Sponsored

Bricked Again! - Second Time. Anyone Else?

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ran prefect until this morning. Dead as a doornail. No response from anything except the alarm system.
Technician said it might be the battery. 13V to crank and 3V for the alarm. Sure enough 12.5V on the battery (measured correctly this time).

The truck is less than 1 year old, and had zero indications of low voltage.
There was a recent software update this week, so I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing voltage issues this week.

or... Is it just me?

Update:
I remeasured the voltage after connecting a charger to the battery for 30min. The battery holds 13.5V without issue. Zero life in the Bronco. Brick....

Software was updated last night...
Ford Bronco Bricked Again! - Second Time. Anyone Else? 2023-07-20 09.17.31

Ford Bronco Bricked Again! - Second Time. Anyone Else? 2023-07-20 09.16.19

Ford Bronco Bricked Again! - Second Time. Anyone Else? 2023-07-20 09.16.58
Sponsored

Last edited:

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Temperatures from the 90's and up can kill even a fresh battery. Had a mid-level battery from Autozone die after two years during a hot August summer. I guess the only way to check that is to see if the battery takes a charge.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have not connected my Bronco to any internet, and so have gotten no updates. Is there really a need to get updates? Wasn't planning on ever connecting it.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I remember (and my memory may be incorrect) that you need to hook up a battery charger differently on the Bronco. You should not just hook directly to the battery terminals, the ECU will not know the battery has been charged. You have to connect the positive upstream of the battery terminal. Check the manual for the exact procedure.

OP
OP
Lab00Rat

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update: Not even a boost charger is helping.
I remember (and my memory may be incorrect) that you need to hook up a battery charger differently on the Bronco. You should not just hook directly to the battery terminals, the ECU will not know the battery has been charged. You have to connect the positive upstream of the battery terminal. Check the manual for the exact procedure.
Yes, and you are correct. Followed the procedure, still holding 13.5V.
Brick.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ingEnabled=False&userMarket=USA&buildtype=web

Last edited:

Sponsored

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Maybe disconnect the battery for a while.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have not connected my Bronco to any internet, and so have gotten no updates. Is there really a need to get updates? Wasn't planning on ever connecting it.
It's not necessary at all. But sometimes the updates will contain fixes or new features. Most of the time we as drivers won't notice the difference, but occasionally you'll get updates to the Sync 4 system or for CarPlay / Android Auto that is actually useful.

Alternative option is to just to take your vehicle to the dealership and have them manually update with FDRS.

---

Usually when stuff like this happens it is an one-off issue—rare, but it happens. BUT... my Bronco took the software update last night too... so guess I better to go outside and see if it actually starts.

OP
OP
Lab00Rat

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe disconnect the battery for a while.
Maybe...

On the phone with the software OTA peeps now.
"update was successful," so not our fault.

They are looking into roadside service and scheduled maintenance at a dealership.
Not fun...

OP
OP
Lab00Rat

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wrecker service came by to remove the paperweight. He tested both the battery and key fobs. Both were fine, but the Bronco was a total brick.
Cannot put the truck in neutral w/o power to the system. Has to flatbed transported when this type of failure happens.

Ford Bronco Bricked Again! - Second Time. Anyone Else? 2023-07-20 11.26.35

Sucks, but I hope it's just me. Hate to know that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Also, going to turn off ALL automatic OTA updates. The update was the only change that happened to the vehicle; therefore, I have no assurance that it was or was not the cause of this catastrophic failure. Wrecker man said he's not recommending the Bronco to coworkers (who are shopping now) after seeing this failure. I did tell him that this is the best driving vehicle I've owned and still love it. I hope it something simple...

Sponsored

soldier989

Base
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base MT / 2021 MX-5 GT / 1966 Ford F10
Your Bronco Model
Base
Im sorry to hear this happened to you and I hope it's a simple fix!

I have WiFi turned off on my car, but did notice a little I would normally indicate as an update being available. With WiFi being off, I'm uncertain how the car still knew one was available. My phone hadn't connected to the car when I noticed the icon.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wrecker man said he's not recommending the Bronco to coworkers (who are shopping now) after seeing this failure. I did tell him that this is the best driving vehicle I've owned and still love it. I hope it something simple...
Yeah, they should just buy one of those nice lookin' Kias. Unfortunately, the more technology (that we love and loath) gets jammed into this wealth oven on wheels, the more likely some software glitch gets in the way.

Hopefully the service department works out the issue and can get you back on the road quickly.

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do all models get the same updates?
I’m pretty sure I set my Black Diamond up for auto updates but there have been no updates since October 22 and it’s on 3.5.2

Dog

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My software updated last week - I have to manually allow it, but it does notify me when updates are available - and mine is working just fine.

Good luck OP in getting this sorted, and let us know the solution.

JeffL

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye / 2023 Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
i agree i've had auto updates turned off from day 1. everything works please don't update anything.
Sponsored