Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acadia, Ranger, Fusion, E450 motorhome, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello All! I thought I would share an interesting use for a 1/2" body lift. I purchased a 1/2" body lift from a guy on Etsy last week and installed it right away. It was a super easy install, and after some front bumper realignment the gap is acceptable to me. The rear in my opinion is going to need some work yet.

BUT here is the real reason I did the body lift: It gave just enough clearance on my spare tire mount to still use the stock Sasquatch Rim with our new 37" tires. See the pictures. I added a tailgate reinforcement and brake light relocation bracket, and despite the manufacturer telling me it would give clearance enough for 38's the tire still rubbed the bumper. I am guessing they assumed I would have gotten a different offset rim that would have made it all work. My wife and I are going for that "Factory Plus" look and didn't want to change out our factory rims.

I thought this would be good information for those out there with a similar issue. Cheers!

Ford Bronco Interesting Reason for a Body Lift: Clearance For Spare Tire Mount w/ 37's 1719845653427-j0

Ford Bronco Interesting Reason for a Body Lift: Clearance For Spare Tire Mount w/ 37's 1719845597808-ec
Sponsored

andersman02

Big Bend
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend 2.7l SaS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Looks great. good point on the bumper rubbing, something i really didn't think about. Really digging the tires

Any rim spacers? Have you ran it through full articulation/lock to lock to check rubbing?

My goal is to run 37's, without spacers, on stock sas rims with 0 rubbing and minimal lift (just enough to clear the tops of the fenders. I know it may be a long shot, already did JKS kit in prep for it

OP
OP
Denny3297

Denny3297

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No spacers currently*, JKS Kit, BroncBuster 1.5" Perch Collar Lift, 1/2" Body lift. I have not run it through the articulation yet, but My money is on no rubbing as there is a LOT of room in there now.

*I will likely be adding minimal wheel spacers, as the 37' JUST BARELY rub the stock UCA at full lock in the front side of the arm. Its not even close in the rest of the fender well, and I am certain the body lift helped here too.

VelocityBruno

Wildtrak
First Name
Julia
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hello All! I thought I would share an interesting use for a 1/2" body lift. I purchased a 1/2" body lift from a guy on Etsy last week and installed it right away. It was a super easy install, and after some front bumper realignment the gap is acceptable to me. The rear in my opinion is going to need some work yet.

BUT here is the real reason I did the body lift: It gave just enough clearance on my spare tire mount to still use the stock Sasquatch Rim with our new 37" tires. See the pictures. I added a tailgate reinforcement and brake light relocation bracket, and despite the manufacturer telling me it would give clearance enough for 38's the tire still rubbed the bumper. I am guessing they assumed I would have gotten a different offset rim that would have made it all work. My wife and I are going for that "Factory Plus" look and didn't want to change out our factory rims.

I thought this would be good information for those out there with a similar issue. Cheers!

Ford Bronco Interesting Reason for a Body Lift: Clearance For Spare Tire Mount w/ 37's 1719845597808-ec

37s on my SAS wheels with those same great tires! 🫡

I added the 2.5in RC lift to my 21 Wildtrak.

Screenshot_20240701_151631_Gallery.jpg

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

They make tire carrier options for addressing at least the spare issue.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Denny3297

Denny3297

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They make tire carrier options for addressing at least the spare issue.
I know, but this way was pretty cheap and had the plus of adding just a bit of extra height/tire clearance. :)

OP
OP
Denny3297

Denny3297

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

37s on my SAS wheels with those same great tires! 🫡

I added the 2.5in RC lift to my 21 Wildtrak.

Ford Bronco Interesting Reason for a Body Lift: Clearance For Spare Tire Mount w/ 37's Screenshot_20240701_151631_Gallery
Got a question for you: How is the balance on your tires? The tire shop had a "hard time" balancing ours and said they got it was good as they could. My knee jerk response to the shaking is to take it back, especially since it was so expensive. This is my first vehicle with tires this large, so I don't have a good feel for what the expectations should be.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Got a question for you: How is the balance on your tires? The tire shop had a "hard time" balancing ours and said they got it was good as they could. My knee jerk response to the shaking is to take it back, especially since it was so expensive. This is my first vehicle with tires this large, so I don't have a good feel for what the expectations should be.
I have a lot of balance weight on my AT 37s, but I dont have vibration issues, but in general they can be a PITA specially since the OEM rims are soo heavy to begin with. They should be able to fix it and/or put the problem ones on the rear at least.

