Bezel/Flush Bracket - 1st pair: Squadron SAE, Wide Cornering, 2nd pair: S2 Pro, Driving/Combo, 3rd pair: S2 Pro, Wide Cornering, Amber, All-In-One Upfitter Harness - Price: $1,079.10 - When I was talking to Adam on the phone he steered me away from the Baja Designs OEM kit, and told me his kit would be better and cheaper. He also regularly states that exact same thing on this forum.

About a month after installing, my driver side amber S2 went out. Then a few days later the passenger side amber went out. I tried to do some simple trouble shooting, but they were dead. Around the same time, the clear S2s started flickering, and I noticed that 5 of the 6 lights were clouded with condensation. Thatā€™s when I called Adam to get some advice. This was late June / early July. Adam told me the condensation was a bad sign. I told him that per his installation instructions, I had rotated the bezels and lenses prior to installation (because they get mounted on the bracket upside down, and the logo and lenses would otherwise be upside down), and he said I was, ā€˜allowed to do thatā€™, but that the lights had been vacuum sealed and pressure tested at the factory, that condensation was bad, and likely the cause of the issues. He told me to check all of the wiring, to make sure no fuses were blown, that there was no problem with the wiring, and to see if I could isolate the problem to the lights or the power supplyā€¦He was very adamant that BD was great about warranty repairs, and that heā€™d take care of me regardless, but that I should get to the bottom of the problem first.

Note: Iā€™m relatively handy, and installed the light kit and wiring harness in a few hours, but Iā€™m not a car guy, and donā€™t have a lot of suppliesā€¦like portable 12v power supply, alligator clips, or anything else to diagnose the problemā€¦so I got overwhelmed and stuck my head in the sand for a few months.

Finally, earlier this month, I brought my truck to a local high end audio / after market place that does stereos, remote starters, lighting upgrades, etc. They looked everything over, told me the wiring and fuses were fine, and said the lights were blown, likely due to the condensation inside. That was September 15. That same day I called 4x4Truck to talk to Adam. Didnā€™t get him, but got Kevin, who listened to my story, told me Adam would help me, asked me to send an email outlining all of the above, and said Adam would get right back to me. He also said they sell a lot of BD stuff, and would definitely take care of me. I emailed Adam a full breakdown of the situation, including pics, at 2:30pm EST on Sept 15.

I didnā€™t hear back on the 15th, 16th, 17th, or 18th, so called on the 19thā€¦just to make sure theyā€™d received the email. Didnā€™t get Adam again, but spoke to Kevin. He said he remembered me, apologized for not getting back to me, told me heā€™d talk to Adam immediately, and said he or Adam would call me back that afternoon.

I didnā€™t hear from Adam or Kevin on the 19th, or the 20th, so on the 21st, I emailed the following;

Adam - Following up on the below and my calls to Kevin last Friday and this past Tuesday. Want to make sure you have received, and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

THREE minutes later I got an email from Adam; "I believe Kevin explained you have to contact Baja Designs for warranty supportā€

Thatā€™s itā€¦Nothing else. No offer to help. No apology for the delay. No explanation. Nothingā€¦and NO, Kevin hadnā€™t explained anything to meā€¦heā€™d just said that Adam would get back to me...

So I called Baja Designsā€¦and thank god, they were super helpful, have my lights in their possession now, are fixing them, and everything will ultimately be okā€¦

But hereā€™s why Iā€™m writing this post;

According to the people at BD, if you order THEIR kit, with their bracket, the lights COME with the bezels and lenses factory mounted upside down, consumers should NEVER open the Squadron SAEs, and they werenā€™t even aware that Adam was selling kits with his bracket, BD lights, and telling customers to rotate the bezels and lenses.

Paragraph ONE of the 4x4TruckLEDs installation instructions says, ā€œNOTE: Your lights will hang upside down from the KR Off-Road brackets. You may need to flip the lenses/bezels on your lights so that they are right-side up. You can do this by removing the 4 bolts that hold the bezel to the light and rotating the lenses/bezels 180 degrees.ā€

When I brought this info to the attention of BD, their EXACT response was, ā€œYikes...We are going to need to educate him not to have lenses removed on SAEā€™s. He isnā€™t using our brackets either. Those are his store brand KR brackets. Looks like he makes his own kits, but neglect the fact that they hang upside down.ā€

And that's the crux of my complaint, and the reason for this long postā€¦Adam (his installation instructions) caused my lights to fail, blew me off, didnā€™t offer any assistance of any kind, and obviously isnā€™t selling ā€˜kitsā€™ that are appropriately designed or functional.

