Maxemus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Going away for a couple of weeks. Not really familiar with the battery system on my 2023 Badlands 2.7. I don't want to let it sit that long without a charge. Does anyone know what the best way to hook up my battery tender ?? Should I disconnect the battery or leave it hooked up ? Normally on my other vehicles I disconnect the battery first.
Thanks
Sponsored

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A battery in good condition will easily last a couple weeks without significant discharge.

Unless I'm storing a vehicle for several months, I will leave the battery installed and hooked up, with a 2 amp battery tender. My F350 and F550 mostly live like this these days.

If I'm storing it long term, the battery comes out and stays in a climate controlled shop without a battery tender. I will check it and charge as necessary when it's time to go back into the vehicle.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Xira
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2022 Silverado LT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Positive on positive, negative on chassis ground. There's a current meter somewhere along the line that's used for the battery management system. You need to pass your charge through that, which means the negative can't be directly on the battery post.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A few weeks shouldn't be a problem as stated. I have left mine at the airport for three weeks without issue when I got back. If the battery management system detects the battery getting to low. Your Bronco will go to deep sleep mode. Which is nothing more then it turned off all the extra stuff to ensure there is enough of a charge to open the door and start it.

OP
OP
Herewegoagain

Herewegoagain

Badlands
First Name
Maxemus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A few weeks shouldn't be a problem as stated. I have left mine at the airport for three weeks without issue when I got back. If the battery management system detects the battery getting to low. Your Bronco will go to deep sleep mode. Which is nothing more then it turned off all the extra stuff to ensure there is enough of a charge to open the door and start it.
That sounds good but I don't normally let my batteries get to that point. My Ford 7.3 diesel I always keep those 2 batteries on a trickle charge. If that beast gets low its really tough to start.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Going away for a couple of weeks. Not really familiar with the battery system on my 2023 Badlands 2.7. I don't want to let it sit that long without a charge. Does anyone know what the best way to hook up my battery tender ?? Should I disconnect the battery or leave it hooked up ? Normally on my other vehicles I disconnect the battery first.
Thanks
For me, personally, I would just disconnect the negative cable and leave it that way. When you come home, re-connect the cable and your Bronc is ready to go. Battery should not discharge much, if any, when it is not hooked up. No need to buy a trickle charger. That's just me. Whatever you decide you will need to charge it if you do not disconnect it. The Bronc, and most all new vehicles for that matter, have a tremendous parasitic draw on them. Without a charger/maintainer or disconnecting it, you will have issues with leaving them sit without being run.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That sounds good but I don't normally let my batteries get to that point. My Ford 7.3 diesel I always keep those 2 batteries on a trickle charge. If that beast gets low its really tough to start.
Totally different beast, but I get how you got here with a 7.3 PS, haha. Especially, in the extreme ends of the temps in your area, that 7.3L needs constant battery love.

The Bronco could sit a month and start right up >95% of the time I'd wager. I have left mine for a couple weeks at a time and no noticeable differences on start-up.

My opinion if you do it anyway:
  • I love a little Deltran trickle charger.
  • I put it on if it's longer than 3 weeks for the Bronco or 2 weeks for my Harley.
  • I take the battery out and bring it inside if the outside temps are going to be really hot or really cold.
  • Drive it at least 20 minutes at about 2k RPM or more to ensure the battery and charging system are maxed before you let it sit.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

But these teeny 2.7s are designed to start on one cog movement of starter. Think how fast they start after stopping at a red light.

Trickle chargers on these are unless you are being deployed over 6 months are a waste of money and nominal electricity.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They also sat on Dirt Mountain for months
They sit on dealer lots without battery tenders for months and have no issues starting.
We don't know about issues, but, unless things have changed, vehicles are delivered to dealers with most of the electronics disconnected and correcting that is first thing done even before washing and throwing a state inspection sticker on it.
Sponsored