First Name
Roberta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We just towed our bronco behind our motorhome following all the neutral tow enable and pulling fuses for the elec boost brakes. Worked fine yesterday when we pulled it from the installer to a local rv park. But after 160 miles - when I went to take it out of neutral tow - it says everything it’s supposed to - 2H and neutral tow disabled but it wont go into drive or reverse. Anyone have any idea what might have happened. Getting towed to the local dealer now but they have a 30 day backlog in service appointments.

58BCC75A-6F91-4BE8-A625-557C973CF541.jpeg
Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Not a neutral tow guy, but did you try the manual release so you can shift into gear?

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you disconnect the battery after you reinstalled all the fuses and let it sit for a few?

Had to help my buddy with his new 4 Door after he flat towed it about 600 miles. He was running into the exact same problem.

Pulled all the fuses required, reseated them twice. Disconnected the battery after we went through all the steps a couple of times. Gave him two beers worth of time and reconnected everything.

Started right up and was fully driveable.

I'm not saying this is the solution in your case, but it worked out for us.

Quick review from the owner's manual, pages 306-309. (Note, this is from the 2021 manual, don't know if it's changed.)

The Engage Neutral Tow Mode
  1. Enter accessory mode: Push the ignition button once without your foot on the brake.
  2. Press 2H on the four-wheel drive mode control.
  3. Depress the brake (automatic transmission) or the brake and clutch together (manual transmission).
  4. Put the gear shift lever into Neutral.
  5. While holding the brake/brake and clutch, use the instrument panel controls on the steering wheel to select Settings.
  6. Select Neutral Tow.
  7. Press and hold OK until the confirmation message appears.
  8. Release the brake/brake and clutch.
  9. Switch off your Bronco by pressing the ignition once.
To Disengage Neutral Tow
  1. Enter accessory mode: Push the ignition button once without your foot on the brake.
  2. Depress the brake (automatic transmission) or the brake and clutch together (manual transmission) for approximately seven seconds.
  3. Wait until the instrument panel displays 2H and Neutral Tow Disabled.
  4. Release the pedals.
  5. Apply the parking brake, then disconnect your vehicle from the tow vehicle.
  6. Release the parking brake, start your Bronco, and shift in Drive or Reverse to make sure the transfer case is out of the neutral tow position
We did all the steps twice through before pulling and reseating the fuses. Step 6 wouldn't happen, so I decided to pull the terminals and see if that would do the trick.

It did, and he's been driving fine for... about three weeks since, I think.

OP
OP

Rgarrison58

Wildtrak
First Name
Roberta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Did you disconnect the battery after you reinstalled all the fuses and let it sit for a few?

Had to help my buddy with his new 4 Door after he flat towed it about 600 miles. He was running into the exact same problem.

Pulled all the fuses required, reseated them twice. Disconnected the battery after we went through all the steps a couple of times. Gave him two beers worth of time and reconnected everything.

Quick review from the owner's manual, pages 306-309. (Note, this is from the 2021 manual, don't know if it's changed.)

3. Depress the brake (automatic transmission) or the brake and clutch together (manual transmission).
  5. While holding the brake/brake and clutch, use the instrument panel controls on the steering wheel to select Settings.
  6. Select Neutral Tow.
To Disengage Neutral Tow
  2. Depress the brake (automatic transmission) or the brake and clutch together (manual transmission) for approximately seven seconds.
  4. Release the pedals.
  6. Release the parking brake, start your Bronco, and shift in Drive or Reverse to make sure the transfer case is out of the neutral tow position
We did all the steps twice through before pulling and reseating the fuses. Step 6 wouldn't happen, so I decided to pull the terminals and see if that would do the trick.

That’s exactly what we did ~. Everything seemed to follow all the steps in terms of the messages on the dash but when I got to step 6 - I could move the shifter to drive or reverse - but nothing happened. Guess we’ll take a drive over to the dealer to try that this morning. there won’t be a diagnostics person in til Monday. Fingers crossed it’s something simple like that but stressing that it’s something worse

Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OK, did a short 225 mile tow yesterday. No problems hooking up and getting into tow mode. I do not pull any fuses not needed with my setup.
When I got in the Bronco everything looked normal lots of warnings that I was in tow mode, normal until I pressed the start button without pressing the brake pedal to get to ACC mode, the engine started. Tired a couple of times sometimes it would start sometimes it would not. When it did not start I tired to get it out of tow mode by pressing the brake pedal 7 seconds and then shifting into park nothing. Just kept saying is was in tow mode.
So in desperation I removed the positive battery cable waited a minute then put it back on. Was able to get out of tow mode and tried to move the Bronco because one of the tow bars was in bit of a bind and I could not get the pin out. Bronco would not move. The park brake was on!! Took a few attempts and carefully reading all the messages I was able to get it off. Then all was good and no more problems.
In hind site I wish I had checked the brake pedal to make sure my brake system was not pulling the cable down a little. Checked it this morning and it was normal.
Just love towing my Bronco!!

