Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Correct. It's not like it was some sort of National Monument or anything natural. It was equivalent to a 100 year old telephone pole or fence post. It was a low tower part of a salt mining tram.
What part about 'historical monument' is confusing you?
Sponsored

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SMH. What might not be of importance to you is of little consequence. What might be of importance to you , hopefully someone else doesn't trash thinking the same way .
If someone in the future asks why their local trail was shut down, point them to this thread.. A lot of the responses here will help to answer that question..

OP
OP
Rydfree

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If someone in the future asks why their local trail was shut down, point them to this thread.. A lot of the responses here will help to answer that question..

Yep , but shutting down trails is not the only thing this type of thinking does. You can pick just about any topic and there are those that do not care and will cause everyone to lose privileges. One of my hobbies is RC aircraft. I've been around it for quite some time. I started with helicopters back before gyros then moved into planes and then drones. We used to build drones using a big gyro on each arm just to get it to hover,lol. Along comes a company called DJI and people could buy them off the shelf that pretty much can fly by themselves. People that never cared for RC in the past and never would spend the time and energy to build their own were now able to fork over a few hundred $$$ and go out and just move the sticks around. So many were telling them not to fly in places they should not and we all got the same carelessness attitude that it isn't hurting anything. Jump to today and you can barely (legally) fly anything , including the planes and helis that were never an issue , without jumping thru hoops and registering the damn toy. The ones that caused all the ruckus and regulations didn't even stick around because they were not enthusiast to begin with. They just left us with the repercussions. Don't even get me started on firearms and the ignorant attitudes that cost us all in that area .

Last edited:

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep , but shutting down trails is not the only thing this type of thinking does. You can pick just about any topic and there are those that do not care and will cause everyone to lose privileges. One of my hobbies is RC aircraft. I've been around it for quite some time. I started with helicopters back before gyros then move into planes and then drones. We used to build drones using a big gyro on each arm just to get it to hover,lol. Along comes a company called DJI and people could buy them off the self that pretty much can fly by themselves. People that never cared for RC in the past and never would spend the time and energy to build their own were now able to fork over a few hundred $$$ and go out and just move the sticks around. So many were telling them not to fly in places they should not and we all got the same carelessness attitude that it isn't hurting anything. Jump to today and you can barely (legally) fly anything , including the planes and helis that were never an issue , without jumping thru hoops and registering the damn toy. The ones that caused all the ruckus and regulations didn't even stick around because they were not enthusiast to begin with. They just left us with the repercussions. Don't even get me started on firearms and the ignorant attitudes that cost us all in that area .
Here is a post made elsewhere on the internet re the topic of respecting the land and environment.

"It is like what happened on our on the Beach and everyone talking about don't drive in the dunes we even had the sea turtle researcher talk to us since it was nesting time, and near the end of the event three Boneheads tore off through the dunes.

All the good clubs in the area have been doing with fund raising and helping the community was destroyed in that 55 seconds of Dumbassery. If there are enough of these types of situations we will all be looked at as bad. Remember just because your vehicle can do it doesn't always mean you should do it"

jbellousux

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘13 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Tram is on the National Register of Historic Places and Death Valley in one of 63 US National Parks.
I’ve been to Death Valley and 46 other National Parks. I have not seen any signs in any of them to drive wherever you want to.

There are some great and challenging roads in many of our National Parks. I highly recommend White Rim Trail and Elephant Hill Road in Canyonlands. But these areas are not Off Road Parks. These Parks have many specific rules which are designed to preserve these areas for others use for generations to come. In general, firearms are prohibited and dogs are not allowed (at least on hiking trails).

Hopefully, the vast majority of people on this forum will “Leave No Trace” and adhere to the other rules of OUR National Parks, so our children and grandchildren can enjoy them in the unspoiled beauty that the National Park Service is trying to preserve.

The attached pictures are
DSC_4775.jpeg
DSC_4789.jpeg
DSC_4788.jpeg
of a tram to the Keane Wonder Mine (an old Gold Mine in DVNP). I think most would agree that scenery like this is worth preserving.

Sponsored

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Tram is on the National Register of Historic Places and Death Valley in one of 63 US National Parks.
I’ve been to Death Valley and 46 other National Parks. I have not seen any signs in any of them to drive wherever you want to.

