CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have had two occurrences within the past 3 days of the transmission downshifting and then not upshifting when slowing down and it seems to be stuck in 2nd gear (and the number is lit up in the instrument cluster, but the "M" is not illuminated).

I thought maybe I was hitting the "minus" on the side of the gear shifter, but the "M" on the dashboard does not light up and I would assume that it should if I did. It can be cured by manually shifting into "M" and then back into "D", or by turning it off and back on again.

I have 7600 miles on it and the transmission has not been touched.

Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have had two occurrences within the past 3 days of the transmission downshifting and then not upshifting when slowing down and it seems to be stuck in 2nd gear (and the number is lit up in the instrument cluster, but the "M" is not illuminated).

I thought maybe I was hitting the "minus" on the side of the gear shifter, but the "M" on the dashboard does not light up and I would assume that it should if I did. It can be cured by manually shifting into "M" and then back into "D", or by turning it off and back on again.

I have 7600 miles on it and the transmission has not been touched.

Anyone else have this issue?
You can use selectshift (the +/-) without it being in manual mode. Itā€™ll just show the gear selected. The dash will still show D, not M.
So I would guess you accidentally hit it.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You can use selectshift (the +/-) without it being in manual mode. Itā€™ll just show the gear selected. The dash will still show D, not M.
Thanks @Ducati1098. I have been paying closer attention, but the button does need a definitive press.

A few questions:

1. If I did hit it, would it stay in whatever gear it went into when the button was pressed?

2. Can that functionality be disabled?

3. No reports of the transmission downshifting and then no upshifting? The "2" on the dashboard is a bit of a tell take as I assume a malfunction would not cause it to light up.

Thanks again.

Could it be this?

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ing-into-manual-shift-mode.58121/post-1669811

Last edited:

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks @Ducati1098. I have been paying closer attention, but the button does need a definitive press.

A few questions:

1. If I did hit it, would it stay in whatever gear it went into when the button was pressed?

2. Can that functionality be disabled?

3. No reports of the transmission downshifting and then no upshifting? The "2" on the dashboard is a bit of a tell take as I assume a malfunction would not cause it to light up.

Thanks again.
1. Yes, but it also depends on the situation. Pressing the +/- in Drive is basically the same thing as manual mode, but itā€™s more of a temporary manual shift mode.
If youā€™re accelerating, letā€™s say in 5th and you press the +, it will shift to 6th if possible and hold it. However, the gear indicator should eventually go away (usually takes about 5 seconds or so) and it continue to shift on its own. But until then it will hold the gear selected as long as it can depending on speed/rpm. If this happens again, you should be able to press and hold the + button to make it return to normal D mode.

2. I donā€™t know of anyway to disable it.

3. The only time the gear indicator will show on the dash is if the +/- has been pressed in D, or if itā€™s in M mode. No type of malfunction should cause it to show up. So if it wasnā€™t an accidental press, there is always a possibility that there may be an issue with the button/wiring making it seem like you pressed it even though you havenā€™t.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have done this, usually when I'm trying to reach something at the right side of the little cubby in front of the shifter.

Super exciting when done on the freeway at 75.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have done this, usually when I'm trying to reach something at the right side of the little cubby in front of the shifter.

Super exciting when done on the freeway at 75.
When I intentionally press it, it is quite noticable, this has randomly happened twice. I'll have to pay much closer attention, but there are a few examples of what I am experiencing. There seems to be a bulletin about it to reprogram the trans.

@flip or @Ducati1098 - ring any bells?

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

When I intentionally press it, it is quite noticable, this has randomly happened twice. I'll have to pay much closer attention, but there are a few examples of what I am experiencing. There seems to be a bulletin about it to reprogram the trans.

Itā€™s always something isnā€™t it?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco Potential Transmission Issue? IMG_2751

This is the common TSB for generic 10R60 shifting concerns. Iā€™ve never seen any of the issues outlined in this cause the gear indicator to illuminate, but It certainly couldnā€™t hurt having your dealership look into it or to have them update the PCM to the latest calibration.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford Bronco Potential Transmission Issue? IMG_2751

This is the common TSB for generic 10R60 shifting concerns. Iā€™ve never seen any of the issues outlined in this cause the gear indicator to illuminate, but It certainly couldnā€™t hurt having your dealership look into it or to have them update the PCM to the latest calibration.
Many thanks!

Sponsored
OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It happened again and I am positive that I am not touching the button. The thing is, this is happening when slowing and then accelerating. It stays in 2nd gear and will not up shift. It is more than simply showing me what gear I am in, the transmission downshifts when I slow (from 50 to 20), but then remains in 2nd when I accelerate again.

I guess I will have to make an appointment with the dealer to see what is going on. Glad I have not changed the filter/fluid yet...no need to give them a reason...

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It happened again and I am positive that I am not touching the button. The thing is, this is happening when slowing and then accelerating. It stays in 2nd gear and will not up shift. It is more than simply showing me what gear I am in, the transmission downshifts when I slow (from 50 to 20), but then remains in 2nd when I accelerate again.

I guess I will have to make an appointment with the dealer to see what is going on. Glad I have not changed the filter/fluid yet...no need to give them a reason...
Interesting. Yeah I would agree happening this many times there must be a fault causing the issue. Keep us updated on what they say/find.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Interesting. Yeah I would agree happening this many times there must be a fault causing the issue. Keep us updated on what they say/find.
I just hope they find something versus "cannot replicate the issue".

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ahhh, ask that they give you the first transmission fluid change.. We can all wait for the Movie.. Getting the programming ā€œfixedā€ and new fluid should warm the transmission up to you.. it might start even liking you to drive it.. šŸ˜‚. I activity hate the transmission on the Big Bend 2.3L.. It has always upshifted under powered and Ford Dealer says there is nothing wrong with it.. šŸ˜”