First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2022 Bronco Badlands with under 1300 miles and plagued with a mysterious battery drain. Three times into the service dept and no resolution. They initially thought it was a bad battery and replaced it with a new one. Three days later the vehicle fails to start while in my garage. Very difficult to jump start it, but able to get it running enough to drive to dealership. Once there, they said the battery was being drained by a phone cord plugged into the USB. Find that very hard to believe, but while the car was waiting for me to pick up from service, it wouldn't start for the service tech when he went to get it for me. This being the third attempt at the same repair, would it be considered a lemon, or has anyone else had the same issue and resolution?
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a 2022 Bronco Badlands with under 1300 miles and plagued with a mysterious battery drain. Three times into the service dept and no resolution. They initially thought it was a bad battery and replaced it with a new one. Three days later the vehicle fails to start while in my garage. Very difficult to jump start it, but able to get it running enough to drive to dealership. Once there, they said the battery was being drained by a phone cord plugged into the USB. Find that very hard to believe, but while the car was waiting for me to pick up from service, it wouldn't start for the service tech when he went to get it for me. This being the third attempt at the same repair, would it be considered a lemon, or has anyone else had the same issue and resolution?
Hi there. This battery drain concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well let's stat with any after market electronics, Lights winch etc? Your best bet is to get an AMP meter and place it in line with the positive lead from the battery. Start pulling fuses until the current drops. Chase that line.

Would I consider this a lemon? No I would not myself.

Your state law will determine if it is a lemon or not.

If you lemon law it, how long will it be until you get another one or would you move on to something different?

I would give the dealer service tech a chance to get it figured out, myself.

Mike

Fishwrinkle

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 GC overland 5.7, 18 GC srt 6.4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve been dealing with this for months now. the exact same thing on a 21 blk diamond. They replaced the battery, alternator and then they wanted to replace the pcm. I said nah I’ll take it home. Which I did cuz they were trying to say my speaker/amp install was to blame. It isn’t, I disconnected my capacitor, amp, line out converter, winch and all the aux lights. Guess what? Yup it still needs a jump once in a while and the acm I pretty sure is the problem. My navigation quit working and every time I get in or out of it the acm says this
IMG_2449.jpeg

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve been dealing with this for months now. the exact same thing on a 21 blk diamond. They replaced the battery, alternator and then they wanted to replace the pcm. I said nah I’ll take it home. Which I did cuz they were trying to say my speaker/amp install was to blame. It isn’t, I disconnected my capacitor, amp, line out converter, winch and all the aux lights. Guess what? Yup it still needs a jump once in a while and the acm I pretty sure is the problem. My navigation quit working and every time I get in or out of it the acm says this
Ford Bronco Mysterious Battery Drain IMG_2449
How much do you drive it? I have found on my F150 and my Bronco if I just go back and forth to work in about two weeks I will get the same message. I now take it for a 30 or 40 minute drive once in a while or toss a battery tender on it when I know I won't drive it enough.

It is the BMS that will cause this most of the time, because it does not detect the battery is at a full charge to allow all the electronics to work. It goes in battery save or Deep Sleep to shout off anything that is not need to just start the engine.

Any alarms, curtsy lights etc all get shut down.

Sponsored

Fishwrinkle

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 GC overland 5.7, 18 GC srt 6.4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So that lil doo hickey on the battery? Is the culprit? I drive 6mins to work but on the weekends I often drive a solid hour mostly highway to then proceed to offroad mayhem. What if I said that the dealer let it slip that they found 3 acm fuses with a draw when off. I’m now questioning how they checked this. Cuz if they had the door open(assuming fuses are behind the dash)wouldn’t this pull power from the acm because it controls more than the radio? You’d have to open door but latch it while open to trick the vehicle into going to sleep. Also you’d probably have to wait 15mins for it to sleep. This is why I took it back because I don’t trust any dealer. Really wish I had navigation/gps and ford pass. Cannot connect since 4/21

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So that lil doo hickey on the battery? Is the culprit? I drive 6mins to work but on the weekends I often drive a solid hour mostly highway to then proceed to offroad mayhem. What if I said that the dealer let it slip that they found 3 acm fuses with a draw when off. I’m now questioning how they checked this. Cuz if they had the door open(assuming fuses are behind the dash)wouldn’t this pull power from the acm because it controls more than the radio? You’d have to open door but latch it while open to trick the vehicle into going to sleep. Also you’d probably have to wait 15mins for it to sleep. This is why I took it back because I don’t trust any dealer. Really wish I had navigation/gps and ford pass. Cannot connect since 4/21
Most likely it is not bad it is doing its job (the BMS). The only way I know to check for any current draw is.
Connect Amp meter to positive lead and he battery positive terminal. An amp clamp may work for this but it is not as accurate.
Turn off all electronics
Leave hood open, but close all doors.
Let it set for 20 minutes
Check current draw
Pull one fuse in the engine bay fuse box ( replace if no change) until current drops off sharp. Chase that line.

Laurel

Outer Banks
First Name
Laurel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Battery drain on my 2023 Bronco ,was told Control Module on passenger door.

Gingerbigfoot

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you get any resolution to this? My situation is very similar. 2023 Badlands. The dealer said they can't do anything because of the hood deflector lights I have wired into an upfitter switch (which I've had for months before this issue started.)
After I charge the battery you can hear a relay click and what sounds like a servo open or close. It will do this every 2 minutes or so I've heard it even 12 hrs after I've turned off the vehicle.

OP
OP

MkegCincy

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you get any resolution to this? My situation is very similar. 2023 Badlands. The dealer said they can't do anything because of the hood deflector lights I have wired into an upfitter switch (which I've had for months before this issue started.)
After I charge the battery you can hear a relay click and what sounds like a servo open or close. It will do this every 2 minutes or so I've heard it even 12 hrs after I've turned off the vehicle.
Battery drain on my 2023 Bronco, was told Control Module. It was in the shop for the entire summer, so I pursued the lemon law. I had no aftermarket items installed (Thankfully) Took several months to get a new vehicle, but the new one is totally fine.

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The dealer said they can't do anything because of the hood deflector lights I have wired into an upfitter switch
Can you just unhook the lights and show it still occurs? Doesn’t take much to just clip the wire at the upfitter and resplice it back after you prove your point

Gingerbigfoot

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can you just unhook the lights and show it still occurs? Doesn’t take much to just clip the wire at the upfitter and resplice it back after you prove your point
That's what I'm going to have to do. They quoted me $400 to "remove" my wiring and then diagnose the problem. This was the closet dealer to me, I'm hoping the dealership I bought it from will be more willing to help.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's what I'm going to have to do. They quoted me $400 to "remove" my wiring and then diagnose the problem. This was the closet dealer to me, I'm hoping the dealership I bought it from will be more willing to help.
Dirt bag dealers

Gingerbigfoot

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So just to post a final update....
I removed everything I installed, took it back to the dealer I bought it from and after about a week they were able to fix it completely under warranty.
Somehow the factory alarm system (an option I don't even have!!) became enabled and was causing the battery draw.
No issues in the 3 months since.
Had the 1st dealer been able to see past the minor modifications and actually try to diagnose the problem they should've caught it.
Sponsored