VelocityBruno

Wildtrak
First Name
Julia
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't have any shake. Make sure y
I dont have any shake! Make sure you take it to a shop with the Hunter HD Elite Balancer!

https://www.hunter.com/wheel-balancers/hd-elite/#tech

This mac daddy machine makes sure you get a perfect balance everytime! And you can even ask for a road force balance.... it will put the wheel&tire under load while on the machine and tell the tech if the tire needs to be spun on the wheel for a better balance.

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Find a reputable 4x4 shop. They should have a tire machine and weights geared towards oversize tires.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Denny3297

Denny3297

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Find a reputable 4x4 shop. They should have a tire machine and weights geared towards oversize tires.
I feel the shop I chose is reputable. They told us they were "taking a lot of weight," and instead use balance beads. Problem is at 25 mph the steering wheel will actually wiggle a bit. It balances a bit at higher speeds but still shakes pretty good. Still get a Different shop?

Gangstead

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BD 4DR 7MT Soft
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My first time with 37s too. I've got different tires (Radar Renegade RT 37x12.50R17LT) and I've been back for balance and alignment three times in the first 10k miles of them, but haven't been back in another 15k since then. The dealership was the worst. 4 Wheel Parts got them a little better. Discount Tire (balance only) got it a little better still.

I bought the wheels/tires second hand (but unused) off this forum and they came pre installed with balance beads. I also gather that Renegades might not be the best tires, so maybe that's the root problem. Step number 1 is get the beads vacuumed out (if you have them) and regular weights put on. They don't work. Or at least they don't work for 105 lb tire+wheel combo. (the 32" Black Diamond steelies were 75 lbs per corner). Also you can't combine beads + weights.

As @Valhalla said a shop like 4wp that services big tire goons like us did a much better job on the alignment and they eliminated almost all the rub. There's still a little when turning sharp in revers, I have no idea why it's not the same going forward but that's common. Also happens with any sort of bump while turning.

With the balance beads + dealer alignment I had major shakes above 60 mph. With the 4WP beads replaced with weights + their alignment I could go almost 70 mph before the wobbles got to an alarming level. With the second rebalance of the weights I can comfortably got 75, but still start to get shaky by 80.

My take aways are:
1. Don't use the beads
2. There's a huge luck of the draw with how good of an alignment / balance you are going to get at each shop. So I can't make any blanket statements about dealers vs 4wp vs Discount Tire, shop around. I'll bet I could have gotten balances done 3 times at the same place and had different results each time.
3. Only pay for the 2 Wheel Alignment, not all 4. They will happily take your money and give you an alignment report with green checkboxes for the back wheels, and only after the second time did I notice the very fine print that says "back wheels not adjustable."
4. Accept that with 37s you are going to have to get rebalances done regularly to get it right, and more as the tires wear down. There's just so much tread and they are so heavy.
5. Accept rub and shakes can be tamed but not eliminated. I was trying to 100% eliminate it but someone on the forum here said "a little rub just means you've found the biggest tires you can fit" and it totally reframed my attitude.
6. 37s look cool as hell even if they don't actually make it a better off roader.

Gangstead

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BD 4DR 7MT Soft
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Also forgot the reason I came to post in this thread. My 37s were fitting on the stock carrier + a cheapo Rough Country reinforcement just fine. Mine is a Black Diamond so came with different offset (-55) and my aftermarket wheels had yet a different offset (-6) so not the same situation as @Denny3297 . I say it fit, but the tire was no longer resting on the bumpers. I ended up replacing the carrier with the Turn Offroad adjustable carrier and you can put that tire pretty much anywhere you want it. Lots of options if you want it high for clearance, or low for back window visability.

Before:
Ford Bronco Interesting Reason for a Body Lift: Clearance For Spare Tire Mount w/ 37's PXL_20240519_171205338.MP

After:
Ford Bronco Interesting Reason for a Body Lift: Clearance For Spare Tire Mount w/ 37's PXL_20240519_234709606

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I feel the shop I chose is reputable. They told us they were "taking a lot of weight," and instead use balance beads. Problem is at 25 mph the steering wheel will actually wiggle a bit. It balances a bit at higher speeds but still shakes pretty good. Still get a Different shop?
Find a different shop....

It has nothing to do with the place, only the person doing the job... Around here, lots and lots of big tire trucks...

I found a couple of little independent guys for my alignment and balancing... They are far superior to the box stores where I can get the tires at a reasonable price. The big box stores around here do alright... not great.

Oh and the beads, Just say no... and if they recommend them you know to go elsewhere....

These little independent guys do not sell tires, they can not compete.... they are just better at the labor end of balancing and alignment.

I run 40s... They are balanced out well and my alignment is awesome...

Flying Skunks

Badlands
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Sasquash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ever think about getting your tires Trued , then balanced ? you would be surprised how well that works .
Sponsored