Iā€™m sure lots of people here have bought from Adam and had positive experiencesā€¦Heck, I was one of those people, but in the end of the day, I think prospective buyers should think long and hard before buying fog light kits from 4x4TruckLEDs.com

Thanks for reading,

Kyle
Sponsored

nametaken

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco 2dr, 22 Model 3, 23 Frontier, Vanderhall
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ah great, I have something arriving tomorrow from them, ugh!
Thanks for sharing

Tabman10

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've observed the same attitude. They are very helpful when trying to make a quick sale, but if you point out something that is wrong with your order or design, they get very rude and dismissive quickly. Not interested in the technical details.
Also be sure to check any wiring that you buy through 4x4 (or anyone else). In the triple light harness I received, all lines are made with 18 gauge (or possibly 16 w/thin insulation) wire - including the common return. Problem is that each set of lights can pull up to 6 Amps, so it is recommended to use 16 gauge per set by the manufacturer (Diode Dynamics in my case). If you use the harness as-is, and multiple sets on at a time , you may get some excess heating on the return.

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can't speak to the customer service part, but multiple BD light failures is very odd.

Having taken apart about 40 times various S1s, S2s and Squadrons to paint, replace or otherwise maintain Baja Designs lights with zero condensation ever, there is only one way I can think of for the seals to fail outside of a manufacturing defect. The reflective lens, the "chrome" piece has "feet" that slot into the board and keep it in place with the lens and bezel pressure. If those are not seated, the bezel and lens will not sit flush and you will deform the board, reflector and/or potentially create a bezel seal gap when attempting to close the light up.

If you don't remember having a problem getting the bezel flush when attempting to reinstall them, I suspect that's what happened to your lights.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ahhh, I see you met The REAL Adam/ 4x4trucknutz!
Read around here a little bit. You'll find 4x4trucknutz is your best buddy right up until the point he has to fix his shit.
Then he will blame you for everything.

Also, since he is a paying member, expect this thread to get nuked in short order.

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2024 Rivian R1S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This doesn't surprise me at all. I bought something from them because theyā€™re very active on this forum and the experience from start to finish was atrocious. Not worth writing my story out because it's just going to make me mad again. Their customer service skills were severely lacking to say the least. Best of luck to you man and sorry that happened.

Last edited:

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Since the thread was moved to the Vendor/Dealer Feedback and Reviews, than I presume it is safe to mention Adam's taking names from @X-Rack promotional thread on his fishing rod trail sight holder and starting a private conversation called the "INSIDERS" in which he advised those that expressed interest to X-Rack's product to wait until he releases his version 2.0 fishing rod holder.

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

sorry that happened to you, pretty sad story but glad you were able to get it straightened out!

there are a number of similar stories and lots of undercurrents of bad customer service with them that unfortunately gets glossed over with being a paid sponsor

Edit - and I hope this thread doesn't get nuked as folks need to be aware

Bigfx

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad you got the lights sorted out there seems to be a serious issue with vendors here saying one thing or advising one thing to make a quick sale and then when issues pop up basically write you off and have shills discredit you. Thank you for the heads up I will not be purchasing from them.

Sponsored

projectbadlands

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hah, similar experience with me. I bought one set of BD and delivery went smoothly. I did notice I did not get the BD mounts as expected, instead got his bare metal mounts which also worked so no big deal.

I had also ordered KC Pro6 light bar from a local vendor but he got the same backorder message as everyone else at the time (covid time). I sent Adam a message explaining hey I am interested in these lights. My local vendor had given me a pretty good discount so I asked if I could get the same through him. I know, I got the buddy buddy discount so in no way was I expecting a YES from him but maybe he could offer something. It does not hurt to ask and the worst I could get was a NO. Was I mistaken.

He starts dissing my local vendor talking about he is not going to give me any discounts (and right fully so, I am not entitled to any) and starts talking about I am just getting some influencer discount and he is a big name in offroading lights so his price goes.

If all I got was a simple no, absolutely no problem. I would been faced with a decision on paying full price for lights and getting them now or patiently waiting for my discounted lights. Instead he starts dissing other business which happens to also be a good friend of mine which did not sit right with me so my decision of which route to take was pretty simple and easy.

Will never do business with someone like that again and I let everyone know I come across to not purchase from him .

TEAMSLO

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco 2.7 4d Oxford White & 22' JLURD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well, mark them off the list for me. Its great when things go as planned, but I have seen some companies excel and others fail when things don't go as planned.

