Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Aren't you supposed to keep your tires more inflated in the snow / ice? Airing down doesn't make any sense.
I do it on slick roads with snow and ice. Deeper snow I'd leave them alone. BUT I'm not a snow or tire expert by any means :)

Heckler

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What kind of gas mileage bit did you notice after switching to these tires? There a bit heavier than the stock SAS Goodyears.

I do it on slick roads with snow and ice. Deeper snow I'd leave them alone. BUT I'm not a snow or tire expert by any means :)

OP
OP
B Miller

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What kind of gas mileage bit did you notice after switching to these tires? There a bit heavier than the stock SAS Goodyears.
I didn't pay much attention to it, but northing noticeable. I've always run about 15 MPG with all the weight bolted onto the Bronco. Tires didn't seem to effect it much. It does drive excellent and less sway around corners.

Heckler

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That doesn’t sound too bad, I got new rims back in January and have been racking my brain trying to pick a tire (sticking with a 35” tire), I want a more aggressive look but really don’t want to add too much extra weight and loose a bunch of MPG’s (I know the Bronco isn’t a vehicle to get good mileage but as a daily driver I’d like to minimize a large MPG impact).

I started looking seriously at the Toyo AT3 and at 59lbs there pretty light in the C load range, the RT Trail has an even more aggressive look (but doesn’t seem by much) but at 68lbs that’s a 9lb per tire difference. Now I’m eyeing the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT that look to be the most aggressive looking of all and adds 1lb over the RT Trail 69lbs per tire in a D load range 35” tire.

Maybe I’m over thinking this just a little lol.

I didn't pay much attention to it, but northing noticeable. I've always run about 15 MPG with all the weight bolted onto the Bronco. Tires didn't seem to effect it much. It does drive excellent and less sway around corners.

Sponsored
OP
OP
B Miller

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That doesn’t sound too bad, I got new rims back in January and have been racking my brain trying to pick a tire (sticking with a 35” tire), I want a more aggressive look but really don’t want to add too much extra weight and loose a bunch of MPG’s (I know the Bronco isn’t a vehicle to get good mileage but as a daily driver I’d like to minimize a large MPG impact).

I started looking seriously at the Toyo AT3 and at 59lbs there pretty light in the C load range, the RT Trail has an even more aggressive look (but doesn’t seem by much) but at 68lbs that’s a 9lb per tire difference. Now I’m eyeing the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT that look to be the most aggressive looking of all and adds 1lb over the RT Trail 69lbs per tire in a D load range 35” tire.

Maybe I’m over thinking this just a little lol.
I went through all those same numbers. If you make a spreadsheet of all this things that are important to you and start comparing, you might be surprised where you end up. That's what I recommend doing and the Toyo's were the result.

snowcatxx87

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / 701SM / Tiger 900RP / Grom / Surron
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Can’t beat a true winter tire for winter. Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 comes in a 35” equivalent as well. 🤘

PizzaBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went through all those same numbers. If you make a spreadsheet of all this things that are important to you and start comparing, you might be surprised where you end up. That's what I recommend doing and the Toyo's were the result.
Exactly what I did. At the time that I was looking, I had a hard time finding the C load KO2 in a 35”. There weren’t a lot of options of C load 35” tires at all. And if you start comparing the D rated versions of those tires it looks different. If I remember, there’s not even a D rated KO2 - I think they jump straight to E.

I was also able to shed some weight with new wheels. So while the tires were a bit heavier, the wheels were a bit lighter. It was an overall weight increase but not by a lot.

OP
OP
B Miller

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly what I did. At the time that I was looking, I had a hard time finding the C load KO2 in a 35”. There weren’t a lot of options of C load 35” tires at all. And if you start comparing the D rated versions of those tires it looks different. If I remember, there’s not even a D rated KO2 - I think they jump straight to E.

I was also able to shed some weight with new wheels. So while the tires were a bit heavier, the wheels were a bit lighter. It was an overall weight increase but not by a lot.
I see. There’s not a lot of D rated options.

Sponsored

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for posting this Brian. I'm looking for snow/ice tires for next season. I have not been impressed with the KO2s. I think BFG just slapped the mountain snowflake on there and hoped no one would notice they suck in snow. Maybe they are good in deep powder snow bashing, I haven't done that yet, but they struggle for traction in every daily driving snow condition I've had them in. I've got the Falken AT4W's and the Toyo ATIII's high on my list for replacements, and now I'll add the R/T trails.
I live in VT, and have had BFG AT’s on my vehicles for about a decade. They’re great in snow and ice for a tire that is not a dedicated winter tire. A winter tire has a different rubber compound that is designed to have better traction in icey conditions in cold temperatures (but wear like crazy in summer). I have no issues leaving BfGs on my vehicle year round.

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Aren't you supposed to keep your tires more inflated in the snow / ice? Airing down doesn't make any sense.
I came across this video a while ago. Yes, higher air pressures certainly help traction in at least winter tires. This video has some great comments and considerations. I believe the argument is that higher pressures result in more weight pushing down in a smaller contact surface area which is better for snow traction.

OP
OP
B Miller

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I came across this video a while ago. Yes, higher air pressures certainly help traction in at least winter tires. This video has some great comments and considerations. I believe the argument is that higher pressures result in more weight pushing down in a smaller contact surface area which is better for snow traction.

Great video here!