Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Has anybody drilled holes into their hardtop yet to install antennas? I'm looking to install a few antennas for work and they'll need to be on the roof.
Sponsored

MtnTopComms

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi Q5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Actually there are a variety of options for antenna mounting that intentionally don't involve the roof. What bands do the antenna's operate in?

OP
OP
Tmurder1776

Tmurder1776

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Actually there are a variety of options for antenna mounting that intentionally don't involve the roof. What bands do the antenna's operate in?
A tri-band VHF/UHF/7-800 NMO whip and a panorama cell/gps/wifi antenna. The NMO and Panorama need to be mounted to a flat surface. I know I could do single bands on the tailgate, lips, or trail sights, but then I'd need one for each band and I don't want an antenna farm.

MtnTopComms

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi Q5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ok so food for thought, you can do A pillar NMOs on both sides (I am doing this with the Mountain to Metal bracket) and do VHF/UHF on one side and 700/800 on the other and then if they are two separate radios (or then can join them together with a combiner if they are on the same radio.

Now as for the panorama, my plan (as I have the same problem, but not yet built) is to fab a bracket to go over the brake light to hold the panorama. It's slightly below the roof line but really you're not likely to see much of a difference.

Another option would be a half roof rack and you could mount the panorama on that.

You really can't mount to the roof on the bronco effectively because it's not structurally set up for that and since it's not metal it offers no ground plane benefits.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tmurder1776

Tmurder1776

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ok so food for thought, you can do A pillar NMOs on both sides (I am doing this with the Mountain to Metal bracket) and do VHF/UHF on one side and 700/800 on the other and then if they are two separate radios (or then can join them together with a combiner if they are on the same radio.

Now as for the panorama, my plan (as I have the same problem, but not yet built) is to fab a bracket to go over the brake light to hold the panorama. It's slightly below the roof line but really you're not likely to see much of a difference.

Another option would be a half roof rack and you could mount the panorama on that.

You really can't mount to the roof on the bronco effectively because it's not structurally set up for that and since it's not metal it offers no ground plane benefits.
I was thinking about doing a grounded plate under the hard top like we do on motorcycle installs. But a bracket for the panorama isn't a bad idea.
Maybe get a half rack roof rack?
I have plans for a custom roof rack with proper ground planes. I've sent it to a ton of welders and haven't gotten a yes yet.

MtnTopComms

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi Q5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The panorama I was planning to use was long and skinny so it lent itself to that but I know some use the round.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The thought of compromising the OEM hardtop even more makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

OP
OP
Tmurder1776

Tmurder1776

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The panorama I was planning to use was long and skinny so it lent itself to that but I know some use the round.
I have the round great white from an uninstall I did. I know panorama has some other mounts but I think they're more meant for temp applications.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you can find a suitable antenna that's a 1/2 wave instead of a quarter wave, you don't need a ground plane. Half wave antennas can be mounted anywhere.

The flat surface requirement for a 1/4 wave antenna assumes a metallic flat surface that functions as a ground plane.

Sponsored

Rocky905

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BADLANDS non-SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A tri-band VHF/UHF/7-800 NMO whip and a panorama cell/gps/wifi antenna. The NMO and Panorama need to be mounted to a flat surface. I know I could do single bands on the tailgate, lips, or trail sights, but then I'd need one for each band and I don't want an antenna farm.
I had a Tri-band mounted on the edge of the hood on my 4Runner. This was on the side opposite the OEM radio antenna, about even with the OEM radio antenna. Was for VHF/UHF ham radio bands. Don’t see why that would not work for BRONCO. Easy installation and wiring to interior with no drilling.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have the round great white from an uninstall I did. I know panorama has some other mounts but I think they're more meant for temp applications.
Check with these guys - https://www.whelen.com/ my buddy used to work for them, they apparently were test fitting a Bronco a couple years back, probably for some Forest service or other Ranger type fleet vehicles. He left a couple years ago so not sure where they are on Bronco products yet or if they even sell to the public.

Fasteddy

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2 Door, 1992 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I found this interesting spot just above rear cross bar, I was thinking of using the ASP 3/8" style NMO with a ground plane sheet on the underside for a 7/800 5/8 wave...

Ford Bronco Hardtop antennas 20240601_093014
Sponsored