First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My very true Union story- went to Winter NAMM in Anaheim a few years ago to help my buddy set up his booth and help with the show. Got a few things set up then I grabbed a ladder to hang his company logo/sign and plug it in to the provided outlet. He literally yells “NO!! STOP!!!” I’m like what the hell man! We need to get this done so we can move to the next phase of set up. He apologized and told me that it would cause a huge disastrous fuss because only union workers are allowed to plug the sign in. Seriously? Yes. So when are they coming- the show starts tomorrow? Maybe an hour, maybe two- they’re on the second break right now.

It was 3 hours later and took less than 5 minutes.
But you know we’re both lying. This obviously doesn’t happen!

Has this been confirmed by @Foxbody Barra ???

He is the all-knowing internet keyboard warrior, armed with his union, warm blankets, juice boxes and a safe place to go when he gets himself into a word battle on the World Wide Web!

If anyone knows, its him!

(I feel like he's that guy that also commits vandalism on all of the scab workers personal property and threatens them "because they're taking his work")
Sponsored

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I never thought I'd see so many people lining up to lick the boot of big corporation, but I guess jealously of other people getting the pay they deserve is a powerful force.
It’s not the pay we resent, it’s the inefficiency and absurdity that union rules bring to the workplace. Add on to that the hypocrisy of union leadership and top it off with corruption that would would make a third world dictator blush - that is why we hate unions.

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interesting take. My building trades union is at will employment with many owner members.
No sick days, no paid vacation or federal holidays.
8 for 8- work or be fired.
Not all unions are bad. It seems to me that some of the smaller unions understand that the company must do well in order for their members to do well. No one works for a poor person or a broke company. If they have it didn't last long. The big unions seem to be as greedy as the people think the manufacturers are. Never a union member myself and wouldn't be as I am in a right to work state.

Sponsored

Foxbody Barra

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having been to NAMM a few times, I can attest to the truth of DON"T PLUG THAT IN YOURSELF
A lot of large venues are like that.
It’s not the pay we resent, it’s the inefficiency and absurdity that union rules bring to the workplace. Add on to that the hypocrisy of union leadership and top it off with corruption that would would make a third world dictator blush - that is why we hate unions.
Who is this “union leadership”? Do you think there’s one person or group of people that rule all unions? You speak in ridiculously sweeping generalizations and there has been far more illegal, corrupt activity by businesses than there will ever be by unions. Your understanding of unions as a whole is very narrow, and to think they are all the same is as absurd as thinking all companies are the same.

Last edited:

Foxbody Barra

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My building trades union is at will employment with many owner members.
What union is this? Having a labor contract is the opposite of at will employment.

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
What union is this? Having a labor contract is the opposite of at will employment.
Here’s how it works-
A multi-employer trust negotiates a contract with a building trade union for a fixed total package labor rate.
This rate covers wages and benefits.
The union trains and provides labor at the employer’s demand.

Say an employer wins a building project contract that requires 50 additional employees. The union hall provides the labor. The project wraps up and the employees are laid off.
The employer determines the timing and level of staffing.
Thus the at will.

Building trade/ Employer contracts vary. Some allow union members to directly solicit jobs with employers while others all go through the union hall.
Other union contract terms involve work rules, foremen wages, overtime among others.
For the most part, it’s a unionized merit system.

Foxbody Barra

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here’s how it works-
A multi-employer trust negotiates a contract with a building trade union for a fixed total package labor rate.
This rate covers wages and benefits.
The union trains and provides labor at the employer’s demand.

Say an employer wins a building project contract that requires 50 additional employees. The union hall provides the labor. The project wraps up and the employees are laid off.
The employer determines the timing and level of staffing.
Thus the at will.

Building trade/ Employer contracts vary. Some allow union members to directly solicit jobs with employers while others all go through the union hall.
Other union contract terms involve work rules, foremen wages, overtime among others.
For the most part, it’s a unionized merit system.
That’s not an at will employee. An at will employee can be laid off for any reason at any time. You have a labor contract that provides union representation in the case of any dispute with your employer. Let’s say the company says you’re going to do you job for $5 less an hour out of the blue, and if you don’t like it you’re fired. What happens? Nothing, because they can’t decide that. They have a labor contract they must abide by. It’s literally the opposite of at will employment by definition.

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A lot of large venues are like that.

Who is this “union leadership”? Do you think there’s one person or group of people that rule all unions? You speak in ridiculously sweeping generalizations and there has been far more illegal, corrupt activity by businesses than there will ever be by unions. Your understanding of unions as a whole is very narrow, and to think they are all the same is as absurd as thinking all companies are the same.
I thought this thread was about the UAW. I apologize if I was not specific in my comments. Although you could apply my comments to any number of unions let’s limit them to the UAW.
You are correct in asserting that businesses are no different in terms of corruption, hypocrisy, absurdity and any number of other things, however, again, this thread is about the UAW.
my comments were strictly about why people are against unions. If you want want to start a thread on how corrupt our capitalist system is I would be glad to comment on that thread also.
Here’s the thing - unions should be the easiest PR job in the world. Yet the very people that should benefit from a union hate them. (Yes that is a generalization but just read this thread and tell me this is untrue) That’s really all you need to know about how unions and union leadership have screwed this up.

