Sponsored

QUESTION: Aluminum vs. Steel: aluminum or steel in car bodies?

Hooke RoadĀ®

Base
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Hooke Road
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hookeroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why is aluminum gaining popularity?
Aluminium has great advantages, both in terms of corrosion resistance and weight.
However, a critical question remains: aluminum comes at a higher cost compared to steel.
httpswww.hookeroad.comcollectionsjeep-jk-inner-fendersproductsfront-inner-fender-liners-for-je...png
2113.png

Both fender liners are suitable for the Jeep Wrangler manufactured by Hooke Road.
However, the right-side fender liner is an aluminum product designed based on the left-side steel fender liner.
In the future, we will also produce more aluminum products for different vehicle models.
So, what are your thoughts on these two different materials?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hooke RoadĀ®

Hooke RoadĀ®

Base
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Hooke Road
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hookeroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
If it's good enough to hold my beer, it's good enough to hold me.

Besides, nobody cares about the Wrangler.
Yes, but we care about your ideas.
So maybe we'll hear more from you before we develop more products for bronco!
:handshake::handshake:

Sir915

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Aluminum is great for most applications but I'd stick with steel for skid plates.

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition Max, Fusion Hybrid, HD Road King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What is the point here? Why?
Are owners saying they need it for their desert racing?

You can do fender liners in plastics or resins that are as effective as aluminum and cost way less..

And aluminum really is not a repairable material. Aluminum scratches, gouges, cracks, and deforms much easier than steel of comparable strength rating. Once it's messed up, you will be buying another (expensive) replacement. That doesn't seem conducive to off-road components.

Sponsored

DewarT

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No need to bash a vendor who is looking for constructive input...

Aluminum is lighter... that is probably the only perceived benefit in my mind.

Steel and aluminum can both be coated or painted with similar success and both will protect parts of the vehicle you are trying to protect. Aluminum deflects more, but some aluminums will have a higher ability to 'bounce back' under lesser bending loads. Cost difference should be minimal if you have the ability to weld both..

Over time- Aluminum will corrode and steel will rust- even if painted/coated correctly.

On my rock crawler, I use all steel skid plates because I will beat it on the rocks. On my 6G Daily- I would probably do aluminum if the price point were similar. I'm sure a higher percentage of vehicles here are going for the 'look' with many also used for light offroading and overlanding, but still also a daily. This would be where lighter but functional protection and looks would win the day.

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The choice of materials for fasteners is a big factor as well, Frequently with things like Fender Liners a vendor, or the end installer, will choose to use stainless steel fasteners, which is fine with a mild steel liner, but not so good with aluminum.

Compound that with the fact that using many smaller fasteners leads to a greater chance of breaking the powder coat or paint, and the risk for corrosion increases, also, many cheaper fasteners are not made with good quality stainless, and can rust themselves.

I'll choose a quality aluminum product with well thought out mounting and fasteners for most applications where I don't expect them to take a lot of direct abuse, like fender liners, Molle accessory panels, racks, etc.

If it's something I know is going to take a hit once in a while, Like a skid plate, rock rail, bumper, corner armor.. I'm gonna choose steel, I know I'll be replacing it on occasion, so cost is more of a factor.

65CarryAll

Heritage
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The last 2 door Blazer (ZR2)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Rust/corrosion is the deciding factor. Steel bodied vehicles rust away, sometimes in short order. Sure, aluminum can corrode, but nowhere near to the extent of steel. Ford F-150's have been aluminum for 10 years now and are still holding up great. And they will continue to do so. Since I keep my vehicles a long time (and tired of watching them rust away) this is most important to me. Thank you, Ford.

BigRed

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Rust/corrosion is the deciding factor. Steel bodied vehicles rust away, sometimes in short order. Sure, aluminum can corrode, but nowhere near to the extent of steel. Ford F-150's have been aluminum for 10 years now and are still holding up great. And they will continue to do so. Since I keep my vehicles a long time (and tired of watching them rust away) this is most important to me. Thank you, Ford.
X2!

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition Max, Fusion Hybrid, HD Road King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rust/corrosion is the deciding factor...this is most important to me.
I love the '65 Carry All. Cool then. Still cool now.

But I don't agree on the corrosion point (although I acknowledge that corrosion protection is important to you). There are way less expensive alternatives to managing corrosion exposure than using aluminum. With today's advanced coatings, you don't need to add a high cost material to manage corrosion. Good cleaning and maintenance routines will keep your car rust free for as long as you want. On the other hand, if your work truck is a beater, then what did you expect?