I only refer companies to those I know that take care of their customers (within reason). Always will support them even if their prices may be a few bucks more as well. Looks like I'll be seeking a competitor for my light setup on the bronco, probably same company I setup my wrangler.

OP
OP
Mojua

Mojua

Wildtrak
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Can't speak to the customer service part, but multiple BD light failures is very odd.

Having taken apart about 40 times various S1s, S2s and Squadrons to paint, replace or otherwise maintain Baja Designs lights with zero condensation ever, there is only one way I can think of for the seals to fail outside of a manufacturing defect. The reflective lens, the "chrome" piece has "feet" that slot into the board and keep it in place with the lens and bezel pressure. If those are not seated, the bezel and lens will not sit flush and you will deform the board, reflector and/or potentially create a bezel seal gap when attempting to close the light up.

If you don't remember having a problem getting the bezel flush when attempting to reinstall them, I suspect that's what happened to your lights.
Appreciate your response. Just want to be absolutely clear that I have NO issue with BD. Their lights are awesome, and their service has been equally awesome. My issue is with Adam, his company, their poor service, and the fact that their written instructions specifically tell you to unbolt and rotate the bezels, when BD specifically told me that the SAEs should NOT be opened by customers. I mean, how can you be so clueless about a product that is the bread and butter of your sales business?? Makes no sense, yet perfectly reflects their lack of integrity...

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Before I even get into what happened, I want to state that I know Adam and his company are active and valued on this forum. Second, I work in sales, and am well aware that negative, one sided reviews can be harmful and detrimental to business and morale, and I encourage any appropriate dialogue/response to this thread. Third, I had an extremely positive buying experience with Adam and 4x4TruckLEDs, and would have strongly recommended them prior to what Iā€™ll outline below.

With that said, hereā€™s the TL/DR: Bought Baja Design + KR Off-Road Triple Fog Kit in May, 2023. Within a few weeks the lights failed. I spoke to Adam on the phone. He told me BD was super good about warranty replacement, that heā€™d take care of me, and gave me some trouble shooting homework. Fast forward a few months (to mid Sept), and he completely blew me off, wasnā€™t willing to help in any way, and most importantly, was directly responsible for my lights failing and needing to be returned to BD for warranty service.

Details:

I got my ā€™23 Wildtrak w/ MOD bumper in early May. Immediately ordered a front license plate bracket from 4x4TruckLEDs.com. Arrived fast, was excellent quality, and mounted easily, so when I decided to get a fog kit a few weeks later, I called Adam to get some advice. He was super helpful, told me exactly what to get, I ordered what he recommended, received it all quickly, installed, and everything was great for a few weeks.

Ohhā€¦Hereā€™s what I ordered; BD Triple Fog Light Kit w/ KR Off-Road Bezel/Flush Bracket - 1st pair: Squadron SAE, Wide Cornering, 2nd pair: S2 Pro, Driving/Combo, 3rd pair: S2 Pro, Wide Cornering, Amber, All-In-One Upfitter Harness - Price: $1,079.10 - When I was talking to Adam on the phone he steered me away from the Baja Designs OEM kit, and told me his kit would be better and cheaper. He also regularly states that exact same thing on this forum.

About a month after installing, my driver side amber S2 went out. Then a few days later the passenger side amber went out. I tried to do some simple trouble shooting, but they were dead. Around the same time, the clear S2s started flickering, and I noticed that 5 of the 6 lights were clouded with condensation. Thatā€™s when I called Adam to get some advice. This was late June / early July. Adam told me the condensation was a bad sign. I told him that per his installation instructions, I had rotated the bezels and lenses prior to installation (because they get mounted on the bracket upside down, and the logo and lenses would otherwise be upside down), and he said I was, ā€˜allowed to do thatā€™, but that the lights had been vacuum sealed and pressure tested at the factory, that condensation was bad, and likely the cause of the issues. He told me to check all of the wiring, to make sure no fuses were blown, that there was no problem with the wiring, and to see if I could isolate the problem to the lights or the power supplyā€¦He was very adamant that BD was great about warranty repairs, and that heā€™d take care of me regardless, but that I should get to the bottom of the problem first.

Note: Iā€™m relatively handy, and installed the light kit and wiring harness in a few hours, but Iā€™m not a car guy, and donā€™t have a lot of suppliesā€¦like portable 12v power supply, alligator clips, or anything else to diagnose the problemā€¦so I got overwhelmed and stuck my head in the sand for a few months.