Sponsored

Foxbody Barra

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought this thread was about the UAW. I apologize if I was not specific in my comments. Although you could apply my comments to any number of unions let’s limit them to the UAW.
You are correct in asserting that businesses are no different in terms of corruption, hypocrisy, absurdity and any number of other things, however, again, this thread is about the UAW.
my comments were strictly about why people are against unions. If you want want to start a thread on how corrupt our capitalist system is I would be glad to comment on that thread also.
Here’s the thing - unions should be the easiest PR job in the world. Yet the very people that should benefit from a union hate them. (Yes that is a generalization but just read this thread and tell me this is untrue) That’s really all you need to know about how unions and union leadership have screwed this up.
No need to apologize. It’s not the easiest PR job, and it never will be. You have billion dollar companies spending millions and millions of dollars for decades to manipulate people’s perceptions of unions with union busting firms and lobbyists etc. it’s no surprise people vote against their own interests. Bad unions certainly don’t help.
We can probably both agree that polling participants in a thread about a union potentially causing something they are enthusiastic about to be delayed or cost more probably isn’t the best way to get an unbiased result.

Reactions: Jdc

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
That’s not an at will employee. An at will employee can be laid off for any reason at any time. You have a labor contract that provides union representation in the case of any dispute with your employer. Let’s say the company says you’re going to do you job for $5 less an hour out of the blue, and if you don’t like it you’re fired. What happens? Nothing, because they can’t decide that. They have a labor contract they must abide by. It’s literally the opposite of at will employment by definition.
Again, union building trade employer can lay off at any time without a reason or just cause.
Call it what you want- but that’s the definition of at will.
For our contract, it was 4 hours notice and you leave with a check in hand for time served.
Generally union stewards have protection. Trades may have other protection for those over 50 and apprentice ratios.
Firings are rare, but they did happen if they employer wanted to fight unemployment benefits. ( theft-crime etc)
There is no wage and benefit agreement between an employer and an individual union member except some key people could negotiate money and benefits ( paid holidays & vacations) over the fixed rate.

As for an employer paying less than the rate- first weekly check that is short-every member would be pulled from that employer until it’s legally resolved.

Foxbody Barra

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Again, union building trade employer can lay off at any time without a reason or just cause.
Call it what you want- but that’s the definition of at will.
For our contract, it was 4 hours notice and you leave with a check in hand for time served.
Generally union stewards have protection. Trades may have other protection for those over 50 and apprentice ratios.
Firings are rare, but they did happen if they employer wanted to fight unemployment benefits. ( theft-crime etc)
There is no wage and benefit agreement between an employer and an individual union member except some key people could negotiate money and benefits ( paid holidays & vacations) over the fixed rate.

As for an employer paying less than the rate- first weekly check that is short-every member would be pulled from that employer until it’s legally resolved.
I don’t think you understand what at will employment means. You cannot be an at will employee, and have a labor contract. Union stewards are your protection. You may be in a poorly run local where they don’t actually attempt to protect the members from unfair labor practices, but I promise you those protections exist for you. I suggest you familiarize yourself with how this works if you’re going to be explaining it to people. You just told me you’re at will employees and then explained to me how you’re not. Lol

Phil Brown

Big Bend
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 F350, 1930 model A, 69 mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don’t think you understand what at will employment means. You cannot be an at will employee, and have a labor contract. Union stewards are your protection. You may be in a poorly run local where they don’t actually attempt to protect the members from unfair labor practices, but I promise you those protections exist for you. I suggest you familiarize yourself with how this works if you’re going to be explaining it to people. You just told me you’re at will employees and then explained to me how you’re not. Lol
I think that what he's trying to explain is that in building trades unions workforce demands change constantly therefore your employment with a union signatory contractor is not guaranteed when workforce demands are reduced (they're not going to keep 12 people on payroll for work that only need 2 ) you do have a lot of job protections but typical crew size adjustments is not one of them

Foxbody Barra

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think that what he's trying to explain is that in building trades unions workforce demands change constantly therefore your employment with a union signatory contractor is not guaranteed when workforce demands are reduced (they're not going to keep 12 people on payroll for work that only need 2 ) you do have a lot of job protections but typical crew size adjustments is not one of them
I know what he means, I’m 4th generation in a building trade union. Still, what he thinks is an at will employee is not an at will employee.
Sponsored