Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am planning on buying a soft top from a guy that swapped his OEM soft top for the Bestop one. Does the Bestop soft top use any of the Ford parts? He attached these pics, I am just trying to make sure I have all the parts.

341268028_183589697890168_7325168208472495478_n.jpg
341683930_763117268799859_8945108360107206902_n.jpg
341270661_192089346962978_2748256021651437429_n.jpg
341448255_770411874685646_9021892587428402659_n.jpg

@Catmandu
You are still missing the black support bars that are down inside the trim of the cargo area and the rear latch brackets
Sponsored

Gladdox

Outer Banks
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4D Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
When I took delivery of my Bronco in January, it came with the MIC hard top pre-installed, and the OEM soft top was in the back. I finally was able to swap tops today, and this post was very helpful. Thank you.

Sadly, I swapped tops after spending all day working outside, so I was exhausted by the time we finished the top swap and haven't been able to drive it with the top down yet.

Questions:

1.) I'm not sure about are the various trim pieces and brackets. My Bronco evidently had the soft top C-pillar trim pieces pre-installed, even tho my soft top kit came with them. So I actually do not have hard top trim pieces. Should I call Ford about those?

2.) The brackets and latches in the cargo area were pre-installed, which was nice. I assume Ford shipped my vehicle with the soft-top cargo trim pieces. I haven't put them back on yet -- was too tired to mess with it today. Is it OK to keep the soft top trim pieces even when I put the MIC top back on? Or should I ask Ford to send me those?

3.) I literally didn't have to do anything other than remove the MIC hard top and bolt on the soft top and latch it. Are there any other pieces on the pillars or roll bars that may have been pre-installed by Ford? (Everything seems to be in place, but I also haven't driven with the soft top down yet.) Is there any clip or bracket for securing the soft top in position 1 (half down)?

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

When I took delivery of my Bronco in January, it came with the MIC hard top pre-installed, and the OEM soft top was in the back. I finally was able to swap tops today, and this post was very helpful. Thank you.

Sadly, I swapped tops after spending all day working outside, so I was exhausted by the time we finished the top swap and haven't been able to drive it with the top down yet.

Questions:

1.) I'm not sure about are the various trim pieces and brackets. My Bronco evidently had the soft top C-pillar trim pieces pre-installed, even tho my soft top kit came with them. So I actually do not have hard top trim pieces. Should I call Ford about those?

2.) The brackets and latches in the cargo area were pre-installed, which was nice. I assume Ford shipped my vehicle with the soft-top cargo trim pieces. I haven't put them back on yet -- was too tired to mess with it today. Is it OK to keep the soft top trim pieces even when I put the MIC top back on? Or should I ask Ford to send me those?

3.) I literally didn't have to do anything other than remove the MIC hard top and bolt on the soft top and latch it. Are there any other pieces on the pillars or roll bars that may have been pre-installed by Ford? (Everything seems to be in place, but I also haven't driven with the soft top down yet.) Is there any clip or bracket for securing the soft top in position 1 (half down)?
1. The hardtop trim is underneath the soft top c pillar trim. Unless you change to a Bestop or sell your soft top, there’s no reason to take these off.
2. It’s fine to just use those trim pieces.
3. Lifting the soft top on and off is the only difficult part. No clip or bracket but you should have some Velcro straps to hold the frame in position.

Gladdox

Outer Banks
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4D Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
1. The hardtop trim is underneath the soft top c pillar trim. Unless you change to a Bestop or sell your soft top, there’s no reason to take these off.
2. It’s fine to just use those trim pieces.
3. Lifting the soft top on and off is the only difficult part. No clip or bracket but you should have some Velcro straps to hold the frame in position.
Thank you for this!

1. We only took off 1 of the pre-installed C-pillar trim pieces, and that was just to compare its part number to the ones that came with my soft top kit, to make sure they were the same (they were). I don't recall if there was a trim piece under it or just metal body, but next time I take the windows off I'll check.