No need to bash a vendor ...
Bashing?!? You're way to sensitive.
OP asked an open ended question with a vague reference. And really a technical engineering question at that. Forcing the reader to guess what you are actually talking about is not good marketing. Pointing out they failed to provide adequate information is not bashing. If I schooled OP about 6th grade English, that would be bashing.

Steel and aluminum can both be coated or painted with similar success
Half true. Aluminum's oxidation coat requires different (more expensive) cleaners and primers than steel. Different chemistry.

Aluminum deflects more
Not true. It is the reverse. Steel has a higher module of elasticity (200 GPa) than aluminum (70 Gpa). Aluminum has the higher plasticity (deformation) than steel.

Cost difference should be minimal if you have the ability to weld both.
Not true. The cost to weld aluminum is significantly more expensive than steel and requires more environmental control ($$) for a clean weld. The HAZ effect on aluminum alloy tempers is more dramatic and can create a failure point or zone.

Over time- Aluminum will corrode and steel will rust- even if painted/coated correctly.
Not true. Raw aluminum oxidizes in nanoseconds with the oxygen in air. Once all the AL atoms have bonded with oxygen, a non-permeable, white crystal layer is formed coating the piece and oxidation stops, protecting the underlying AL lattice. Adding a coating (annodizing/powder coat/paint/etc.) further stabilizes and isolates the layer. Until the crystal structure is disrupted chemically or physically, no further oxidation (aka corrosion) occurs.

Iron corrosion will continue as long as water vapor and oxygen are present. The oxidized layer is permeable and allows water and oxygen to reach deeper iron atoms in the lattice. Adding a non-permeable coating isolates the the iron, until it is disrupted chemically or physically.

So, if you're cleaning and maintaining the protective layers, there will not be any further corrosion. Abuse it and loose it

Sponsored

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love the '65 Carry All. Cool then. Still cool now.

But I don't agree on the corrosion point (although I acknowledge that corrosion protection is important to you). There are way less expensive alternatives to managing corrosion exposure than using aluminum. With today's advanced coatings, you don't need to add a high cost material to manage corrosion. Good cleaning and maintenance routines will keep your car rust free for as long as you want. On the other hand, if your work truck is a beater, then what did you expect?

Bashing?!? You're way to sensitive.
OP asked an open ended question with a vague reference. And really a technical engineering question at that. Forcing the reader to guess what you are actually talking about is not good marketing. Pointing out they failed to provide adequate information is not bashing. If I schooled OP about 6th grade English, that would be bashing.

Half true. Aluminum's oxidation coat requires different (more expensive) cleaners and primers than steel. Different chemistry.

Not true. It is the reverse. Steel has a higher module of elasticity (200 GPa) than aluminum (70 Gpa). Aluminum has the higher plasticity (deformation) than steel.

Not true. The cost to weld aluminum is significantly more expensive than steel and requires more environmental control ($$) for a clean weld. The HAZ effect on aluminum alloy tempers is more dramatic and can create a failure point or zone.

Not true. Raw aluminum oxidizes in nanoseconds with the oxygen in air. Once all the AL atoms have bonded with oxygen, a non-permeable, white crystal layer is formed coating the piece and oxidation stops, protecting the underlying AL lattice. Adding a coating (annodizing/powder coat/paint/etc.) further stabilizes and isolates the layer. Until the crystal structure is disrupted chemically or physically, no further oxidation (aka corrosion) occurs.

Iron corrosion will continue as long as water vapor and oxygen are present. The oxidized layer is permeable and allows water and oxygen to reach deeper iron atoms in the lattice. Adding a non-permeable coating isolates the the iron, until it is disrupted chemically or physically.

So, if you're cleaning and maintaining the protective layers, there will not be any further corrosion. Abuse it and loose it
I assume then, that somewhere in all of that explains why we have a window of time that we can stamp AL body parts, construct the body, and get it through E-Coat?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

501-26 Body Repairs - Vehicle Specific Information and Tolerance Checks
2022 - 2023 Bronco
Description and Operation
Vehicle Specific Body Construction
For recommended metal repair guidelines and recommendations, refer to the following illustrations and:
For additional information, refer to: Specifications (501-25 Body Repairs - General Information, Specifications).

Bumper Beams

Bumper beams are typically constructed of high-strength (HS) or stronger class steel. If the bumper beam shows evidence of a kink or tear it is not repairable and must be replaced. The use of heat to repair these components is not allowed and will result in weakening the component. Minor damage made be corrected through cold straightening only.

