Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If it’s almost perfectly balanced using the two rear slots, also using the front slots takes very little weight off the rear. It does add some stability though.
Y’all forget, these tops are very light and could be removed by one person if they weren’t so large and awkward.
A single line configuration from the cable hoist is way more than enough, though double lining it would slow the movement to half, which might be good.
I would only use the slots for removing and installing. Sitting it on a bottom cradle during storage, which seems to be what folks are doing who use the slots to move it.
I really couldn’t care less what Ford thinks, and know for a fact they would never sign off on us moving the tops this way , especially given all the crappy top issues they’ve had.
Sponsored

lalnx

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan, Rav4, had a 76 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You gave me a great idea for lifting using the hardware that is included in the OEM roof rack. By removing the rack, but leaving the hardware, I can rig my straps from my winch to the hardware. Since it's a two-door, the balance is different (than a mordoor)and I will need to rig to the front of the top as well, but this should be a better solution than running straps inside and out the glass. Pay no mind...just thinking out loud.
2 door balances just fine with the 2 point pick. I use channels and a cross member to the winch on a track, then roll it back onto 2X4s hanging from the ceiling and rest it there. I plan to replace the cross member and channels with the strap from custom tie downs. I also doubled the cable lift with a pully to slow it down by 50%.

Ford Bronco My DIY Homemade Hard Top Lift Ceiling Winch System 20230902_103631

OP
OP
Mrchoochoo

Mrchoochoo

Outer Banks
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I saw where you posted that you use this system to TEMPOARILY lift and set the top down on 2x4's, where you then move as you need/desire. Some of the items here I would change even for a temporary lift and would reconsider an alternate if hanging in-place for extended periods of time.

1. Assuming you have enough length, you should double your winch line. When I had my Jeep, I made my own lift and did a similar thing.

The HF winches has a spot on the winch body designed to accept the hook. Doing so DOUBLES your lifting capacity! Not that you need it necessarily, but you now have a higher factor of safety. Pic below is borrowed from @Johnny Mo and perfectly shows the double line configuration.

2. FYI, most people throw away their straps when they are cut and/or items get embedded in the webbing because strength is compromised. You managed to do both making your attachment connection. I would not recommend or do this. Spend the money and get the right strap.

3. I personally have reservations about using those slots to carry load. I have no data to support my reservations. But if I were to use them, I would use all 4 slots in conjunction to help spread the load more equally. Having less load on each isn't ever a bad thing. But honestly, given all the issues with the factory tops, I'm not sure the risk is worth the reward to even use them.

That last photo may be an optical illusion because you have the black on your homemade bracket, but it looks like it's separating.
A lot of great details I didn't consider. It's a work in progress and I am working on something that will put less stress on the top.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought about lifting from the top recesses but panel separation issues kept me from doing so .
That's called separation anxiety.
:ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nice job, OP, but did you check out Harkin Hoister? Very sturdy lift/pulley system, super easy to use solo and under $200.00. I can have my top removed or installed (solo) in 15 mins. Not being critical as I like you ingenuity, just another option…
Ford Bronco My DIY Homemade Hard Top Lift Ceiling Winch System A01D5D6E-B686-4492-BA34-225FB16A8CEF
Ford Bronco My DIY Homemade Hard Top Lift Ceiling Winch System 98D79EF8-3DA4-4125-B967-6E569BE83953
Ford Bronco My DIY Homemade Hard Top Lift Ceiling Winch System A7847952-EA90-4EB8-AA5D-FFAC3B0BE823

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice job, OP, but did you check out Harkin Hoister? Very sturdy lift/pulley system, super easy to use solo and under $200.00. I can have my top removed or installed (solo) in 15 mins. Not being critical as I like you ingenuity, just another option…
Ford Bronco My DIY Homemade Hard Top Lift Ceiling Winch System A7847952-EA90-4EB8-AA5D-FFAC3B0BE823
I use the Harkin hoist also . It works great. I found one unopened off ebay for $79 :)

