Sponsored

How does the Spicer Ultimate Dana44 front axel compare to the Dana 44 Rubicon axel

ASKreager

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Wildtrack w Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I assume it’s somewhat comparable regarding durability and ability to run 35 and 37inch tires, but that is based on limited research so far. I have had a 4 door Jeep. Loved it on the trail, but it drove like a pig on the road. I did have a 3 inch lift, skids, 37s, etc. so that does not help highway manners. I have recently test drove both 2 & 4 door broncos with Sasquatch and loved them so n the highway. I suppose adding a lift and 37s would make them more piggy too. I am considering getting a Bronco and reinforcing axels and steering, but staying with 35s only and short lift to accommodate. . Decent daily driver and still very capable on the trail. I like the idea of upgrading to the Spicer axels front and back plus a 74 welds steering rack and heavy duty tie rods and running 35s. Would be very durable. See photos attached.
Ford Bronco How does the Spicer Ultimate Dana44 front axel compare to the Dana 44 Rubicon axel IMG_8811
Ford Bronco How does the Spicer Ultimate Dana44 front axel compare to the Dana 44 Rubicon axel IMG_8814
Ford Bronco How does the Spicer Ultimate Dana44 front axel compare to the Dana 44 Rubicon axel IMG_8815
Ford Bronco How does the Spicer Ultimate Dana44 front axel compare to the Dana 44 Rubicon axel IMG_8809
Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

My on the road manners are awesome and way better than expected. I do have some additional brake dive due to the coil overs that I run very soft and then Under sever braking I get some sidewall flex with a bit of bump steer.... My sidewall flex is because I am running 40s and I think I have addressed most of the bump steer with a relocation bracket from rock jock but need to test since I just mounted that this last weekend.

But as far as cruzing at 80... fricken awesome! Way better than any solid axle I have ever had. And the 74 Weld steering rack is tight and true. A really good "large tire" alignment tech helped a lot as well.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I feel like is it BigMeats has this setup?

Members definitely have the FDU here. That is on my list if I decide to keep my Bronco long term. I'm less than a year of ownership right now.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My on the road manners are awesome and way better than expected. I do have some additional brake dive due to the coil overs that I run very soft and then Under sever braking I get some sidewall flex with a bit of bump steer.... My sidewall flex is because I am running 40s and I think I have addressed most of the bump steer with a relocation bracket from rock jock but need to test since I just mounted that this last weekend.

But as far as cruzing at 80... fricken awesome! Way better than any solid axle I have ever had. And the 74 Weld steering rack is tight and true. A really good "large tire" alignment tech helped a lot as well.
I mean, you gotta show what you're talkin' bout here. 😁

OP
OP

ASKreager

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Wildtrack w Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
And. Am thinking maybe trailering some 35 inch Micky Thompson Baja Pro XS

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel like is it BigMeats has this setup?

Members definitely have the FDU here. That is on my list if I decide to keep my Bronco long term. I'm less than a year of ownership right now.
He had a thread where he was talking about it; can't remember if he actually got it installed, but did have it on hand.

OP: If you're wanting to run 35's, the WildTrak (Sasquatch in everything but name) comes with 35's and you shouldn't need upgraded axles. If you're going to wheel hard in rocks or mud, definitely the 74W rack is really good; otherwise, the HD (nee HOSS 3.0) steering rack is probably fine. You have that on the WT, too.

I would say get it and wheel as you do and see what you think. You'll probably want full plates, skids and the AntiRock sway bar before any upgrades to drivetrain, though.

OP
OP

ASKreager

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Wildtrack w Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Meant trailering the Nicky Thompson tires to the trail then mounting quick. I think these tires in 35 inch compete well with 37 inch mud terrain tires that are more road friendly

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

He had a thread where he was talking about it; can't remember if he actually got it installed, but did have it on hand.

OP: If you're wanting to run 35's, the WildTrak (Sasquatch in everything but name) comes with 35's and you shouldn't need upgraded axles. If you're going to wheel hard in rocks or mud, definitely the 74W rack is really good; otherwise, the HD (nee HOSS 3.0) steering rack is probably fine. You have that on the WT, too.