2. Good to know, thanks. That said, I may call Ford anyway and ask if they'll send me the HT versions. It's not as if Ford gives you a discount for buying both tops, so if I ever sell one of the tops it would be nice to have a complete kit of parts.

3. I've heard several people recommend replacing the factory struts on the soft top with gas struts -- it's supposed to make manipulating it much easier. I did find the velcro straps in my glovebox, so I have those. I know the soft top "locks" in place when it's all the way back, but is there a similar mechanism for the mid-way position? Any issue with driving it at highway speeds in either position?

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are still missing the black support bars that are down inside the trim of the cargo area and the rear latch brackets
Update:

Here is a more detailed photo. I believe the only thing I am missing are those rear cargo support brackets that the soft top actually bolts on to, correct?

Ford Bronco Soft Top <--> Hard Top Swap : Tips & Lessons Learned - UPDATED 1682450332306

Sponsored

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also, he did say there is another one of the plastic pieces circled in red below. What exactly is this piece for? This plastic trim piece (I assume its the cargo cover piece?) looks different than the photos that you all uploaded.

Ford Bronco Soft Top <--> Hard Top Swap : Tips & Lessons Learned - UPDATED 1682450598811

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Update:

Here is a more detailed photo. I believe the only thing I am missing are those rear cargo support brackets that the soft top actually bolts on to, correct?

Ford Bronco Soft Top <--> Hard Top Swap : Tips & Lessons Learned - UPDATED 1682450598811
It looks like everything is there but those black bars and bolts. The circled plastic piece looks like the trim for the fastener by the sun visors. I would think that you’d already have those installed.

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It looks like everything is there but those black bars and bolts. The circled plastic piece looks like the trim for the fastener by the sun visors. I would think that you’d already have those installed.
Am I missing the read cargo panel covers as well though? Arent those different for the soft top?

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Am I missing the read cargo panel covers as well though? Arent those different for the soft top?
If yours was strictly a hardtop, then yes. They are aesthetic only. Some have trimmed their hardtop versions. I ordered new softop for mine. Some even just leave them off. It’s up to you and your level of OCD.

Gladdox

Outer Banks
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4D Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Roll Bar Brackets:

Both the brackets and the screws will need to be swapped over. These do require some adjustment. Our approach was pretty simple and seemed to be affective. We simply left the screws loose enough to allow for lateral bracket movement. We then closed top and adjusted the brackets to where the top latch and side silver post matched. It took a few ups and downs to get it set. In the end both brackets were pretty much adjusted to the rear as much as they would go.

1. Are these brackets slightly behind the B-pillar, essentially above the rear passenger door opening?
  2. Are they visible with the soft top in the "first" position (partly back), or do you have to have it all the way back to see them?
  3. What is their purpose?

Sponsored

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

1. Are these brackets slightly behind the B-pillar, essentially above the rear passenger door opening?
  2. Are they visible with the soft top in the "first" position (partly back), or do you have to have it all the way back to see them?
  3. What is their purpose?
1. Yes
2. Kinda but not really. All the way back will certainly expose them.
3. This is the latch the keeps from going all the way back and the pivot point for position 1.

5PC24

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If you're looking to sell those, let me know. Need to get them as the soft top I bought from someone didn't include them in the kit.

nickBL

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Santa Fe Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Soft Top <--> Hard Top Swap : Tips & Lessons Learned - UPDATED 1682519236742

For these pillar trim pieces, could I use the existing screws that are there or do I need new ones? My trim pieces came with no screws.

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco Soft Top <--> Hard Top Swap : Tips & Lessons Learned - UPDATED 1682519236742

For these pillar trim pieces, could I use the existing screws that are there or do I need new ones? My trim pieces came with no screws.
Use existing.

Gladdox

Outer Banks
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4D Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you're looking to sell those, let me know. Need to get them as the soft top I bought from someone didn't include them in the kit.
Yeah, will do. Waiting to hear back from my dealer. Not sure if they want them back in exchange for my missing hard top pieces. If not, I'll PM you.
Sponsored