First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Raptor, Lexus LC500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So my need is to tow my boat trailer. Hooking it up with my old ball mount is next to
Impossible due to the spare. If I want to use my cargo carrier and be able to switch to towing my boat, I was trying to not have to buy multiple items. It sounds like there is no good single solution. And to be able to open the tailgate with the boat behind the truck, I am still going to have to get a longer tongue on my trailer. I guess I am trying to decide if the difference between an 8” or a 12” extension will make a drastic enough of a difference. I do only tow the boat occasionally and not more than 40 miles.
Sponsored

BuaidhNoBas

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak, 2022 Expedition Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have this one:

https://www.rei.com/product/187296/kuat-hi-lo-pro-hitch-extension

I only use it for my bike rack. It’s got a screw-down stabilizer that keeps it from rattling and I like that it gives you a 2 inch rise or drop (your choice). It sticks out right to the edge of my (Sasquatch) spare and I leave it on all the time as a little extra protection in case I get rear ended.

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands with Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am looking to get an extension for my receiver hitch to clear the big spare. They are offered in multiple lengths. Anyone bought one yet? Looks like I might be able to get by with 8” but 12” gives a little extra. But I worry anbout the extra length being a longer lever. Any thoughts?
I am having the same problem...I just bought a ball mount that is 10.5 inches from the receiver hole to the center of the ball and my crank on my pop interferes with the spare...I just bought another that is 12.5v from the hole to the center of the ball...am I pushing the limits on the leverage that will create with a 1500lb pop up trailer??? I know it's the same question you have but I've not seen any reply yet...

OP
OP

jhruzek

Raptor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Raptor, Lexus LC500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think you might be better off no extending the ball mount further, but getting a tongue extension added to the trailer. Generally, the tongue on the trailer is a heavier and thicker material vs the ball mount. Additionally, the pivot point (the ball) is better closer to the truck, from my limited amount of engineering understanding.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have an extended ball mount for towing my small enclosed trailer. It works better than a hitch extender because there's less slop with having only one slip-fit joint instead of two. I have the 15-3/4" one from eTrailer and it's the perfect length for placing the ball just past the spare tire enough to easily hitch the trailer (12.50 wide tire on a 0mm offset wheel). Get a Hitch Tightener too to take out the remaining slop.

This doesn't solve for bike racks and gear baskets. For those you can get a hitch extender. They're not that expensive. It's worth it to use the right gear for towing, which is a longer ball mount, and a hitch/receiver extender for racks and baskets.

Ford Bronco Hitch extension 365780181_10229372609356456_5085537065566963177_n
Sponsored