Sponsored

87 top-tier gas, 93 non-top-tier gas, or mix it up for the Bronco?

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's an almost 10% gain on the 2.3. It isn't earth-shattering, but yeah, it's definitely noticeable.
I think the % gains in torque might be greater at lower than rated rpm, at least on the 2.3. Detonation is usually a bigger issue at lower rpm. I wonder if Ford ever published hp and torque curves with and without premium fuel.
Sponsored

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I use 87 top tier in all my cars. The extra cost for 93 in a Bronco is not worth it. I put kwick trip non top tier in the other day and it is really not idling well.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I run 93 in anything with high compression or boosted (turbo or supercharged). Yes the ECM is supposed to pull timing out if spark knock is detected, but I would rather not subject my engine to ANY spark knock for longevity reasons. Plan to keep mine for a lot longer than most of yā€™all will. Also carbon deposits build up on pistons and valves and creat hot spots that also promote pre-ignition, so only top tier 93 for me when available.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So the real question is --what you feel truly worth the additional cost of running higher octane?
Hmm - I think there are two ways to kind of look at this.

Strictly on a MPG basis - I donā€™t think running premium saves you any money at all. Yes, you get a bit better MPG, but the price delta eats all that savings and then some. National average of Premium today is about $1/gal more than standard. Even gaining 1 MPG, that still costs you a bit less than a nickel per mile extra, and even on the high end of what some people are seeing, 3 mpg, it's right at half a nickel extra. You'd need to get more than 7 MPG better for a $1 price difference to net positive.

But - if you take it with the Performance Tune - you are essentially getting the next class engine up. That would have cost you a lot of cash at the dealer, and you only pay about $800 for the tune and the extra $20 a tank for it.

Going from the 2.3 to the 2.7 is what, $2,100?? A lot more if you want to jump from the 2.7 to the 3.0, but letā€™s keep this simple.

So about $20 per fill-up (on a 4-door) extra for premium is accurate. Based on that - at an (again, average and round number to keep it simple) 20MPG, and a 1 MPG gain on premium ā€” at around 33,000 miles the extra cost of fuel will exceed the extra cost of just having the larger engine in the first place.

For some people - the additional performance is worth the cost. There is no savings metric needed - we want more power, so we pay for it. Thatā€™s traditionally how it works in the car world, and this is no different, just a matter of how you get there.

And if I had the larger engine, Iā€™d still run premium fuel on it to get even more performance. But, Iā€™d rather have the manual the the V6.

But this was a fun little exercise.

Last edited:

rdg04578

Everglades
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jeep rubicon, F-150
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Agreed and there are also some studies which say you may get worse fuel economy from super due to the octane which increases the temperature fuel will spontaneously ignite under compression--thus reducing the potential for premature ignition which causes knocking. So fuel mileage is not a consideration. For those who tune--well then there is no question--you gotta run higher octane to prevent knocking-- but over tuning will reduce longevity of any engine. As for the additional performance I understand but in the real world how most people use their rigs I do not think they will notice 10% increase. I am a firm believer of biggest engine, lowest gears and lightest rig you can get.....but we ain't normal[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I run 93 in anything with high compression or boosted (turbo or supercharged). Yes the ECM is supposed to pull timing out if spark knock is detected, but I would rather not subject my engine to ANY spark knock for longevity reasons. Plan to keep mine for a lot longer than most of yā€™all will. Also carbon deposits build up on pistons and valves and creat hot spots that also promote pre-ignition, so only top tier 93 for me when available.
I rely on 93 as well for all your same reasons. But even at dialed in max advance limited by the ECM and running 93 there may be times of intermittent knock
Sponsored