Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A group of us will be headed to a popular off highway park soon. I was just thinking before I head out to work today that the trail rating system must not have computed to Ford. Ford markets a Black Diamond Bronco. Black Diamond ( or difficult trails ) are describe by ONX as " Expected Terrain: Off-camber trail with deep holes and large rocks that may exceed axle height. Expect erosion, loose rocks, tree roots, sand, washes, shelves, and deep mud holes. Obstacles and ledges up to 5 feet. Near-vertical grades 8-10 feet tall. Potential for water crossings with strong currents. Exercise caution: vehicle damages are possible. ". These are 7 on the scale of 10. I believe that a stock Black Diamond would not be able to navigate these trails without breaking. I am going by my experience in the SE United States. I know that this will cause some intense debate. i would like you guys thoughts. This of course is all opinion. So please keep it civil. I will post a windrock video link below of what they consider Black diamond. They use the Easy, moderate, Black diamond, and double Diamond ratings. I'd say in my opinion the Raptor is the only one stock that is equipped for a black diamond trail.
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't interpret Black Diamond as the toughness of the terrain it can handle; I interpreted it as the snow season truck for sloshing around outside ski resorts.

Base: Scratch that just-the-facts-ma'am type
Big Bend: Lighter, perhaps goes farther (like the old Jeep Rio Grande), more work truck
Outer Banks: Visiting the crowded touristy areas and still looking spiffy
Badlands: Some rock crawling, tougher terrain but nothing crazy
WildTrak: A fast ride for gravel and light sand for those who got the cash

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't interpret Black Diamond as the toughness of the terrain it can handle; I interpreted it as the snow season truck for sloshing around outside ski resorts.

Big Bend: Lighter, perhaps goes farther (like the old Jeep Rio Grande), more work truck
I hear you as I said all opinion on this. I did take it to be marketed for these areas or terrains myself. Only four weren't places at first. I figured they'd stay with the four wheeling theme throughout.
This is Big bend ( scenic )
Ford Bronco Ford markets a Black diamond: big bend
This is OBX ( more risque outdoors )
Ford Bronco Ford markets a Black diamond: obx

Badlands I mean it's in the name... rocks and stuff
Ford Bronco Ford markets a Black diamond: badlands

Wallyworld Ranger 269

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Charger R/T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just my .2 cents
Looking at badging……..
Base: self explanatory
Big Bend : jagged mountains : National park in Texas
Black Diamond : mountain peak : black diamond ski trails
Outer Banks : waves on sand : Outer Banks chain of islands on the North Carolina coast
Badlands : buttes and arroyos : Badlands of the Dakotas
🤔
But then again I’m hung the freak over so what do I know?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know this is a stretch but Extreme are double diamond trails...
The problem is that's ski resort nomenclature. I know several off road parks that don't use that at all and have very difficult terrain. It's borrowed. I've also seen Ford marketing that showed a Black Diamond with skiing equipment and a mountain in the background, which is where I got the idea in the first place.

We're all entitled to our own interpretation, as you state of course. But I wouldn't hold that against the BD or any of the rest of the models. They are what they are, starting or ending points. I'm just glad they brought the Bronco back! lol

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know in olden times, A CJ5 with a rear locker 4" of lift 35's and a winch could do most Black diamond trails. I wheel a Badlands 2 door with 37's and front and rear winches. I can do some black diamond trails.

I digress as this is about the marketing of them.

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I mean, it's marketing.

Marketing people are the same ones that put 'TRAIL RATED' on all things Jeep. Everything from the Rubicon to one of those dinky Compass things has one. Pretty sure they even put them on the accessories.

"yeah, my backpack is Trail Rated. it's pretty sweet."

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Perfect!
Anything tougher needed. Build it.

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Disney’s role in ski trail signs
Strangely enough, the Disney Company played a key role in the design of ski trail signs. In the 1960s, the company had plans to develop a Mineral King, a glacial valley in California’s Sequoia National Park, into a ski resort. Thankfully, the nascent environmental movement prevented the project from turning a national park into a theme park, but the company had already figured out its trail signage. As John Fry and Bob Cram recount in a piece for skiinghistory.org:

The company had even tested skier’s reactions to different geometric figures, concluding, for example, that the symbol for easy terrain should be a circle, perceived as soft; its color should be green, perceived as mellow.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know in olden times, A CJ5 with a rear locker 4" of lift 35's and a winch could do most Black diamond trails. I wheel a Badlands 2 door with 37's and front and rear winches. I can do some black diamond trails.
This is interesting, though. 5-6 years ago when I was thinking about getting into off roading, a 32-33" was a big tire on a Jeep! I was like, wow, 35's would be huge. Now, not so much 40's people don't even blink an eye.

What I keep hearing on podcasts (Big Rich and Snail Trail 4x4) and some on here is that the bigger tires are changing the nature of the trails, so you need bigger tires to keep up. 40's break down the trails in a way that for some trails, makes you need bigger tires.

So I wonder to some degree if the growth of the desired size of tire is making off roading in the Sierra's, for instance, harder, while opening up some trails that weren't desirable with 33's but can be done with 37's. And y'know, the limitations of IFS for hardcore rock crawling squeezing that one percent for the straight axle folk.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is interesting, though. 5-6 years ago when I was thinking about getting into off roading, a 32-33" was a big tire on a Jeep! I was like, wow, 35's would be huge. Now, not so much 40's people don't even blink an eye.

What I keep hearing on podcasts (Big Rich and Snail Trail 4x4) and some on here is that the bigger tires are changing the nature of the trails, so you need bigger tires to keep up. 40's break down the trails in a way that for some trails, makes you need bigger tires.

So I wonder to some degree if the growth of the desired size of tire is making off roading in the Sierra's, for instance, harder, while opening up some trails that weren't desirable with 33's but can be done with 37's. And y'know, the limitations of IFS for hardcore rock crawling squeezing that one percent for the straight axle folk.
It wasn't too many years ago that any stock 4x4 with a low range could do any trail in SW Colorado (I used to run up Poughkeepsie with stock BII, Ranger or Explorer) and most in Moab (My BII went many places I didn't know I shouldn't go) if driven smartly. Whether it's bigger tires, UTVs, ATVs and Rock Buggies or folks obsessed with skinny pedal I don't know, but trails are torn up so much that unless your into challenge for challenge sake, a lot of the fun is gone.

Poughkeepsie above the falls, and that Commando was about worthless off road.
Ford Bronco Ford markets a Black diamond: PD_0025.JPG

Prichett Canyon on P195/75x15s
Ford Bronco Ford markets a Black diamond: PD_0008.JPG
Sponsored