Sponsored

Factory Oil Overfill. Can It Lead to Leak?

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black Diamond, '06 Scion xB, '61 Impala
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I know the subject of the correct or incorrect dipstick and factory oil levels have been discussed a ton, but I have a question I couldn’t find anyone talked about yet.

So, I posted a few weeks ago after I got my ‘23 BD (2.7) that I had found a leak basically between the block and the transmission case. At that time, I thought it might be a rear main seal, and some suggested it was possibly left over assembly lube. Since I bought it on 8/30, it hasn’t gotten worse, but hasn’t stopped all together. I had my dealer look at it and the tech was thinking it might be assembly lube, and said it was fine. (I’ve bought a new car every three years for quite sometime and never had assembly lube leak from a new engine, but I digress…..)

So I’ve scheduled my first oil change for this Friday at 1000 miles. Yes I’m one of those over cautious types. Anyway, I was checking the oil today and realized it was way over the “normal” range and then started remembering posts on here talking about high oil levels from the factory. (My level was at the green mark an hour after I drove it).

Is the pic I have attached depicting an overfill? If it is, could that be the culprit of the seepage I’m getting. I’m just spitballing here, but can an overfilled crankcase cause increased internal pressures to blow a bit of oil past a seal?
Ford Bronco Factory Oil Overfill. Can It Lead to Leak? IMG_1284
Ford Bronco Factory Oil Overfill. Can It Lead to Leak? IMG_1234
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know the subject of the correct or incorrect dipstick and factory oil levels have been discussed a ton, but I have a question I couldn’t find anyone talked about yet.

So, I posted a few weeks ago after I got my ‘23 BD (2.7) that I had found a leak basically between the block and the transmission case. At that time, I thought it might be a rear main seal, and some suggested it was possibly left over assembly lube. Since I bought it on 8/30, it hasn’t gotten worse, but hasn’t stopped all together. I had my dealer look at it and the tech was thinking it might be assembly lube, and said it was fine. (I’ve bought a new car every three years for quite sometime and never had assembly lube leak from a new engine, but I digress…..)

So I’ve scheduled my first oil change for this Friday at 1000 miles. Yes I’m one of those over cautious types. Anyway, I was checking the oil today and realized it was way over the “normal” range and then started remembering posts on here talking about high oil levels from the factory. (My level was at the green mark an hour after I drove it).

Is the pic I have attached depicting an overfill? If it is, could that be the culprit of the seepage I’m getting. I’m just spitballing here, but can an overfilled crankcase cause increased internal pressures to blow a bit of oil past a seal?
IMG_1284.jpeg
IMG_1234.png
IMO probably not the cause of the leakage. How did the oil look? I'd be concerned if it appeared foamy indicating that the oil was getting to the crank.

Some have had similar leakage issues and it turns out some have a bad gasket on the rear of the intake manifold. Can't remember if it was the 2.3 or 2.7 or both.

OP
OP
TCB-1

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
IMO probably not the cause of the leakage. How did the oil look? I'd be concerned if it appeared foamy indicating that the oil was getting to the crank.

Some have had similar leakage issues and it turns out some have a bad gasket on the rear of the intake manifold. Can't remember if it was the 2.3 or 2.7 or both.
The oil at the seepage isn't foamy at all. Since I am having the oil changed tomorrow, I may ask them to add a dye to it so I can try to determine the culprit with a black light.

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The oil at the seepage isn't foamy at all. Since I am having the oil changed tomorrow, I may ask them to add a dye to it so I can try to determine the culprit with a black light.
Any update as to where was the oil leak originating from?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That line on your dipstick is exactly where mine is at. I can continue to fill it to that point when I do oil changes.

Over a year now, 18K mileage, and no oil leaks. (Of course now that I've said it...)

Sponsored
OP
OP
TCB-1

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Any update as to where was the oil leak originating from?
Jamie,

The "leak" as I was calling it, has slowed to almost nothing now. I still am religious about jumping under it and inspecting every seal and I've kept my eye particularly close on this area. As skeptical as I was at first, I think it indeed was assembly lube.

I have been driving my beater vehicle since mid winter and the Bronco only has 3k miles on it, but I will continue to watch it. Other than this hiccup and paint quality on the hood (splotchy Iconic Silver), I am very happy with it.... and I'm a person that came from a bulletproof '20 Tundra Crew.

I'll keep everyone updated if the "leak or area of weep" comes back.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Still running 7 qts in my 2.7 2021.... no leaks no problems...
Sponsored