First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU, Roush 2 Mustang, Triumph T-Bird
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I believe a good "purchase story" is to a new automobile what christening is to a new boat. Congratulations on a great one!
Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Bit of a story here so bear with me...

Spent the holiday week vacationing in Florida visiting family, as we often do. Drove from NJ to Florida in a 2010 Expedition with 210k+ miles. I'm a big fan of preventative maintenance and regularly get 200k+ miles out of my vehicles so I wasn't concerned. Just did a major overhaul on the truck ~ 3 years ago which included new control arms, axles, pivot points, rubber, etc. on the entire vehicle. Also regeared to 4.10s during that refresh, installing a TrueTrac in the rear and Ox locker in the front. This matters in a moment.

We get to grandma's house, which is miles outside of Gainesville in the middle of trees and not much else. We unpack the truck and the wife drives into town to get food and whatnot while the kids play with grandma and I take a nap. We drive straight through the night on these trips so I was a bit tired.

The wife gets back, wakes me up, and tells me the truck is broken. My phone was in the truck with her, which she realized when she tried calling me, and she had nobody else's number at the house. The front locker decided to lock up for some reason so the truck was fighting any attempt to turn. I take a look and confirm the symptoms, though the IWE system should have left the wheels unconnected from the front axles regardless.

Jump ahead a few hours and I find the IWE solenoid failed, which caused the hubs to think the truck was in 4wd. I bypass the solenoid so the vacuum system disconnects the hubs and the truck is drivable again. Happy with the result, I clean up my tools and get things put away. As I'm rolling up the windows the driver's window falls into the door. *sigh* I tape the window in place as I'm not replacing a window regulator while on the road. (pic below taken in Cocoa Beach, where we went after visiting family)

PXL_20240404_225801189.jpg

My vehicles typically let me know when they're done, and a failing vacuum system combined with a fair amount of body rot thanks to road salt tells me the truck's on its last road trip. I was planning on replacing it in 2025 but it seemed to have other plans.

The next morning I get a price drop email from AutoTrader on a truck I'd been watching. (I've been watching nationwide pricing as an active spectator sport) The dealership's kind of on our way home. It seems too perfect. I called Monday and they won't hold the truck until Friday but will keep me in the loop throughout the week. They stay in touch, but jump ahead to Thursday afternoon and I get another price drop email on the same truck. I call, they take my deposit, get the paperwork going, and know that I'm driving from Cocoa Beach Friday morning to their dealership in NC.

I and the kids enjoyed a rocket launch from the beach at 5:12am Friday and we all hit the road by 6am.

PXL_20240405_091254393.jpg

(The launch was mind blowing. It was clear enough to see stage separation and watch stage 2 fly far enough to follow the curvature of the Earth.)

Traffic like crazy but we make it to the dealership by 5:15pm. Everything about the truck is exactly as expected so I sign on the line, we stay in a hotel overnight about an hour closer to I-95, and the wife and I drive home 2 vehicles the next day. The kids rode in the Expedition as they didn't like the soft top noise from the previous evening. I'll address that in time.
PXL_20240405_232426691.MP.jpg

(I'm entirely unaffiliated but Autopark Honda in Cary, NC was excellent to buy from.)

2021 Badlands, manual transmission, lux, towing, proper color, the right wheels, etc.

I don't know if I'll ever understand all the tech in this truck but the automatic high beams are uncannily intelligent. The whole vehicle is light years ahead of 17yo me's 1984 Bronco.

Anyway, this is the most expensive vacation souvenir I've ever purchased and I'm thrilled to have it in my driveway today. Been on this forum for a little while now but as of Friday I can actually justify being here.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. I'm a bit giddy and my wife's tired of hearing about the truck so I had to share with someone somewhere that might appreciate it. :)
So, are you were saying goodbye to the Expedition? Nice story!

