Sponsored

Any Recommendations for a Tire Patch Kit?

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2023 Bronco Heritage Edition
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Can anyone recommend a good tire repair kit, preferably one that contains multiple patches and related repair hardware, that they have success with on the trails? Thanks!
Sponsored

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
you'll be needing a tire plug kit, found at most auto parts stores. watch a few Youtube videos for the plug method.

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just got the ARB one. If you get a more basic one with just the plugs and T-handles, my #1 suggestion would be to add a razor blade.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don't buy plastic T-handled kit. Was reaming a hole and the handle broke and the metal part went in between my thumb and index finger about an inch. 😬

Sponsored

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The plugs are all pretty much the same, but the needle and reemer are of varying quality. Base your choice on the quality of the handles. They hurt like an SOB when they break and you've got your body weight on them...

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Funny you post this....

I was out on the trails this past weekend and foolishly decided not to air down (its a smooth trail, what could go wrong), and I got not one but two mean punctures in my rear two tires tires. We patched one on the way up the hill, took all but 5 minutes vs. changing the entire out (I did not want to do that). Then on the way down the hill, my son heard some more squealing, and wouldn't you know it the other rear tire now had a fast escaping hole in it. It happened to be a great learning experience for my son, so it was "worth it" I suppose. I just used the super basic one from Harbor Freight that had the plugs, glue, pull tool, rasp, and knife and it worked great. It was only $7 and I bought another set today to throw in my daughter's car. I would suggest though that you have some good pliers to help get out any nails or something that is stuck in there.

After that "adventure", I went to Pep Boys today and got an old tire from them and will be doing some tire patch training with the kids.

It was the best $7 I ever spent, I'd still have my car up on the hill today lol. Oh and I had my compressor with me too, so that was a big help. I just happened to throw that and my bag-o-tools in the back since I was going "local" - what's the worse that could happen!

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Don't buy plastic T-handled kit. Was reaming a hole and the handle broke and the metal part went in between my thumb and index finger about an inch. 😬
Omg, that makes me hurt just thinking about it. And that’s the type of kit I have. Recommendations on another kit to get?

SeptuagenarianSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Go to Amazon and search "Tire Sidewall Repair Kit."
I ripped a sidewall once and wished I had it. I swapped it off with my spare, and would have done a sidewall repair, had I known about the product, then saved the damaged one for limited use as a spare (like a donut) until I wore down my OEM Goodyears.
But yeah, it seems most tire plug kits are the same, except for the hardware. Be alert that the repair components can harden with time and exposure to heat, so replace the plugs and sealant every couple of years.

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Go to Amazon and search "Tire Sidewall Repair Kit."
I ripped a sidewall once and wished I had it. I swapped it off with my spare, and would have done a sidewall repair, had I known about the product, then saved the damaged one for limited use as a spare (like a donut) until I wore down my OEM Goodyears.
But yeah, it seems most tire plug kits are the same, except for the hardware. Be alert that the repair components can harden with time and exposure to heat, so replace the plugs and sealant every couple of years.
Oh wow, yeah the sidewall tear is usually a death sentence. I had no idea this existed. It looks like you have to wait an hour for it to cure, which makes sense given that we're applying it to the side of the tire, but that is sure safe insurance to have. Maybe a good idea to carry this and also the normal plug-n-fill repair kits.

Sponsored

SeptuagenarianSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh wow, yeah the sidewall tear is usually a death sentence. I had no idea this existed. It looks like you have to wait an hour for it to cure, which makes sense given that we're applying it to the side of the tire, but that is sure safe insurance to have. Maybe a good idea to carry this and also the normal plug-n-fill repair kits.
If you go to GlueTread's site, they have a demo video where they stab all 4 tires on a Jeep and run the Rubicon Trail. Granted, it's a demo and they were sure to control for variables, but it is an impressive show. My thinking is, as I explained above, you want repair capabilities (for everything) that can get you to services, or at the very least, to pavement. If GlueTread gives you service beyond that, so much for the better. I just wish I knew about it so I could have kept my damaged tire for limited spare use.

(PS My solution: I've got maybe 10K left on my OEM Goodyears. I got a very good deal on some K02s, my replacements, and have one mounted as my spare. When the Goodyears wear down, I'll mount the other 4 and begin a 5-wheel rotation.)

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the Rhino USA plug kit. Also threw in a few valve cores just in case.

Poppavein

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mdozier

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 F250, 24 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Couldn't count the number of plugs I've had to do over the years. Get the larger "red" plugs from anywhere even A*zon, they're a bit better suited for our tires. I keep an old reamer (yes plastic handled) from a cheap set from O'Reilly's only after I get the hole started to open it up because it's very sharp and reams well.

I carry a small kit from Boulder tools just off A*zon in both vehicles because the plug inserter and reamer have alum handles and are pretty stout. I added a 8" bent long nose and a good pair of needle nose. The ones that come in most "kits" will do in a pinch but really are cr@p. Good pliers will save you some headache.

Good luck.