There are some great and challenging roads in many of our National Parks. I highly recommend White Rim Trail and Elephant Hill Road in Canyonlands. But these areas are not Off Road Parks. These Parks have many specific rules which are designed to preserve these areas for others use for generations to come. In general, firearms are prohibited and dogs are not allowed (at least on hiking trails).

Hopefully, the vast majority of people on this forum will “Leave No Trace” and adhere to the other rules of OUR National Parks, so our children and grandchildren can enjoy them in the unspoiled beauty that the National Park Service is trying to preserve.

DSC_4775.jpeg
DSC_4789.jpeg
DSC_4788.jpeg
of a tram to the Keane Wonder Mine (an old Gold Mine in DVNP). I think most would agree that scenery like this is worth preserving.
I agree. We need to protect our ability, and the ability of future generations, to have access to these areas..

Destroying things, not respecting the land and environment are things that will quickly put a halt to that..

The problem is, as you can see by many of the responses in this thread, is that were are fighting against a lot of people who just don't care..

Awesome photos thanks for sharing them!

Last edited:

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This shit pisses me off:
"this was an unmarked piece of junk in the middle of nowhere".
Like, that means it's cool to just destroy things? Get that crap out of here.

Leave no trace means leaving no trace you were ever there.

OP
OP
Rydfree

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ford Bronco Hope this wasn't a Bronco owner DSC_4788
You mention Canyonlands and we were just there a few weeks ago. Absolutely beautiful. I saw this on the news yesterday. I guess it's no big deal . It was probably just old stuff nobody cared about anyway.

https://www.ksl.com/article/5101594...pected-of-archeological-theft-in-canyonlands-

jbellousux

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘13 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You mention Canyonlands and we were just there a few weeks ago. Absolutely beautiful. I saw this on the news yesterday. I guess it's no big deal . It was probably just old stuff nobody cared about anyway.

https://www.ksl.com/article/5101594...pected-of-archeological-theft-in-canyonlands-
WTF is wrong with people? I can forgive the guy who toppled the tower since he turned himself in and had no ill intent.

But thievery? A little Old Testament or Medieval treatment seems in order.

Sponsored

Wathoff24

Outer Banks
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
SMH. What might not be of importance to you is of little consequence. What might be of importance to you , hopefully someone else doesn't trash thinking the same way .
So just because some mining company was too lazy or cheap to remove their equipment after they were done with the land somehow makes their work debris important and/or historical. These towers and there are more than just a few, pretty much destroy the natural landscape.

Wathoff24

Outer Banks
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What part about 'historical monument' is confusing you?
I don't know. What part of abandoned mining equipment makes you think it's an "historical monument"? The Salt company folded up and they just left their trash on the landscape and you think it's "Historical". What BS line of thinking is that!

EasternSierra

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't know. What part of abandoned mining equipment makes you think it's an "historical monument"? The Salt company folded up and they just left their trash on the landscape and you think it's "Historical". What BS line of thinking is that!
Historic stuff like that in National Parks and on other federal land is protected by law no matter what you think about it.

Leaving aside the particulars of this one incident, we don't get to go out there and damage, remove, or destroy historic stuff because we, as an individual or a group, decide it's trash and needs to go.

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Historic stuff like that in National Parks and on other federal land is protected by law no matter what you think about it.

Leaving aside the particulars of this one incident, we don't get to go out there and damage, remove, or destroy historic stuff because we, as an individual or a group, decide it's trash and needs to go.
I seriously hope that several people in this thread are just trolling and only mall crawl. Some of the behaviors and attitudes shown in this thread are dangers to anyone and everyone who enjoys getting out on the same trails..

Please educate yourself..

The National Parks Service states the following:

"Saline Valley Salt Tram is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is considered nationally significant because of its age, length, steepness, preservation, and scenic setting.”

There is no indication in your post history that you actually off-road so based on that and your I don't care attitude, it's a good thing that you don't. Please keep it that way and stay off trails.

Your attitude towards off-roading and the preservation of our ability to continue using these lands is flat out dangerous and disgusting! It is counter to everything the responsible adult off-roading community stands for and fights for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.