OP
OP
mjp2

mjp2

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe a good "purchase story" is to a new automobile what christening is to a new boat. Congratulations on a great one!
My wife laughed about the whole thing because pretty much every one of my vehicles started off with some weird story, whether it be flying out to the middle of nowhere to pick it up and drive home or rescuing someone's SER Spec-V that was on its way to the scrapyard.

I love a good story, but even moreso I enjoy making a good story.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mjp2

mjp2

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, are you were saying goodbye to the Expedition? Nice story!
Yeah, I'm going to sell the Expy once I fix the issues. I can't in good conscience sell a broken vehicle, so I'll get everything sorted and sell it as a working high-mileage truck. I'm sure someone will enjoy it as a great beach fishing vehicle and give it the love I don't have time to anymore.

2aauburn

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those are the best looking stock wheels you can get on a new Bronco. I have the same configuration transmission and package but mine is Oxford white. Everyday I look at my wheels I’m glad I optioned them.

Sponsored

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is it with Florida? While vacationing on the Emerald Coast, my wife and I bought a condo. We couldn't take it home, like you did, but we visit it four times a year.

Camp Hell Yeah.

Everglades
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Tover
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Thoroughly enjoyed your story and congrats on the ride. Too bad you live far away as I need a new friend and a mechanic. 😂 Anyway if you ever find yourself in the mountains of Colorado stop by! 👍

Fillups

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Expedition EL
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

My family hauler is also a 2010 Expy, back when Edie Bauer was a trim level, and we have learned how to use all of the EL cargo area too. From looking at your pic, my kids are a bit older, in highschool and 2 in college. I only have 155k on it, so we hope it hangs on 2 more years, till 2 are out of college, fingers crossed. My 2-door Bronco is fun, but worthless at helping kids moving in and out of apartments!

I also like your color choice. My wife overruled cyber orange, then we drove one at Off rodeo and she commented she kind of liked it after it was too late. but I have since grown like hot pepper red better.

obligatory garage pic of the Ford odd couple.

IMG_0021.jpeg

OP
OP
mjp2

mjp2

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My family hauler is also a 2010 Expy, back when Edie Bauer was a trim level, and we have learned how to use all of the EL cargo area too. From looking at your pic, my kids are a bit older, in highschool and 2 in college. I only have 155k on it, so we hope it hangs on 2 more years, till 2 are out of college, fingers crossed. My 2-door Bronco is fun, but worthless at helping kids moving in and out of apartments!

I also like your color choice. My wife overruled cyber orange, then we drove one at Off rodeo and she commented she kind of liked it after it was too late. but I have since grown like hot pepper red better.

obligatory garage pic of the Ford odd couple.

Ford Bronco Expensive vacation souvenir: a Badlands Bronco IMG_0021
Gorgeous trucks!

When the kids were really young we had the Expy EL packed to the gills AND had a loaded basket on the roof. I don't miss the days of bringing the high chair, walker, potty, bouncer, toys, etc, etc, etc... The first trip where where we were back to loading up with just suitcases and blankets was a very big deal!

Rick66

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150(sold), S197 GT C/S (sold) 22 2DR BB EG SAS V6
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What is it with Florida? While vacationing on the Emerald Coast, my wife and I bought a condo. We couldn't take it home, like you did, but we visit it four times a year.
Had the same situation in AZ a few years back. 😎

But at least real estate APPRECIATES, where as vehicles mainly DEPRECIATE.

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We get to grandma's house, which is miles outside of Gainesville in the middle of trees and not much else. We unpack the truck and the wife drives into town to get food and whatnot while the kids play with grandma and I take a nap. We drive straight through the night on these trips so I was a bit tired.
If you made it this far, thanks for reading. I'm a bit giddy and my wife's tired of hearing about the truck so I had to share with someone somewhere that might appreciate it. :)
So, how did you rig the solenoid to "fail" to put this genius plan in motion to get a new Bronco? :LOL:

OP
OP
mjp2

mjp2

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model