Sponsored

Bricked Again! - Second Time. Anyone Else?

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

yup it got bricked and the only way to fix it is with FDRS at a dealership. OTAs should not work this way but whatever, Ford IT sucks. Better option is turn updates off and do them if you take it in for an oil change or just schedule it so its not sitting at a dealer for days.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

First thing I did was turn off auto updates for this reason. Posted as such and got so much flack for it.

What really pissed me off is that even though I turned auto off, Ford continues to harass me with constant prompts.

What I have found, in sone cases, you click on "accept" and it will stop bugging you for a while. And because i have turned off auto updates, accept doesn't seem to actually install.

Regardless Ford... As a consumer that purchase your product, if I choose the option no updates, then I mean no updates. If I decide to manually go in and check for updates that's one thing. STOP HARASSING me!!!!

OP
OP
Lab00Rat

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello. Can you please send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to take a closer look at your Bronco's loss of power issues.
Will do.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There is /was a downloadable copy around here somewhere.
@JerryC, I prefer a hard copy as well, but the download was free 🤠
I thought about printing it on my laser printer but I was able to get the Ford case for the manual set. So I've got the owners manuals and supplements nicely packed into one case in the glove box.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lab00Rat

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update:

Finally got my Bronco back from the dealer.
Was told that the battery was dead...
Solution: Charge the battery.
Also, they had to reset the PCM and make sure the software update was correct.

Likely culprit: Was told that the OTA might have left a module running resulting in a drain on the battery. Once the battery was dead, the PCM cutoff the system. - so they say...

Was offered a year of extended warranty for my troubles, so a "dead battery" was not the only reason for the failure. One does not simply offer a year of free warranty for a dead battery.

Happy to have my ride back. Turning off OTA updates for a while.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In your original post you said you tested the battery at 12.5V. That should give the Bronco enough juice to at least light up, though it won't crank if there isn't enough amperage. Sounds like they had to reset the PCM, and you got a new battery so that's good.

I know at least one other poster on here had a bricked Bronco after a software update, but every time I say I don't like updates I get flamed with a ton of "but they're good for you" crap ;)

OP
OP
Lab00Rat

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lightning Struck Twice - Bricked AGAIN!
*Automatic Update was disabled*

Tech is doing a deep dive this time to track the problem and not just charging the battery (which it was 12.5V at the time of failure).

System is totally nonresponsive, except for the alarm... that works well every time you open the door.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

2023-10-21 12.08.44.jpg

2023-10-23 09.55.09.jpg

2023-10-21 10.16.27.jpg

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

In your original post you said you tested the battery at 12.5V. That should give the Bronco enough juice to at least light up, though it won't crank if there isn't enough amperage. Sounds like they had to reset the PCM, and you got a new battery so that's good.

I know at least one other poster on here had a bricked Bronco after a software update, but every time I say I don't like updates I get flamed with a ton of "but they're good for you" crap ;)
I think I was one of the first to post about turning off the Auto Updates...3 pages later of people yelling at me on how I don't understand life and how the world works.

Actually about every post I make that sheds any negative light about Ford or the Bronco results in the same. Blue blood is thick on this forum. But I'm used to being surrounded by blind ignorance...I live in Cali :)

555-RGNE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Basequatch 2dr 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think I was one of the first to post about turning off the Auto Updates...3 pages later of people yelling at me on how I don't understand life and how the world works.

Actually about every post I make that sheds any negative light about Ford or the Bronco results in the same. Blue blood is thick on this forum. But I'm used to being surrounded by blind ignorance...I live in Cali :)
I'm one of the lucky ones and my updates have never worked. I have everything set up correctly, but I haven't received an update in a year and a half. I'm afraid to mess with the settings and turn the auto update feature off because I don't want to upset whatever delicate balance of luck and coincidence that's keeping me from receiving them.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

My Bronco was built April 2023, and I have the updates turned off. Until I find a list of updates and see something that I would like updated, I'm probably going to stay as-is. I wonder if many updates are related to extra tech features I never use anyway.
Sponsored