Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I know there are a bunch of threads out there on the cracking/breaking issues at the front of the oem roof racks. I decided to be different and break the cover off the rear.

I don't see myself spending $750 for a complete new rail, so I'm looking at repair options.

Do I have any chance epoxy or plastic weld would hold? Anyone know what type of plastic these are made of?

I'm thinking I should probably attach it to the top cover that comes off. More surface area to put together.

On the plus side, here's some pictures if anyone wanted to know what's going on under the cover of the rear clamping mechanism.

Ford Bronco OEM Rack - Broken Cover 1693758487204

Ford Bronco OEM Rack - Broken Cover 1693758535876

Ford Bronco OEM Rack - Broken Cover 1693758568385
Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Not sure about what plastic those are... I am thinking an ABS formulation. I would use a solvent weld.... (ABS glue)...

Emilyblanks

Black Diamond
First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Sasquatch Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We just welded the exact same piece from the opposite side back on today. We shall see how well it holds up. I am still a bit frustrated that a cheap plastic part that can be removed from the side rail requires the purchase of the entire rail to replace.

IMG_3702.jpeg

IMG_4118.jpeg

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not sure about what plastic those are... I am thinking an ABS formulation. I would use a solvent weld.... (ABS glue)...
Agreed. If it's some type of thermoplastic you can possibly weld it. If it's a thermoset plastic it's more challenging. Thermosets usually contains fibers. Reminds me of tiger hair in fiberglass. Given its environment I'd lean towards a thermoset for this latch. Like any plastic UV is not their friend. Simply painting or overcoating them with paint or plastic dip helps extend their life.
Long story short. There's a bazillion types of plastic. You need to know what you have to bond it properly. Given the very narrow binding surfaces you have to work with I'd suspect the strength of any repair without mechanical support. Like epoxying in a piece of flat bar stock on the under side. I wish you luck for sure

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
JB Weld should work. Consider laying a thin layer of fiberglass on the inside to strengthen it.

Glade Runner

Everglades
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

You can’t buy just the part, seriously?

WTF Ford?
Sponsored