Sponsored

Commuting with RC 2.5 Lift Kit + 37's on 2023 Wildtrak SAS?

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Here's what I think is going on with the Hoss 3.0 confustion. I have a 2023 Wildtrac and I'm looking to level it and I have been trying to understand why these Fox struts are different from other struts used in the Sasquatch suspension and why some lifts that aren't supposed to fit are working. I've not completely vetted this out, but I think this is what is going on.

Right after I got my WT, I looked at leveling kits. I didn't want much, just an inch, and I bought Rough Country's 1" leveling kit. Before I tackled this install, I keep seeing issues where lift manufacturer's started excluding the WT from fitments, and sure enough RC followed suit. I ordered RPG's 1.5" spring collar to see if that would work and I've poured over several sets of instructions on both installs. Here's what I'm finding. It seems the Fox shocks have a different lower mount than all other Bronco builds. It also seems that the Braptor has the same lower mount as the Fox 3.0, and likely a longer strut. However, the top mount, or at least the bolt hole configuration are the same. So lifts that use only the upper mount are able to be installed.

Here's a typical level kit. It has four top mount spacers, where most have only two. You can stack them, 2 to a side, or use the one on each rear shock. The upper mount bolt patterns to the frame are the same. Many of the level kits also use a spacer on the lower mount. Here is where the confusion comes in. Here's a photo of the RC level I bought. The horse shoe shaped metal go between the lower control arm and the strut. It spaces both ends of the strut to get the lift.
RC level kit.jpg

I think it's a better level solution because it splits the geometric problem of adding space to the strut mount.

Here's the two mounting points. This is a standard strut. Orange circle is the upper strut mount. Spacers go between the strut mount and the frame. The red circle is the lower mount. The Fox shock does not have this configuration and until some of these suspension companies can get a Hoss 3.0 in house, they seem to be disclaiming what will work on a Wildtrac.

Standard strut.jpg

This is where a spacer would fit on the upper mount.

Top spacer.jpg

A 2.5" lift has a much thicker spacer.

Here's how the Fox's lower mounting hardware looks like and this is probably a Raptor shock because it's not black and orange.

Hoss 3 lower strut pic.jpg

So quite obviously, the lower control arm will be different on a Hoss 3.0. Here's a standard lower mount that shows the lower spacer from a leveling kit.

Std strut lower attachment.jpg

While I couldn't fit a good pic of the lower control arm for the Hoss 3.0, all I could find is a shop diagram of the lower mounting position that should show where the difference comes in.

Hoss 3 lower attachment.png

I'm going to be using the RPG 1.5" spring perch (which actually measures 5/8") and see if it will correct my rake. I plan on using the spacers for the rear upper mount in the even it ends up sitting too high up front. If I were looking for more lift than this. I'd probably use the smaller spring perch along with an upper mount spacer and a spacer lift out back.
I appreciate the analysis but this is incorrect. I HAVE the HOSS 3.0 ā€˜23 WT and the LCA mounts are exactly the same. They have TWO bolts that pass from above through the lower shock mount (perpendicular to tge LCA), through the LCA and then nuts mounted from below, consistent with the RC kit depicted.

They DO NOT look like the HOSS 4.0 Braptor front shock you posted. Those appear to have the more common (to me in every other off road application Iā€™ve worked with before the Bronco) singular horizontal lower shock mount bolt in the front.

Either way this is immaterial. Just get the RPG collars done and youā€™ll never look back. I have been posting on this fairly extensively and I can say that the big collars 3ā€/2.25ā€ caused little to no impact on ride quality with either 35s (stock) or 37s (AT3w). Anything smaller such as a leveling space would be completely imperceptible IMHO/YMMV.
Sponsored

CatMonkey

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2012 Shelby GT500, 2021 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I appreciate the analysis but this is incorrect. I HAVE the HOSS 3.0 ā€˜23 WT and the LCA mounts are exactly the same. They have TWO bolts that pass from above through the lower shock mount (perpendicular to tge LCA), through the LCA and then nuts mounted from below, consistent with the RC kit depicted.

They DO NOT look like the HOSS 4.0 Braptor front shock you posted. Those appear to have the more common (to me in every other off road application Iā€™ve worked with before the Bronco) singular horizontal lower shock mount bolt in the front.

Either way this is immaterial. Just get the RPG collars done and youā€™ll never look back. I have been posting on this fairly extensively and I can say that the big collars 3ā€/2.25ā€ caused little to no impact on ride quality with either 35s (stock) or 37s (AT3w). Anything smaller such as a leveling space would be completely imperceptible IMHO/YMMV.
I stand corrected. I stuck my phone behind my wheel and it does indeed have the double bayonet mounts on the lower. The pics I've seen might have been pre-production. I suppose RPG's install instructions for the 3.0 perches have yet to be written. That diagram came from them in the instructions, which I suppose actually only applies to the Raptor, knowing what I know now.

