Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Luckily Carplay/Android auto pretty much future-proofs a lot of screens by essentially turning them to a TV and offloading the processing to your smart phone.

I’m not too worried. Nothing can be worse than the original sync touchscreen in my parent’s explorer, thing is a piece of shit and barely worked when new.
The touchscreen in my 2013 Escape has always worked well. Outdated as shit, but works for what it is.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Touch screen in my 2019 Chevy WT truck works great! Apple car play. Never use FM radio.
Plug in my phone. Use wayze and Pandora good to go

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is why we need all the driving assistant features: lanes control, emergency stop, etc. People more and more are driving around staring at their screens.

When a key selling point of a car becomes the screen, that tells you something.
This sounds like a good assumption to me.
I am a human person who lives in a the same world as the rest of ya, I love computers and have had one since I was 6 in the late 80s. However I own a flip camera phone. That is all I want the thing in my front pocket all day to do, call, text, and take a crappy pic. I also own a 3 year old tablet. It fits in my back pocket when I want to take it somewhere. it also sits on the backseat while driving. I use it in the shop or on work breaks, it is big enough for me to see a picture, a WHOLE picture. I also use a nice laptop at home. This is all I need. Honestly I have had several cars that didnt even have a radio. Screens on dashes suck. I will be making some sort of half assed cover it up modification to the one in my new bronco.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Very possible the "screens" will be the most likely to fail. Touch displays in cars is still relatively new and quickly evolving technology. Plus the Bronco will be getting the new larger screen. Hard to know how it will hold up compared to the 8"

Only parts I have changed on my wife's '17 F150 was the 8" screen assembly at 40k miles. Screen become unresponsive and GPS stopped working.

On my '19 Mustang I had to get the digital cluster replaced at 2k miles because it would not always turn on with the car.
I've had the screen in my '09 Flex for almost 12 years now and no problems with it ever.

Screen =/= bad lol.

Escape_Artist

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT;
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've had the screen in my '09 Flex for almost 12 years now and no problems with it ever.

Screen =/= bad lol.
I’m not saying it is. Just that as far as new products being put in the Bronco, a software glitch that causes problems wouldn’t be unheard of. You can test the crap out of test mules for mechanical failures but electronic bugs are harder to pinpoint on a few test models

Also I can guarantee the screen in your ‘09 Flex will not be the one in the Bronco. Different software and hardware. very possibly a new supplier.

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
not be the one in the Bronco. Different software and hardware
Ask Boeing about software glitches. And their MAX is 4th generation product from the 737 line.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ask Boeing about software glitches. And their MAX is 4th generation product from the 737 line.
it wouldn’t have been an issue if they wouldn’t been a cheap ass and installed the second backup sensor like the engineers recommended

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m not saying it is. Just that as far as new products being put in the Bronco, a software glitch that causes problems wouldn’t be unheard of. You can test the crap out of test mules for mechanical failures but electronic bugs are harder to pinpoint on a few test models

Also I can guarantee the screen in your ‘09 Flex will not be the one in the Bronco. Different software and hardware. very possibly a new supplier.
Lol, duh - I know it's not the same at all. My point was that just because you have a screen, doesn't automatically mean there'll be problems. I do agree that there will still likely be some bugs.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Didn’t they say that the new Sync system is supposed to allow over the air updates? So if there is any kind of glitch or software issue they can patch it?

Sponsored

FL Trucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Raptor, Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Escape_Artist

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT;
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol, duh - I know it's not the same at all. My point was that just because you have a screen, doesn't automatically mean there'll be problems. I do agree that there will still likely be some bugs.
I consider bugs to be a problem on a brand new vehicle. My original comment on the matter was answering someone’s question if the screen would be the weakest part of the new bronco. I think it has a high potential to have the most problems. Especially with how over engineered the rest of is portrayed to be.

Didn’t they say that the new Sync system is supposed to allow over the air updates? So if there is any kind of glitch or software issue they can patch it?
Yes I believe it is. Hopefully any issues are software only and can be fixed with an update. On my limited experience with my current 2 Fords neither could be fixed with an update and both required replacing the entire screen assembly. $$

Again just my experience and I’m sure most people will have no problems with any of it. But on a new vehicle with a removable roof, designed to be in dirty environments, I think the screens (infotainment and gauge cluster if digital) currently pose the risk of being the “weakest” part of the vehicle. Not hating on technology

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
So we can expect to start getting teasers again on Friday once F150 reveal complete? Hopefully anyway.
I doubt it. I think the bronco project is on lockdown till after the 4th. We might get a stupid teaser after the f150 but nothing new. (Something like the headlights of the f150 tease last week)

but after the 4th of July is when they will start getting the stage ready (literally) for the reveal, dealers will begin getting email updates. Websites will be getting ready to be published.

A LOT more people are going to be getting info. and the more people with info the more likely a leak will happen!

Ford Bronco Leaked! 2021 Bronco Display Screen / Center Stack, 7 Speed Manual Transmission Crawler Gear, Off-Road Package 2BE6DC2A-4438-454D-9A53-077343966F6E

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Again just my experience and I’m sure most people will have no problems with any of it. But on a new vehicle with a removable roof, designed to be in dirty environments, I think the screens (infotainment and gauge cluster if digital) currently pose the risk of being the “weakest” part of the vehicle. Not hating on technology
What about your phone? That's in dirty environments, gets wet, food on it, dropped and it still works. Not much different.
Sponsored