I would say get it and wheel as you do and see what you think. You'll probably want full plates, skids and the AntiRock sway bar before any upgrades to drivetrain, though.
+1

The M210 and M220 are designed for 35s. 37s are fine if you have a light foot. If you are a rock basher, use a lot of front locker with acceleration, angle, varying traction, you will break your front diff "eventually."

The standard steering rack is not.... Ford realized this and for all MY2024 Badlands, Wildtrack and Sasquatch models, Ford has now switched to the Severe Duty steering rack (Hoss 3.0).

OP
OP

ASKreager

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Wildtrack w Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Yeah it’s always tough to decide how much to do and what is needed. I agree about skid plates sway and winch and steering/tie rods first. I just have no way to judge if the existing stuff is ok. No experience with bronco

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Meant trailering the Nicky Thompson tires to the trail then mounting quick. I think these tires in 35 inch compete well with 37 inch mud terrain tires that are more road friendly
Yeah, I've been thinking about 38's w/portals (bump @5GENIDN) but decided those are probably not for me, at least yet. Now I'm back on upgraded 35's like the Mickey T's you're referring or some Maxxis. If they're expensive and soft, definitely trailer those in. I imagine you know about them, but I really like the Method Bead Grips, not having had them yet (I hear they're a bear to replace the tire, too grippy).

Then you can just keep the tires it comes with and roll those until they wear out. They're pretty quiet and handle well for large tires.

Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I think userdude is correct here. I have to admit, I do like the coilovers for ride but If you get the HOSS 3 suspension on the wildtrack I am not sure how much of an upgrade it is.... I came from a HOSS 2.

OP
OP

ASKreager

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Wildtrack w Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
+1

The M210 and M220 are designed for 35s. 37s are fine if you have a light foot. If you are a rock basher, use a lot of front locker with acceleration, angle, varying traction, you will break your front diff "eventually."

The standard steering rack is not.... Ford realized this and for all MY2024 Badlands, Wildtrack and Sasquatch models, Ford has now switched to the Severe Duty steering rack (Hoss 3.0).
I am fine to stick with the severe duty steering that comes with the Sasquatch now if that does the trick.
I think userdude is correct here. I have to admit, I do like the coilovers for ride but If you get the HOSS 3 suspension on the wildtrack I am not sure how much of an upgrade it is.... I came from a HOSS 2.

OP
OP

ASKreager

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Wildtrack w Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
All good info so far and thanks. Can anyone make a comparison of the axels that come stock in the Bronco wild track with Sasquatch vs the rubicon. I realize this is a Bronco thread, but there have to be be ex or current Jeep/bronco folks that know. I just have no experience with the Bronco to know how it compares.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah it’s always tough to decide how much to do and what is needed. I agree about skid plates sway and winch and steering/tie rods first. I just have no way to judge if the existing stuff is ok. No experience with bronco
I've built a few rigs in my time, and actually used to work for an aftermarket shop.

I studied race engineering in college in Nascar territory.

For me armor is always #1, but that doesn't mean you need to go overboard. Armor adds a lot of weight. Lowers payload, fuel economy, and more weight isn't that helpful offroad. :)

So covering the basics is huge. Full drivetrain protection, fuel tank protection. Rock sliders. That should be the starting point. Then the rest a lot of times is dependent on the platform, some vehicles like the older Colorado have really exposed rear shock mounts, they need sliders.

A winch is nice to have. I use to include them day 1, but now have not been. Tire technology, disconnecting sway bars, lockers are all making winches less necessary except for the hardcore wheelers, mudders, or snow wheelers.

Now if you are solo a lot, absolutely get a winch day 1.

My advice, make sure you cover the basic driveline protection and rock sliders, have recovery equipment, air compressor and pressure gauge, then get out there and figure out what else you need.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

All good info so far and thanks. Can anyone make a comparison of the axels that come stock in the Bronco wild track with Sasquatch vs the rubicon. I realize this is a Bronco thread, but there have to be be ex or current Jeep/bronco folks that know. I just have no experience with the Bronco to know how it compares.
They are all modern gen (3rd gen???) Dana 44s and they are designed for very similar torque capacities.
Sponsored