That being the case, I'm going to attempt the install with the RC leveling kit. I only want to close the gap between the tire and the fender front to back which is 1.5" difference as it sits now. .75"-.5" rake i can live with. That might be imperceptible to some, but I notice it and that's all that matters. I don't have any reason to run a tire larger than 35". If I wanted 37"s, I'd be waiting on a Raptor. That's not to say I wouldn't be all over a set of tires that actually measure 35" - 35.5"

Last edited:

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I stand corrected. I stuck my phone behind my wheel and it does indeed have the double bayonet mounts on the lower. The pics I've seen might have been pre-production. I suppose RPG's install instructions for the 3.0 perches have yet to be written. That diagram came from them in the instructions, which I suppose actually only applies to the Raptor, knowing what I know now.

That being the case, I'm going to attempt the install with the RC leveling kit. I only want to close the gap between the tire and the fender front to back which is 1.5" difference as it sits now. .75"-.5" rake i can live with. That might be imperceptible to some, but I notice it and that's all that matters. I don't have any reason to run a tire larger than 35". If I wanted 37"s, I'd be waiting on a Raptor.
Skinny Raptor. Iā€™ll be posting pics soon enough. WT w the 3ā€/2.25ā€ is IMHO mild as lifts go and has had very little impact on quality. It actually retained just the very slightest amount of rake (like a 1/4ā€) and I think it is spot on.

Iā€™ll STILL probably get ridiculous when the full Carli kits come out, but for now, on 37s?ā€¦ ya I got a Skinny Raptor. If the the Fox shocks w collars can handle the dirt Iā€™ll run them for a good while. Aestheticallyā€¦ yaā€¦ ZERO regrets.

Geronimo

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Bronco Badlands Sad on order!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is a picture after RC 2 1/2" lift install which I was told went on with no issues. Love the look and ride. Actually gained about 3 1/2" up front and leveled the rear. Pic is with Bronco on an upward slope.šŸ«¤
Ford Bronco Commuting with RC 2.5 Lift Kit + 37's on 2023 Wildtrak SAS? 20230412_181323

Sponsored

Geronimo

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks good. Glad to hear the install went well.
It took him longer than I think he thought it would, but he kept getting interrupted and said there are some things that are difficult to get at. Also because of what it is and being brand new, he treated it like his own baby. Lol. He only charged me $500 which I was very happy with. While the tires were off, he checked for balance and said they were all good. Alignment on Friday morning. I will buy the lifetime alignments at Firestone.

Johngriffin007

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm also waiting on a HOSS 3.0 solution to run 37's, but I don't want to do perch collars. I'd rather do the RC 2.5" as it comes with new UCA's and a small diff drop bracket if. I heard Fabtech and Icon are researching, but no updates yet... RC might be a decent interim solution. The RC 2.5" reportedly works with HOSS 3.0, not officially, but in another thread...

Link to HOSS 3.0 w/RC 2.5" thread...
Just installed the RC 2.5 with drop brackets on 2023 wild trac with Hoss suspension. Went on with no issues(accept accidentally pulled one cv ball joint apart and had to reinstall and reclamp boot afterwards be careful when pulling hub apart). Took and had all alignment settings adjusted. Drives great and all settings in the green.

Geronimo

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just installed the RC 2.5 with drop brackets on 2023 wild trac with Hoss suspension. Went on with no issues(accept accidentally pulled one cv ball joint apart and had to reinstall and reclamp boot afterwards be careful when pulling hub apart). Took and had all alignment settings adjusted. Drives great and all settings in the green.
Any pictures?

Johngriffin007

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Any pictures?
i took one from front going on. Here are some photos compared to my 2018 TJ with 2.5ā€ lift and 12x15x35s. Trying to decide which 37ā€ tires I put on. Considering something narrower to reduce hydroplaning, wear on front end components, and stearing response.

IMG_0114.jpeg

IMG_0116.jpeg

IMG_0115.jpeg

IMG_0104.jpeg

IMG_0117.jpeg

Geronimo

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i took one from front going on. Here are some photos compared to my 2018 TJ with 2.5ā€ lift and 12x15x35s. Trying to decide which 37ā€ tires I put on. Considering something narrower to reduce hydroplaning, wear on front end components, and stearing response.

IMG_0114.jpeg

IMG_0116.jpeg

IMG_0115.jpeg

IMG_0104.jpeg

IMG_0117.jpeg
Looks good. No real issues with mine either. Seems I gained about 3 1/2" of lift. CV's seem a bit extreme to me .šŸ«¤ Looks and drives šŸ˜ƒ. No issues with alignment, other than they couldn't find specs for 23 Wildtrak. I called dealership and they sent them over. They are the same as Sas package specs.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Johngriffin007

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Here's what I think is going on with the Hoss 3.0 confustion. I have a 2023 Wildtrac and I'm looking to level it and I have been trying to understand why these Fox struts are different from other struts used in the Sasquatch suspension and why some lifts that aren't supposed to fit are working. I've not completely vetted this out, but I think this is what is going on.

