First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2DR Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IMO this looks great and is exactly what I would like to see in the market. I ordered a RTT from BA Tents on Black Friday and still thinking about which roof rack will keep it low profile. I don't plan on removing the roof panels either. Kudos on this one
I was very tempted to go with a hard shell from BA tents. The 5" height was super compelling and would have looked great on this modified rack. I just couldn't pull the trigger since I'm 6'1" and wasn't confident I could comfortably fit in one of their tents.
Sponsored

Peitnahtan

Base
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After extensive searching I determined that my ideal roof rack wasn't available on the market. I wanted a low profile roof rack for my 2 door Badlands, but most options were designed to allow the front panels to be removed with the rack still on, adding unnecessary height. Since I plan to add a rooftop tent, I didn't care about removing the roof panels and wanted to keep the final height of rack + RTT under 10 inches or less. I ordered an FSR Aspen Lite which is about 7.5" tall, so to meet my goal the rack needed to be as slim as possible.

This really limited my options. Prinsu offers a lower profile rack, but only for the 4 door, and the pro version isn't available yet (prinsu customer service said they're testing this now). I wanted a rack with 90 degree bent rails for strength, so the Prinsu was out. I knew the TrailRax was well regarded, and they have a 2 door version - it was just taller than I wanted. So when the TrailRax went on sale for Black Friday I ordered one knowing I would be modifying it.

All I did was cut the side rails to more closely fit the profile of the roof. I drilled new holes for the front and rear mounts, then cut a couple inches off the wind detector. Finally I had a local shop strip and redo the powder coating. I'm much happier with the final product and wish this was how it came originally!

*Disclaimer*
-Yes I know this voids the TrailRax warranty
-Yes I know I have too much time on my hands
-I probably won't get the Pak Tax side panels (the FSR tent is only 100lbs), but I'm sure I could still make them work with my modified rack if I wanted

20231208_170330.jpg

20231208_170420.jpg

20231208_170433.jpg

20231208_170453.jpg

20231201_140213.jpg

20231201_111114.jpg

20231201_111129.jpg
Looks way better!

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I went the other route and got the thinnest RTT I could find, which was the Inspired Overland RTT 2.0.
I have that installed on quick release mounts so I could take it off whenever I need to.
The RTT standing on it's short end against a wall takes up almost no floor space so it wasn't a big deal for me... until I broke my ribs in 8 places on Sept 1st and haven't been able to get the RTT back up since then.

Here's a pro tip for everyone that has the TRMR; You can leave the wind deflector on when removing the roof rack for the summer. Just unscrew from each side and the bolts on top of the Pakrax (and remove the Pakrax also).

Ford Bronco Modified TrailRax For 2 Door Bronco 20230426_175032

ElonMuk

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All the vehicles
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I went the other route and got the thinnest RTT I could find, which was the Inspired Overland RTT 2.0.
I have that installed on quick release mounts so I could take it off whenever I need to.
The RTT standing on it's short end against a wall takes up almost no floor space so it wasn't a big deal for me... until I broke my ribs in 8 places on Sept 1st and haven't been able to get the RTT back up since then.

Here's a pro tip for everyone that has the TRMR; You can leave the wind deflector on when removing the roof rack for the summer. Just unscrew from each side and the bolts on top of the Pakrax (and remove the Pakrax also).

Ford Bronco Modified TrailRax For 2 Door Bronco 20230426_175032

Which quick release mounts did you go with?

Sponsored

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

What is mounted on the bottom side of your TRMR rack? Is that a table? 🤯
There are actually two 25"Wx25L"x28"H tables in there, from GCI Outdoors.
I first got the K9 table mounts and spent the better part of 5 months looking for the perfect tables and settled with these. Very happy with them.

@TrailRax teased a similar table mount 2 years ago, and according to them, they should be coming out with their version later this year.

Overall, I'm quite happy with this setup, although the table mount is 1" too long for my 2 door rooftop.

JaxDiego

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I first got the K9 table mounts and spent the better part of 5 months looking for the perfect tables and settled with these. Very happy with them.

@TrailRax teased a similar table mount 2 years ago, and according to them, they should be coming out with their version later this year.

Overall, I'm quite happy with this setup, although the table mount is 1" too long for my 2 door rooftop.
Sick build! I was just checking out your other posts for some more ideas. I would have to relocate my awning to the side but I like the concept of utilizing that wasted space under the rack for stowage.
Ford Bronco Modified TrailRax For 2 Door Bronco 1714498484459-hi

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sick build! I was just checking out your other posts for some more ideas. I would have to relocate my awning to the side but I like the concept of utilizing that wasted space under the rack for stowage.
Ford Bronco Modified TrailRax For 2 Door Bronco 1714498484459-hi
Oh man, I've been dying to find a Defender style ladder. Care to share any details on this?

I saw in your other posts that you got your Waterport mounted up top! I did the same thing after months of contemplating. Getting everything to fit on a 2 Door has kept me up plenty of nights, and I dread thinking of how I'd get the ladder to fit. Love it!
Ford Bronco Modified TrailRax For 2 Door Bronco 20240308_080957

Ford Bronco Modified TrailRax For 2 Door Bronco 20231128_185825

Shawn_1121

Outer Banks
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco OBX A51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I need more info on those k9 mounts, looking to utilize the space under the rack on my setup

Ford Bronco Modified TrailRax For 2 Door Bronco 1714508694613-uz

Sponsored

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I need more info on those k9 mounts, looking to utilize the space under the rack on my setup
Although Trailrax has stated that their version is coming out later this year, I've been hearing that for 2 years so I understand if you can't wait.

This is the K9 Mount I used and the 2 tables I got were from GCI Outdoors.
I prefer having 2 square tables since I can use just 1 most of the time, and bring out the 2nd one if needed, and then it's bigger than 2 tables.

JaxDiego

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh man, I've been dying to find a Defender style ladder. Care to share any details on this?

I saw in your other posts that you got your Waterport mounted up top! I did the same thing after months of contemplating. Getting everything to fit on a 2 Door has kept me up plenty of nights, and I dread thinking of how I'd get the ladder to fit. Love it!

Amazingly the defender ladder fits almost perfectly without mods. 259 on eBay. The bolts that go in the bottom of the rails for the TRMR line right up. I just drilled a couple holes in the top plate of the ladder for the bolts.
I used the unused trailrax plate for the waterport above the rotopax on the driver side.

JaxDiego

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Different seller but this is what I got -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2667878437...Hc8DvlGMct3usYgFVrdfBqhQ7Q==|tkp:BFBMwoaMpOZj

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Amazingly the defender ladder fits almost perfectly without mods. 259 on eBay. The bolts that go in the bottom of the rails for the TRMR line right up. I just drilled a couple holes in the top plate of the ladder for the bolts.
I used the unused trailrax plate for the waterport above the rotopax on the driver side.
Once I figure out where to put the gear that goes on one side of the Pakrax, I am getting this. Thx again1
Sponsored