eastie

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BD 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We are the proud new (to us) owners of a 2022 4Dr soft top and will be taking it surf fishing this summer. Not putting a cooler rack on it for this year, so I'm looking for a relatively basic way to mount a board and shovel to keep from having to carry them inside where I'd like to maximize room for fishing and beach stuff. Ideally something that is also easy to get on and off for when we are not at the beach.

I'm leaning towards something like the spare tire EZ Rack from Rock Slide: dual mounting plates, ratchet strap, easy on/off, X-Rack sells a compatible rod holder if we want to go that route, too. But they seem to be targeted towards Rotopax use, and I always see them mounted at 45 degrees. Has anybody used these for mounting other items in a vertical position and can confirm they don't have any issue slipping? And if so any suggestions on compatible vertical shovel mounts? They don't specify the bolt pattern.
Sponsored

X-Rack

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We are the proud new (to us) owners of a 2022 4Dr soft top and will be taking it surf fishing this summer. Not putting a cooler rack on it for this year, so I'm looking for a relatively basic way to mount a board and shovel to keep from having to carry them inside where I'd like to maximize room for fishing and beach stuff. Ideally something that is also easy to get on and off for when we are not at the beach.

I'm leaning towards something like the spare tire EZ Rack from Rock Slide: dual mounting plates, ratchet strap, easy on/off, X-Rack sells a compatible rod holder if we want to go that route, too. But they seem to be targeted towards Rotopax use, and I always see them mounted at 45 degrees. Has anybody used these for mounting other items in a vertical position and can confirm they don't have any issue slipping? And if so any suggestions on compatible vertical shovel mounts? They don't specify the bolt pattern.
I have the EZ Rack on my spare all the time and keep a gas can, propane tank and rod holders. No issue with sipping or movement. I keep my boards and shovel on the front with our without my cooler rack. We also have a over the spare carrier that you can add a mount for shovel and boards along with a box or small cooler. Let me know if you have any questions.

2024-04-14 20.56.23.jpg

2024-04-14 20.56.37.jpg

2024-02-08 17.15.21.jpg

OP
OP

eastie

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BD 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The tire top rack might be a little overkill for our purposes! After doing some more looking I think the EZ Rack is probably the way we'll go; still looking for a shovel mount that will work, I would assume most boards will work some way or another.

BTW, I have my eye on those rocket launchers, those look nice!

Brostango

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 F150 Crew, 2016 ATS Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've mounted my boards to a set of Rock Slider mounting plates. I just added 4 long SS bolts to a 1/4 plastic sheet that I had lying around. Kinda crude but solid. I also have use the same setup for my snowboard.
Ford Bronco Traction board + shovel mount for soft top IMG_5950

Ford Bronco Traction board + shovel mount for soft top IMG_5627

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Rock Slide Engineering here. They work well, and it's super easy to remove so I'm not that guy driving to work with my traction boards

PXL_20231126_222952438.jpg

Sponsored

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I love my American made Xrack. Www.xrack.us
Ford Bronco Traction board + shovel mount for soft top IMG_3510

OP
OP

eastie

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BD 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Rock Slide Engineering here. They work well, and it's super easy to remove so I'm not that guy driving to work with my traction boards

Ford Bronco Traction board + shovel mount for soft top IMG_3510
Yeah, this is pretty much what I was looking to confirm. Thanks! Are your boards mounted directly to the rack here, or do you have something else bolted to the mounting plate to hang them on?

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was looking to confirm. Thanks! Are your boards mounted directly to the rack here, or do you have something else bolted to the mounting plate to hang them on?
I made a mount out of scrap from work, but basically any mounting solution should work. I like that I was able to mount the boards higher so they won't drag.

PXL_20231126_184441674.jpg
Sponsored