OP
OP

Rgarrison58

Wildtrak
First Name
Roberta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OK, did a short 225 mile tow yesterday. No problems hooking up and getting into tow mode. I do not pull any fuses not needed with my setup.
When I got in the Bronco everything looked normal lots of warnings that I was in tow mode, normal until I pressed the start button without pressing the brake pedal to get to ACC mode, the engine started. Tired a couple of times sometimes it would start sometimes it would not. When it did not start I tired to get it out of tow mode by pressing the brake pedal 7 seconds and then shifting into park nothing. Just kept saying is was in tow mode.
So in desperation I removed the positive battery cable waited a minute then put it back on. Was able to get out of tow mode and tried to move the Bronco because one of the tow bars was in bit of a bind and I could not get the pin out. Bronco would not move. The park brake was on!! Took a few attempts and carefully reading all the messages I was able to get it off. Then all was good and no more problems.
In hind site I wish I had checked the brake pedal to make sure my brake system was not pulling the cable down a little. Checked it this morning and it was normal.
Just love towing my Bronco!!
No such luck on an easy fix. disconnected the battery, waited a bit and reconnected. No change. We also have a check engine light so we put it on the code reader. Something wrong with a solenoid that controls shifting. Service dept will opefully get to it on Monday to do a further diagnostic

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Disregard my previous post. BANG HEAD, BAND HEAD!! It was totally my fault. On my brake system there is one plug that has the tail lights, breaking signal and break away signal. When the plug comes unplug it signals a break away and set the brakes on. When I remove the umbilical cord there is a dummy plug I must plug in at the bumper to keep the brakes from in caging. Well in my senior moment I did not plug it in and the brake system was pulling the brake pedal down when I tried to go into ACC mode which told the engine to start. When I undid the battery cable it reset the brake system and disabled the brake away signal.
Did not notice the plug not being in until late this morning.
So sorry for the false alarm, must come up with a fool prove way to make sure I put that plug in.

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No such luck on an easy fix. disconnected the battery, waited a bit and reconnected. No change. We also have a check engine light so we put it on the code reader. Something wrong with a solenoid that controls shifting. Service dept will opefully get to it on Monday to do a further diagnostic
Oh, man. Well, hopefully you won't be out of commission for too long. Best of luck.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
We just towed our bronco behind our motorhome following all the neutral tow enable and pulling fuses for the elec boost brakes. Worked fine yesterday when we pulled it from the installer to a local rv park. But after 160 miles - when I went to take it out of neutral tow - it says everything it’s supposed to - 2H and neutral tow disabled but it wont go into drive or reverse. Anyone have any idea what might have happened. Getting towed to the local dealer now but they have a 30 day backlog in service appointments.

Ford Bronco Bronco won’t go back to drive after disengaging neutral tow 58BCC75A-6F91-4BE8-A625-557C973CF541
Hi there. Can you send us a DM with more information? I’ll see how I can assist on my end. Thanks!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rgarrison58

Wildtrak
First Name
Roberta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Ford Bronco Bronco won’t go back to drive after disengaging neutral tow 58BCC75A-6F91-4BE8-A625-557C973CF541
Update on Bronco - dealers had it for a week - so far they’ve narrowed it to solenoid or switch issues that control shifting but also found a small amount of metal shavings in the transmission pan when they pulled it off. No fluids or burned gears tho. They can’t isolate what is causing everything without a working transmission. My dealer is working with Ford transmission mechanics so they have have decided to replace the transmission with a new one. (I only have 900 miles on the vehicle). Now waiting for the new transmission to arrive from Detroit (they hope it will be here by the end of next week). then we go from there. Not sure this has anything to do with neutral towing the bronco or if this would have happened anyway while driving it.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm glad they are taking care of you. I'm always concerned that the TC actually shifts into neutral, I mean there is no way to verify. If the TC was not in neutral the TC would be OK because it has an output shaft mounted pump, but the transmission would fry because pump is on the input side. Mine has been glitchy coming out of Neutral Tow a couple times, but eventually came. I've even taken to feeling the trans pan temp at our first stop, but that would be too late of course.

Not actually being in Neutral Tow would explain metal in trans pan. I hope they get to the bottom of it.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 f-250 Tremor 6.7L HO, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Update on Bronco - dealers had it for a week - so far they’ve narrowed it to solenoid or switch issues that control shifting but also found a small amount of metal shavings in the transmission pan when they pulled it off. No fluids or burned gears tho. They can’t isolate what is causing everything without a working transmission. My dealer is working with Ford transmission mechanics so they have have decided to replace the transmission with a new one. (I only have 900 miles on the vehicle). Now waiting for the new transmission to arrive from Detroit (they hope it will be here by the end of next week). then we go from there. Not sure this has anything to do with neutral towing the bronco or if this would have happened anyway while driving it.
If you have metal in the pan make sure that they also replace and not reuse the torque converter and also flush the cooler and all lines.

OP
OP

Rgarrison58

Wildtrak
First Name
Roberta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Another delay in the repair. New transmission finally arrived at the dealer from Detroit. But it was damaged in shipment and had a crack in it. So waiting again for a second one to be shipped. it probably won’t be here before our-lanes departure on a 8week motorhome trip. So the old jeep will get one more trip behind the motorhome. Maybe by our next trip the whole EBB fuse pulling thing will be fixed by a software change

DustyBroncoOH

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tiffin Allegro RED
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

6. Select Neutral Tow.
To Disengage Neutral Tow
  4. Release the pedals.

I have flat towed my Bronco several times now. Going into neutral is super smooth but getting it out was very clunky. I followed the same instructions you did. I looked again before a recent trip and Ford must of left out a step in the original instructions. Do not start the Bronco on step #1 ( just go into accessory mode). And on step#2 depress the brake and "SHIFT IT INTO PARK'. Keep the brake down and it automatically disables neutral tow. I think you will be very pleased.
Sponsored