Sponsored

SAS ride quality on interstate highways?

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Test driving this weekend. Not sure what they will have on the lot to test.

I believe the '24 order bank are closed so would have to wait for '25 order banks to open if we decide on something.
Seem to be plenty on lots, maybe you'll get lucky...
Sponsored

GroovyGhost

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah, in 2024, you can no longer order an Outer Banks with 4A unless you get SAS. So maybe that decides for you.

Just ordered an Outer Banks with LUX and the only way to get 4A is with the SAS package. If you want 4A without SAS you will need to step up to the Badlands.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does the SAS package make interstate driving a issue? Im between a Lux outerbanks without OR without SAS.

It will be a mall crawler so i figure the stock outerbanks wheels would be better but the wife and i both really like
the look of the SAS package and id like to have the 4A for her convenience.
So being one of the few to have run the stock Hitachi and the Bilstein's, it won't be an issue on the highway other than the slightly deceased fuel economy associated with the 35" tires.

The fact that you can't get a 2024 OBX with 4A without the Sasquatch package means you have 3 choices. No 4A and the stock OBX rims and tires, Sasquatch package with 4A, or a leftover 2023 non-sasquatch with 4A.

I have a 2021 lux w/ 4A and I added the Bilstein's for a non-sasquatch Badlands. I also had a 2023 high w/ 4A and the Hitachi. On road, I really didn't notice much difference, but off road the Bilstein's were better.

IMG-05c6bbd49ed9171086c562b03d235171-V (1).jpg

2023 vs 2021

received_1670734536661668.jpeg

As delivered

IMG_20220910_181155 (1).jpg

With rims/tires only.

Screenshot_20240312-101114.png

With Bilstein's

IMG_20221006_185615.jpg

Mall crawling

Last edited:

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does the SAS package make interstate driving a issue? Im between a Lux outerbanks without OR without SAS.

It will be a mall crawler so i figure the stock outerbanks wheels would be better but the wife and i both really like
At 85 MPH, I cannot tell any difference between my Bronco Badlands SAS, 4A (Where the front drive train is always spinning) and my 2015 Ford Explorer except for the gas mileage.

With the LUX package and “lane keeping” selected, you get a lot of “Keep your hands on the steering wheel” alarms. Minimal steering input is required on straight roads.

BearPatrol

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
90+ feels like nothing. Like, this thing shouldn't feel as comfortable as it is at those speeds.

Sponsored

MEDISN

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable SAS is on our lousy SoCal streets and freeways. 35’s are very forgiving and the HOSS 3.0 suspension on our Wildtrak is actually pretty fun on the street too. Feels light and tossable without much body roll.
I do run my tires at 37PSI front and 35PSI rear with the roof off. The factory air pressure is way too high in my opinion.

OP
OP
DemonGT

DemonGT

Heritage
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
How much of a difference is there in the suspension between a SAS outbanks and a wild traks?

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

SAS is fine on the highway as far as road manners go, but I will admit I was a bit surprised at first at how hard the truck crashes over larger freeway imperfections, uneven surfaces, etc. I have a Wildtrak too, with the HOSS 3.0. It is a bit better after I switched out the stock Goodyears for Toyo RT Trails (D rated vs C...I prefer the slightly stiffer tire).

Is this everyone else's experience too?
No, I’m happy with the stock 3.0 ride but I’ll be switching to a D rated tire soon (km3). Let’s see what happens 🤞

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a OBX with Lux and Squatch...it rides just fine on the interstate. And mine is a 2 door so the shorter wheelbase. Taken several all day trips and I love it. Oh and I have the 2.3L. Plenty of power for the highway.

LSW

Wildtrak
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Wildtrak, 2023 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a 23 outer banks non Sasquatch with 4A and a ‘24 Wildtrak which is of course Sasquatch also with 4A. The outer banks does everything better on the highway, it feels like a sports car compared to the Sasquatch. The ride is better on the highway in the OBX stock vs stock, even with the Wildtrak’s Goodyears at 32 psi vs 38 in the OBX (although I do have Cooper snow claw studded tires on the OBX right now). The OBX has much stronger high speed acceleration for passing at 60+ mph and about 20% better fuel economy. They both have 2.7’s. The only thing the Wildtrak does better on pavement is handle slippery/snow better (back end much less prone to fishtailing even in 4A/4H). This is true even though I have dedicated winters on the OBX and the stock Sasquatch tires on the Wildtrak. The Wildtrak has better visibility in all driving due to Sasquatch height. I think most of the Outer banks non-Sasquatch advantage is from the smaller tires, lower CG, and more appropriate on-roading gear ratio. Take them off road and the tables turn…..I don’t even take the outer banks there so really I can’t be sure!​
How much of this is attributable to tires I can’t say for sure! Based on my two broncos if I lived in a warm climate city and did a lot of highway driving, AND was never going to go off road, I would get a Bronco without Sasquatch. If I ever drove off road, or lived in a snowy place, or didn’t do daily driving on a highway for long stretches, I’d at least consider a Sasquatch.​

Last edited:

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How much of a difference is there in the suspension between a SAS outbanks and a wild traks?
From what I have heard it's significant, but I have not driven one. Hopefully someone with that experience will chime in.

LSW

Wildtrak
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Wildtrak, 2023 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have driven the hoss 2.0 in a black diamond Sasquatch (same as what OBX Sasquatch has) and have the hoss 3.0 in my Wildtrak. Granted I wasn’t doing the same trails/roads with them on the same day, and when I drove the Black D. it was aired down to 20 psi and I’ve never had my WT below 30 yet.

To me the difference is that really big potholes or uneven surfaces you’d want to slow down to less than 5 mph for in the hoss 2.0 you can take comfortably at 5-10 mph in the Hoss 3.0. When I first drove the Wildtrak on a trail I accidentally hit some frost heaves and huge potholes at 10-15; and when I finally saw them I was clinching, but the 3.0 soaked it right up and made me think “wow, is that all?”. I feel like in the 2.0 I might’ve been needing a back adjustment.

Phil James

Base
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I drove 750 miles to Montana and back. I didn't notice any difference between my two-door and any other vehicle. Smoother maybe, cuz of the weight.
... though with the exception of having to stop over and over again for gas. 😄

scolumbo

Wildtrak
First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I drove 1500 miles in 3 days going from Michigan to Florida last fall in my Wildtrak and loved the ride on the interstates compared to my two Wranglers. I'll be heading back to Michigan soon and have no qualms about the trip and the ride quality. It helps that I have a hardtop and my Wranglers were soft tops and much noisier, but the seats and ride quality are noticeablely better in my Bronco also. I would have dreaded the drive in a Wrangler.

Having said that, I made the trip in a Z4 and it was more fun, although a little unnerving sometimes next to the semis.

SilverTaps86

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I own exactly what you are contemplating... a Lux Sas Outer Banks with soft top. I love it. It is a daily driver for me. I am a real estate broker and drive city, small towns, and interstate. It is very smooth. Of course, my daily driver was a Ford F450 dually which will beat your teeth out without a trailer connected, so anything seems smooth driving to me. I have 34K miles on it now and did just switch tires to the Mickey Thompson Legend Exp's and it made the ride even better and quiter. The soft top is a bit noisy at 75MPH but not too bad. Good luck!
Sponsored