Sponsored

New Windshield: Any good glass replacement shops in Dallas? OEM vs. 3rd party?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Small local (independent) shop by me strongly recommends OEM glass on these Broncos.
He said he had issues with fit and finish with aftermarket glass.
Sponsored

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am in Dallas, Texas right now, and I need my windshield replaced. I have two cracks coming from either side of the windshield. Anyone in this area have a recommendation for a good shop to replace with OEM glass?

Any comments on OEM versus third-party replacement?

Thank you for any help.
Have had good luck with the Safelite on the east side of Plano. They replaced my Mercedes sprinter windshield a couple of years ago. Ordered the OEM one and the first one that came in had a scratch. They told me they would get another and did. Took the RV in to their shop and the job looked good when done... Would insist on OEM glass.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Op, look around for small independent, locally owned shops.
That's where I got the best pricing and more importantly, great service and installation. I'd been there a few times over the years and he's always done great work, giving thorough explanations of the repair and what to expect from it.
Of course replacements are pretty straightforward anyways.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Working on getting mine done, made it 16 months... I have a good Safelite that has done a couple of my cars and ins is covering it anyways.

OP
OP

AZWildTrak

Wildtrak
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Got it replaced today. OEM glass and recalibration, all in was a $1000. Insurance covered it without deductible.

Titan Auto Glass in Carrollton. They did a really good job.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

A little history. My father worked for Carlite for 15 years. He was with Ford for over 35 but only about 15 with the Carlite division. He was with Motocraft and Autolite before that. He got my brother involved in the glass business in the late 60’s and he ended up owning his own store and primarily did auto glass. He did it for over 50 years. Most of the local body shops and custom car shops used him exclusively because he knew his stuff.

Safelite’s main business model is volume using their own glass. They also buy OEM glass but only if you ask. They are normally the number one choice of the insurance companies because of their size and willingness to cut prices to the insurance companies. Unfortunately, their installation quality can be hit or miss depending on the franchise.

Many if not most dealers subcontract their glass work to local glass shops. The same holds true for many body shops. If you can find a good local shop, you should check them out.

That being said, I used Safelite recently (2020) only because no one could get me a side lite in a reasonable time for my Lexus. Side lites are not in as big of demand as windshields and inventory especially then was sketchy. I ended up using a Safelite side lite rather than a Lexus and I’ve had no issues. Still find random pieces of glass 4 years later but no other issues.

I guess people forgot about the thread with the Safelite guy sitting on the door of a Bronco while doing an install!
Sponsored