Sponsored

Goodyear vs BFG Sawzall and machete style!

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I did some tire cutting today. I forgot to take any pics but maybe I can when I get to the last tires I have to cut. I am cutting up old used up tires for my wifes gnome garden on the hill behind our house. So the first ones I cut I used a ancient(for the jungle) ryobi sawzall that miraculously worked for a while. When I got to the next set yesterday the sawzall succumbed to the ravages of internal rust. So in my wisdom I discovered that it is actually faster to cut the sidewall out of a tire with a cane knife style machete of all things.

That brings me to the point of this that yall may find interesting. I cut up BFG A/Ts and Goodyear Wrangler M/Ts (they were not the hardcore kevlar ones they were the basic M/T which is only marginally better tread style than the standard BFG all terrains. Both of these tires a generation old so they are not directly representative of the current offerings. They may however give a little insight into historic quality.

The BFGs were quite easy to cut each pass with the machete traveled about and inch and a half through the sidewall turning around the circle fairly easily. The goodyears however took a lot of sweat work with that machete. Each stroke of the blade and maybe a half inch of rubber sidewall yielded. The goodyear took longer than two of the 2 BFGs combined. Its sidewall was atleast 50% thicker than the BGF. It was alot of work cutting through that tire. Even the drill holes to get the machete started took twice as long to drill out.

I know alot of people swear by the BFGs and I have had a few sets myself. However each set I have had required a tire plug before the tread was gone and I had a total of 2 sidewall punctures out of 12 tires total. These were not ran on my hardcore offroaders, only on my regular vehicles which typically just see the daily hill climb and dirt roads with the occasional field or farm road. The goodyears came with my old CJ7 and I did wheel them for about a year before switching to larger 32s. I dont really have a reason but have never had alot of confidence while driving BFG A/Ts. I have felt confident in their Radial T/A classic and drag radials but for different reasons.

While the GoodYear Territories may not be a true M/T tire and not even close to the Super Swampers I plan to put on my Bronco. I do feel they are probably a major upgrade over the BFGs as I feel that it is likely that Goodyear maintained this edge over BFGs offerings.

Anyone else crudely destroy a tire and have any insight on its durability?

The tires I cut are not in this picture but eventually they will be in the background area of this.
Ford Bronco Goodyear vs BFG Sawzall and machete style! gnome

This picture is of some artwork my lovely wife Josi made me for Valentines Day.
Ford Bronco Goodyear vs BFG Sawzall and machete style! lava
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Nice! Very creative engineering analysis here!

I am on Duratrac MTs and think they are a great long lasting tire. I think the $695 upcharge for the optional 33" Territory MTs on the Badlands is a rip off (basically paying for tires twice), so my plan is to get the KOs and replace them with Territories or maybe 34" Duratracs when they wear out.

I haven't decided on the optional Badlands wheels. I like how they look, but would prefer the lower offset of the Sasquatch wheels. It would be nice to know how much one of the optional Badlands wheels (with beauty ring) weighs, and one of the Squatch wheels. (Raptor wheels are said to be 32lbs online.) I don't need them, and they are heavy (35.6lbs ea), but the DOT legal Hutchinson Rock Monsters are really cool. I may just wait for used Squatch take offs.

OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I do think that the Goodyears are a good choice for squatch. Simply because they are as tough as sasquatches feet. Upcharging to get them in 33s probably isnt a super great choice given that 695 gets you halfway to swampers. But for squatch and wildtrack I think the goodyears will hold up.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Interesting. Never know about anecdotal info. I've never liked Goodyears because we ran them at work and I was always getting sidewall punctures. I never actually wore out a set because I had to keep replacing them one at a time. I don't like BFG KO's either (although I keep it to myself on this forum 'cause there's alot of true believers) because the first half seems to wear very quickly and the second half never goes away. I have Coopers now, which got a lot of hate on another thread for dry rot, I like them and so far so good 1 set is 1yr one set is 2yrs, we'll see.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
All the BFG KO/KO2 I had that picked up nails never leaked, some didn’t even leak after the nail, which clearly went all the way through was removed.

What scares the crap out of me is the huge number of BFG KOs I still see driving along the highway, those things are long out of date and need to be trashed.

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Interesting! I can't seem to kill my Duratracs. 56K miles or so and doing 5 tire rotations they still have a astronomical amount of tread left. I'm pretty sure by how few miles I drive a year they will be replaced due to dry rot before I wear them out. Hopefully the Bronco gets here before that.
Sponsored