Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well, thanks for all the feedback and I just ordered the Morels :) I'll report back on how they sound after a month or so of break-in. As luck would have it, as I pulled into my driveway one of my Kickers was making a "crackly" sound......THAT telltale sound of physical distortion. Well, it's all about timing right? :) Hahahahaha!!! :clap:
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did you also change the dash speakers to Morel?
Yes, I am currently 5x Morel Maximo Ultra Coax 402 mk II, 2x Morel Maximo Ultra Coax 602 Mk II, and a JVC CW-DR104 10" subwoofer (although I might go back to the 12" Kicker 48TRTP122). I haven't tuned the JVC yet and in the end, it might be a better choice, especially given the power handling and low price.

The JVC is in a tailgate box and the kicker just was in the back storage area. The bass is good with both. I was really impressed listening to some music today as a single cymbal was incredibly well localized just about 3 ft off my right ear (Beastie Boys track, go figure) but it really drove home how well the system could create a sound stage.

OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I really love how my Morel Maximo Ultra Coax 602 sound in my Bronco. They made a significant difference over my stock B&O kick panel speakers.
Hey so I got the Morels and will be installing tomorrow - did you also install them with the Morel speaker grills or did you leave them bare and just put them in the Metra Speaker Adapters?

Mjasi3

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey so I got the Morels and will be installing tomorrow - did you also install them with the Morel speaker grills or did you leave them bare and just put them in the Metra Speaker Adapters?
remove the grills, use the metra adapters

OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

remove the grills, use the metra adapters
Are 4 screws enough per speaker? Maybe 6 is better to make sure its a tight enough "press" against the adapter? Planning to also put some KILMAT inside and around the speaker areas.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I adapted the factory grills to fit. The Metra Speaker Adapters worked great.

OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I adapted the factory grills to fit. The Metra Speaker Adapters worked great.
Sweet! - So just to clarify - you did NOT use the Morel Grills at all correct?

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Buy the best dash speaker you can afford and some mid bass for the kick panels. A DSP will make a world of difference. Even keeping your existing kick panel speakers will improve soundstage if you can apply a band pass crossover and block the mids and highs from them. Doing so will bring soundstage up and forward. Also turn down the darn pods. Another huge improvement.

Mjasi3

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Buy the best dash speaker you can afford and some mid bass for the kick panels. A DSP will make a world of difference. Even keeping your existing kick panel speakers will improve soundstage if you can apply a band pass crossover and block the mids and highs from them. Doing so will bring soundstage up and forward. Also turn down the darn pods. Another huge improvement.
How do u apply a "band pass crossover to block the mids and highs" from the kick panels. With a new amp, not on the BnO?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sweet! - So just to clarify - you did NOT use the Morel Grills at all correct?
Correct, I grabbed a jig saw and trimmed them back but a dremel tool would have been a better choice.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have the Morel coaxials for the kicks now. i think for what you are recommending I should get the MOrel Component Speakers.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How do u apply a "band pass crossover to block the mids and highs" from the kick panels. With a new amp, not on the BnO?
It’s an option in my software for my amp. I only blocked the extreme low end (below the speaker response curve).

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the Morel coaxials for the kicks now. i think for what you are recommending I should get the MOrel Component Speakers.
You could keep those. But filtering out the mods/highs will help stage

OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have the Kicker Key 200.4.....ANy suggestions on "settings" for it? :) I currently have my GAIN settings turned all the way down.

I also was thinking of using FORscan too to "turn-off" the factory EQ.

The Kicker key has settings for the "crossovers/high-pass filters." I've never touched these from the factory. Note: the wiring harness I currently have "draws" the signal from the Front Speakers apparently.

Ford Bronco UPGRADE for Kicker 6.5 Kickpanels KICKKEY@200

EDIT: It tried turning off the factory EQ w/ FORscan.....sounded worse so turned it back on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have officially achieved sonic excellence!!! :) Woo hoo!!!! The MORELs truly helped me do this and so did all of your advice! Thanks guys! I was so happy with the MORELs I created a separate post :cool: - https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/6-1-2-kick-panel-speaker-upgrade-kicker-to-morel.94960/

.....Now I can play all kinds of music and NOT have to mess with the bass-knob or any of the controls. FINALLY. I can even hear "bass-lines" and details I never was able to discern before.
Sponsored