Finally, earlier this month, I brought my truck to a local high end audio / after market place that does stereos, remote starters, lighting upgrades, etc. They looked everything over, told me the wiring and fuses were fine, and said the lights were blown, likely due to the condensation inside. That was September 15. That same day I called 4x4Truck to talk to Adam. Didnā€™t get him, but got Kevin, who listened to my story, told me Adam would help me, asked me to send an email outlining all of the above, and said Adam would get right back to me. He also said they sell a lot of BD stuff, and would definitely take care of me. I emailed Adam a full breakdown of the situation, including pics, at 2:30pm EST on Sept 15.

I didnā€™t hear back on the 15th, 16th, 17th, or 18th, so called on the 19thā€¦just to make sure theyā€™d received the email. Didnā€™t get Adam again, but spoke to Kevin. He said he remembered me, apologized for not getting back to me, told me heā€™d talk to Adam immediately, and said he or Adam would call me back that afternoon.

I didnā€™t hear from Adam or Kevin on the 19th, or the 20th, so on the 21st, I emailed the following;

Adam - Following up on the below and my calls to Kevin last Friday and this past Tuesday. Want to make sure you have received, and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

THREE minutes later I got an email from Adam; "I believe Kevin explained you have to contact Baja Designs for warranty supportā€

Thatā€™s itā€¦Nothing else. No offer to help. No apology for the delay. No explanation. Nothingā€¦and NO, Kevin hadnā€™t explained anything to meā€¦heā€™d just said that Adam would get back to me...

So I called Baja Designsā€¦and thank god, they were super helpful, have my lights in their possession now, are fixing them, and everything will ultimately be okā€¦

But hereā€™s why Iā€™m writing this post;

According to the people at BD, if you order THEIR kit, with their bracket, the lights COME with the bezels and lenses factory mounted upside down, consumers should NEVER open the Squadron SAEs, and they werenā€™t even aware that Adam was selling kits with his bracket, BD lights, and telling customers to rotate the bezels and lenses.

Paragraph ONE of the 4x4TruckLEDs installation instructions says, ā€œNOTE: Your lights will hang upside down from the KR Off-Road brackets. You may need to flip the lenses/bezels on your lights so that they are right-side up. You can do this by removing the 4 bolts that hold the bezel to the light and rotating the lenses/bezels 180 degrees.ā€

When I brought this info to the attention of BD, their EXACT response was, ā€œYikes...We are going to need to educate him not to have lenses removed on SAEā€™s. He isnā€™t using our brackets either. Those are his store brand KR brackets. Looks like he makes his own kits, but neglect the fact that they hang upside down.ā€

And that's the crux of my complaint, and the reason for this long postā€¦Adam (his installation instructions) caused my lights to fail, blew me off, didnā€™t offer any assistance of any kind, and obviously isnā€™t selling ā€˜kitsā€™ that are appropriately designed or functional.

Iā€™m sure lots of people here have bought from Adam and had positive experiencesā€¦Heck, I was one of those people, but in the end of the day, I think prospective buyers should think long and hard before buying fog light kits from 4x4TruckLEDs.com

Thanks for reading,

Kyle
I have been running BD Squadron Sports for almost 2 years with no issues. These lights are advertised by BD as the lenses being easily replaceable, so the taking apart causing issues is pure BS.

OP
OP
Mojua

Mojua

Wildtrak
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well, mark them off the list for me. Its great when things go as planned, but I have seen some companies excel and others fail when things don't go as planned.

I only refer companies to those I know that take care of their customers (within reason). Always will support them even if their prices may be a few bucks more as well. Looks like I'll be seeking a competitor for my light setup on the bronco, probably same company I setup my wrangler.
Agree with this 1000%. I'm a cyclist...I spend ungodly amounts of money at my local bike shop, not because they're cheap (they're more expensive than many alternatives), but because they take care of me and stand behind the products they sell. If I bought a set of carbon wheels from them, and then they failed, whether they could help me or not, they'd NEVER EVER EVER send me a one liner saying, ""I believe xxx explained you have to contact xxx for warranty supportā€. They'd say, "Dude, we're so sorry. Bring them to us and we'll get it straightened out asap..." Or if they couldn't for some reason, they'd say, "We're so sorry this happened. We can't actually do anything for you, but BD is super awesome, and they'll take care of you right away. In fact, we'll send an email on your behalf explaining what happened. Please keep us posted, and let us know if we can help in any way..."

The whole reason I wrote this post was to let people know that that's NOT the kind of support you can expect from Adam, even when he's the direct cause of the issue...which is a shame, and extremely short-sighted.
Sponsored