Right after I got my WT, I looked at leveling kits. I didn't want much, just an inch, and I bought Rough Country's 1" leveling kit. Before I tackled this install, I keep seeing issues where lift manufacturer's started excluding the WT from fitments, and sure enough RC followed suit. I ordered RPG's 1.5" spring collar to see if that would work and I've poured over several sets of instructions on both installs. Here's what I'm finding. It seems the Fox shocks have a different lower mount than all other Bronco builds. It also seems that the Braptor has the same lower mount as the Fox 3.0, and likely a longer strut. However, the top mount, or at least the bolt hole configuration are the same. So lifts that use only the upper mount are able to be installed.

Here's a typical level kit. It has four top mount spacers, where most have only two. You can stack them, 2 to a side, or use the one on each rear shock. The upper mount bolt patterns to the frame are the same. Many of the level kits also use a spacer on the lower mount. Here is where the confusion comes in. Here's a photo of the RC level I bought. The horse shoe shaped metal go between the lower control arm and the strut. It spaces both ends of the strut to get the lift.
Ford Bronco Commuting with RC 2.5 Lift Kit + 37's on 2023 Wildtrak SAS? IMG_0117

I think it's a better level solution because it splits the geometric problem of adding space to the strut mount.

Here's the two mounting points. This is a standard strut. Orange circle is the upper strut mount. Spacers go between the strut mount and the frame. The red circle is the lower mount. The Fox shock does not have this configuration and until some of these suspension companies can get a Hoss 3.0 in house, they seem to be disclaiming what will work on a Wildtrac.

Ford Bronco Commuting with RC 2.5 Lift Kit + 37's on 2023 Wildtrak SAS? IMG_0117

This is where a spacer would fit on the upper mount.

A 2.5" lift has a much thicker spacer.

Here's how the Fox's lower mounting hardware looks like and this is probably a Raptor shock because it's not black and orange.

So quite obviously, the lower control arm will be different on a Hoss 3.0. Here's a standard lower mount that shows the lower spacer from a leveling kit.

While I couldn't fit a good pic of the lower control arm for the Hoss 3.0, all I could find is a shop diagram of the lower mounting position that should show where the difference comes in.

I'm going to be using the RPG 1.5" spring perch (which actually measures 5/8") and see if it will correct my rake. I plan on using the spacers for the rear upper mount in the even it ends up sitting too high up front. If I were looking for more lift than this. I'd probably use the smaller spring perch along with an upper mount spacer and a spacer lift out back.
So my 2023 wildtrac with hoss suspension does not mount as the diagram shows it has the same two bolt mount as the first photo. The 2.5 with drop and brake line brackets fit great and went on as advertised.

CatMonkey

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2012 Shelby GT500, 2021 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So my 2023 wildtrac with hoss suspension does not mount as the diagram shows it has the same two bolt mount as the first photo. The 2.5 with drop and brake line brackets fit great and went on as advertised.
See post #62

LFG

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Skinny Raptor. Iā€™ll be posting pics soon enough. WT w the 3ā€/2.25ā€ is IMHO mild as lifts go and has had very little impact on quality. It actually retained just the very slightest amount of rake (like a 1/4ā€) and I think it is spot on.

Iā€™ll STILL probably get ridiculous when the full Carli kits come out, but for now, on 37s?ā€¦ ya I got a Skinny Raptor. If the the Fox shocks w collars can handle the dirt Iā€™ll run them for a good while. Aestheticallyā€¦ yaā€¦ ZERO regrets.
How was the hit on MPG? Iā€™m leaning towards the 3/2.25 RPG. Definitely going 37s, already ordered nitto recon grapplers. Iā€™m also wondering if the height has an MPG impact and considering the 2.25/1.5 route.

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How was the hit on MPG? Iā€™m leaning towards the 3/2.25 RPG. Definitely going 37s, already ordered nitto recon grapplers. Iā€™m also wondering if the height has an MPG impact and considering the 2.25/1.5 route.
Minimal. I donā€™t even notice it now. The recons were a good choice, I looked at those myself and almost went with them. If I recall they are also light-ish. I wouldnā€™t go with the smaller collars for fuel savings. I just donā€™t think it will factor in appreciably and youā€™ll be losing some BEEF which I personally wouldnā€™t trade for mpg.

Geronimo

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the RC lift that I have, I didn't really notice a difference. Weight of the tires will be the more noticeable issue. I am looking at the Cooper at3 xlt's. 68 lbs which is still 25 lbs over the stock Sas tires. Also a 60,000 Mile warranty and made in USA. Probably get new wheels, Rhino Carbine 26 lbs, so 9 lbs lighter than stock, can take off the Bora wheel spacers also, so overall be within 5 lbs of stock. I will have the take offs and spacers available for a good price fairly soon.
Sponsored