Sponsored

(fun list!) Bronco accessories to be avoided! (keep it friendly)

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Mine had the hood protector when I bought it. While I don’t love the looks, I also don’t have any windshield chips in 18,000 miles.
I just can't buy that a small change in wind direction could affect the path of a rock that's big enough to chip a windshield - the physics just aren't there (right?). Bugs maybe.

Last edited:

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just can't buy that a small change in wind direction could affect the path of a rock big that's enough to chip a windshield - the physics just aren't there (right?). Bugs maybe.
I don’t argue for or against it. I’m just giving personal experience so far with one that was already installed when I bought mine. But factually speaking…people are going to do whatever the heck they want to do, regardless of what anyone else says or does.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would add the factory optional roof rack for a 4-door to the “do not buy” list.

In addition to having plastic fittings at the attachment points and joints, the rack doesn’t extent to the rear of the car and inhibits you from removing the 2nd row roof panel! Huge design flaw from two groups at Ford not working together.

Aftermarket racks solve all these problems (but can be expensive).

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just can't buy that a small change in wind direction could affect the path of a rock that's big enough to chip a windshield - the physics just aren't there (right?). Bugs maybe.
My thoughts are, you can't prove a negative. Someone may have 100k with a bug deflector and nary a rock chip or strike to the windshield, but perhaps they've made it that far with no rocks being tossed up in front of them.

Sponsored

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My thoughts are, you can't prove a negative. Someone may have 100k with a bug deflector and nary a rock chip or strike to the windshield, but perhaps they've made it that far with no rocks being tossed up in front of them.
True. My 2012 Rubicon never took a chip. My 2015 Rubicon got blasted.

I think speed plays into it, also. I'm doing 80+ on my daily commute. My Bronco windshield is cracked and has two chips. Not replacing it any time soon.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’d assume that it would be pretty easy for a manufacturer do a wind tunnel test on these and see if they have any positive effect. But I’ve never seen one.

dvnorton

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands 7-spd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought the StickerFab seat belt clips, but passengers don't expect them to be there and pull on the belt and pop them off. Someone on the forums suggested gun magnets (strong magnets you attach with adhesive) instead, which work great so far.
Sponsored