Ford Bronco My DIY Homemade Hard Top Lift Ceiling Winch System Harkin

U2baby

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I finished my top lift the other day and it works extremely well and thought I would share. I bought a winch lift from Harbor Freight($99). A 6 1/2 ft strap(cut to 30in length x 2) from Harbor Freight ($8.99). 2 ft of zinc plated slotted angle from Tractor Supply($8). 10 ft of slotted framing strut I got from my electrician neighbor. Trolley rollers on Amazon for the winch to roll in the strut 10ft either way($28) . 1 Can of Plasti dip from Tractor Supply to coat the metal angles that lift from the slots on the top ($11). I used 2 of the 1/2 in spring snap clips from Tractor Supply ($7.99 ea)Miscellaneous nuts and bolts I had in my shop. I will need to buy a new controller cord and power cord for the electric winch lift because the carport where it's mounted is 13ft up and they need to be at least 20ft. This had made removing and installing the top so easy for 1 person. I spent less than $200 on all the parts. I will attach photos. Thanks to this great group for all the ideas.

Great design and thank, I copied it!

Nacho23

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I finished my top lift the other day and it works extremely well and thought I would share. I bought a winch lift from Harbor Freight($99). A 6 1/2 ft strap(cut to 30in length x 2) from Harbor Freight ($8.99). 2 ft of zinc plated slotted angle from Tractor Supply($8). 10 ft of slotted framing strut I got from my electrician neighbor. Trolley rollers on Amazon for the winch to roll in the strut 10ft either way($28) . 1 Can of Plasti dip from Tractor Supply to coat the metal angles that lift from the slots on the top ($11). I used 2 of the 1/2 in spring snap clips from Tractor Supply ($7.99 ea)Miscellaneous nuts and bolts I had in my shop. I will need to buy a new controller cord and power cord for the electric winch lift because the carport where it's mounted is 13ft up and they need to be at least 20ft. This had made removing and installing the top so easy for 1 person. I spent less than $200 on all the parts. I will attach photos. Thanks to this great group for all the ideas.

Awesome, well done!

Hard head

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

How much does the top weigh? I'm rigging up a hoist(harbor freight)in my garage. 15 foot ceilings, I am using a piece of old cord to lengthen my controls. Bent a piece of flat plate for the lifting points. I was planning to add a strap to the front for safety.

17150157845044893697707871492406.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mrchoochoo

Mrchoochoo

Outer Banks
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How much does the top weigh? I'm rigging up a hoist(harbor freight)in my garage. 15 foot ceilings, I am using a piece of old cord to lengthen my controls. Bent a piece of flat plate for the lifting points. I was planning to add a strap to the front for safety.

Ford Bronco My DIY Homemade Hard Top Lift Ceiling Winch System 17150157845044893697707871492406
Screenshot_20240506_124923_Gallery.jpg

MichaelCar001

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
2 door balances just fine with the 2 point pick. I use channels and a cross member to the winch on a track, then roll it back onto 2X4s hanging from the ceiling and rest it there. I plan to replace the cross member and channels with the strap from custom tie downs. I also doubled the cable lift with a pully to slow it down by 50%.

Ford Bronco My DIY Homemade Hard Top Lift Ceiling Winch System Screenshot_20240506_124923_Gallery
I can't even imagine building something like this in my garage. Besides, kids might think that those are swings for them.

Hard head

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Nice work - very similar to my setup. I had the custom straps made and then needed the hooks to be opened up more. @Fordified1 those hooks look like the have way too much lip up front unless you are planning on hooking the lifting straps to that.

Ford Bronco My DIY Homemade Hard Top Lift Ceiling Winch System Screenshot_20240506_124923_Gallery

I'm curious, is it possible to lift the middle panel with the back panel? I was looking at Lange originals hoist set up. I know you have to remove the middle panel to get to the top bolts

Screenshot_20240509_155916_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Mrchoochoo

Mrchoochoo

Outer Banks
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm curious, is it possible to lift the middle panel with the back panel? I was looking at Lange originals hoist set up. I know you have to remove the middle panel to get to the top bolts

Ford Bronco My DIY Homemade Hard Top Lift Ceiling Winch System Screenshot_20240509_155916_Chrome
It seem the the 1 latch that locks the middle to the back is the only thing supporting it. I saw that hoist but I dint want to spend that much and I love making my own stuff. I love your bracket thing you made with the struts. I am in the process of making one like yours...nice job
Sponsored