Steel Type Legend

ItemSteel TypeColor
1Mild SteelYellow
2Bake Hardened Steel (BH)Light Blue
3Solid Solution StrengthPink
4High Strength Low Alloy (HSLA)Dark Blue
5Dual Phase (DP) 500, 600 Class SteelGreen
6Dual Phase (DP) 700, 800, 900, 1000 Class SteelFuchsia
7Laminate SteelTeal
8Ultra High Strength Steel (UHSS) Martensitic, BoronRed
9Transformation Induced Plasticity Steel (TRIP)Gold
10Aluminum/MagnesiumPurple

Front Floor

ItemDescriptionSteel Type
1Tunnel reinforcementDual phase (DP) 800 steel
2Crossmember assemblyDual phase (DP) 600 steel
3Crossmember assemblyHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
4Bracket supportHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
5Crossmember assemblyHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
6Lower side memberDual phase (DP) 800 steel
7Side member floorHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
8Floor pan assemblyMild steel
9Bracket supportDual phase (DP) 800 steel
10Lower side member extenstionDual phase (DP) 800 steel
11Side member floorHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)

Rear Floor 3 Door

1Rear floor pan extensionMild steel
2Rear floor panBake hardened (BH) steel
3Back panel assemblyHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
4Cross memberHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
5Rear side memberHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
6Center floor pan assemblyMild steel

Rear Floor 5 Door

1Rear floor pan extensionMild steel
2Back panel assemblyHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
3Rear side memberHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
4Center floor pan assemblyMild steel
5Rear floor panBake hardened (BH) steel

Cowl Panel and Dash Panel

1Upper cowl panelMild steel
2Cowl panel assemblyMild steel
3Dash panel assemblyMild steel

Roof

1Rear roof reinforcementBake hardened (BH) steel
2Roof bowHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
3Roof bowHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
4Front roof reinforcementBake hardened (BH) steel

Body Side Panels 3 Door

1ReinforcementHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
2Roof side reinforcementHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
3Upper quarter reinforcementSolid solution strength steel
4Drain troughHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
5Quarter panelBake hardened (BH) steel
6Body side panelBake hardened (BH) steel
7A-pillarBoron steel
8Rocker panel reinforcementBoron steel
9A-pillar upper reinforcementBoron steel
10A-pillar upper outer panelMild steel
11Roof side rail reinforcementBoron steel
12Roof side rail reinforcementBoron steel
13Roof side reinforcementBoron steel
14B-pillar innerBoron steel

Body Side Panels 5 Door

1Quarter panelBake hardened (BH) steel
2Body side panelBake hardened (BH) steel
3B-pillarBoron steel
4Rocker panel reinforcementBoron steel
5A-pillarBoron steel
6A-pillar upper reinforcementBoron steel
7A-pillar upper outer panelMild steel
8Roof side rail reinforcementBoron steel
9Roof side rail reinforcementBoron steel
10Roof side reinforcementBoron steel
11ReinforcementHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
12Roof side reinforcementHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
13Inner quarter reinforcementHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
14Drain troughHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
15Inner quarter panelMild steel
16Inner quarter reinforcementMild steel
17Inner quarter extensionDual phase (DP) 800 steel
18Inner quarter upper reinforcementHigh-strength low allow steel (HSLA)
19B-pillar innerBoron steel

Front Panels, Aprons and Side Members

1Fender apron brace upperHigh-strength low alloy (HSLA) 340 steel
2Fender apron brace lowerHigh-strength low alloy (HSLA) 340 steel
3Radiator supportHigh-strength low alloy (HSLA) 340 steel
4Fender apron brace lowerHigh-strength low alloy (HSLA) 340 steel

Front Door

1Door shell assemblyAluminum
2Door intrusion beam (part of door shell assembly)Boron steel
3Door outer panelAluminum

Rear Door

1Door shell assemblyAluminum
2Door intrusion beam (part of door shell assembly)Boron steel
3Door outer panelAluminum

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I think both steel and aluminum have their pros an cons... For a fender liner.... I like my factory one piece. I do not like the idea of multiple pieces that have to be attached to each other. You are not going to get up in the fender and weld those together on a DIY. That is why they bolt together and that is exactly where they fail.... long before corrosion of any kind. Look at the complaints for any brand steel or aluminum.... The joints fail, they become loose, they rattle, then a tire catches an edge and tears them up.... Me, I like a one piece polymer fender liner.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IIRC the 2015 F150 used a 7000 series aluminum and was virtually impossible to repair due to work hardening from dings/dents/hail/other impact. Ford forced us to buy a ton of body repair equipment to work on these including setting aside a space that was walled or curtained off to do the repairs. The idea was less chance of airborne ferrous dust falling on areas being sanded or worked with the special hammers and dollies. Can't remember the last time any of it was used since most of the repairs now are full panels already e-coated which are glued and use spr or regular rivets in specific spots for the mechanical bond. The less we expose bare alum the lower the chance of corrosion starting.
Sponsored