Sponsored

Rev Matching Without Ford Performance Tune?

fuesting

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello,

I really would like to get rev matching on my 2022 4-Door Badlands with 7MT. I really really want to keep the use of 87 octane gas. I'm not sure these two things can coexist by way of a known method.

- My understanding is the Ford Performance Tune is the only way to get rev matching for the 7MT.
- My understanding is that the Ford Performance Tune has to have the increased power tune applied thus requiring 91/93 octane fuel.

Is there a way to accomplish what I want (easily and under $1000)? I really hope there is.

Thank you in advance for the advice.
Sponsored

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello,

I really would like to get rev matching on my 2022 4-Door Badlands with 7MT. I really really want to keep the use of 87 octane gas. I'm not sure these two things can coexist by way of a known method.

- My understanding is the Ford Performance Tune is the only way to get rev matching for the 7MT.
- My understanding is that the Ford Performance Tune has to have the increased power tune applied thus requiring 91/93 octane fuel.

Is there a way to accomplish what I want (easily and under $1000)? I really hope there is.

Thank you in advance for the advice.
Ford Bronco Rev Matching Without Ford Performance Tune? 1719863968876-hn

Order a tune from Lethal and use 93 until you hit your $1000 threshold and then go back to regular?

@lethaljake , tune adjusts for 87, right?

Sponsored

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
To my knowledge there isn't currently another way to get "Auto" Rev matching, but you can run whatever octane you like with the ProCal. The Bronco has sensors and will just reduce the timing/horsepower.

OP
OP
fuesting

fuesting

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To my knowledge there isn't currently another way to get "Auto" Rev matching, but you can run whatever octane you like with the ProCal. The Bronco has sensors and will just reduce the timing/horsepower.
I would like this to be true but all my research points to this not being the case. Happen to know of any documentation that would state that? I actually just watched a buckle up buttercup video that stated the engine would have severe issues on 87.

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So. The tune will run with 87 octane. But you should not do that.

I know a lot of people have had good luck - no ill effects, it works just fine.

Butā€¦

I think you are rolling the dice doing that. Under the normal tuning (factory not ProCal) the engine starts out being very conservative and will ramp up the timing until it starts to detect any knock. This is how running higher octane can get you a bit of a boost even without ProCal

With ProCal in place though - the engine assumes you have at least 91 octane and starts off with much more aggressive timing and it allows higher boost values from the turbo. This is how ProCal gets the rest of that hp/torque boost. If you arenā€™t running that, it will knock, and the engine will detune to compensate - but itā€™s going to be knocking the entire time itā€™s doing that.

One tank of low octane gas - low odds anything will get damaged. Over time and several tanks of gas - something is probably doing to die a premature death. Especially if you lean heavy into high boost

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
$.80/gallon or $16 extra dollars a fill-up.
I spent over a buck more per gallon for 93 octane the other day, here in Chicagoland for my car that requires it. I wouldn't mind Bronco rev matching either, but the costs are too high, especially since I'm fine with the stock power.

amazingjason

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Samurai, 1966 442
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The ford performance tune is great. The power is great. The auto rev matching is great. Not having to turn off auto stop start is great.

If you canā€™t afford premium gas, enjoy your Bronco as is. If you can afford premium gas, enjoy the benefits of the tune.

I kind of think you shouldnā€™t have an inefficient, expensive, somewhat impractical vehicle if you canā€™t afford premium gas.

Jason

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The ford performance tune is great. The power is great. The auto rev matching is great. Not having to turn off auto stop start is great.

If you canā€™t afford premium gas, enjoy your Bronco as is. If you can afford premium gas, enjoy the benefits of the tune.

I kind of think you shouldnā€™t have an inefficient, expensive, somewhat impractical vehicle if you canā€™t afford premium gas.

Jason
For my part, my Bronco wasn't expensive, I paid cash for it, and it's not the vehicle I'd buy to hot rod around in. I know some people like having more power and that's cool, but it's not my thing.