Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Ford Bronco Wildtrak with Sasquatch package
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Saw this video last night by Buckle Up Buttercup. Her channel is great, but this video has me SMH. She's got a 2.3L Bronco pulling an AIM 15BH (dry weight of 3,560 lbs). Still need to account for supplies and passengers. She's taking this setup on a 5K mile road trip through canyons and up hills. She says in one of her videos, the 2.3L is underrated and pulls it no problem, but I frankly don't know how this is safe. The phrase, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" comes to mind. In no universe would I attempt this with my 2.7L especially across 5K miles. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s not the engine that’s a concern, it’s the type of rear suspension. Coil suspension doesn’t reduce the side to side stabil as much as a leaf spring suspension.
She is putting her life and others on the freeway in danger.

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2.7 Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Saw this video last night by Buckle Up Buttercup. Her channel is great, but this video has me SMH. She's got a 2.3L Bronco pulling an AIM 15BH (dry weight of 3,560 lbs). Still need to account for supplies and passengers. She's taking this setup on a 5K mile road trip through canyons and up hills. She says in one of her videos, the 2.3L is underrated and pulls it no problem, but I frankly don't know how this is safe. The phrase, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" comes to mind. In no universe would I attempt this my 2.7L especially across 5K miles. Thoughts?
The 2.3L in the Ranger pulls 7k so the engine is not an issue. The issue comes up with the suspension and other components. That being said, I believe in her video she mentions how they modified the bronco a good deal to be able to handle more weight. It certainly doesn't look like the bronco is struggling and they made the trip both there and back already.

One of the videos on when the bronco Raptor was introduced that an engineer said they just added a hitch brace to raise the towing limit from 3500 to 4500. I changed out my exhaust and have room to add the brace. Maybe that was done here.

I have towed at the limit with a Coleman Lantern LT17B and the 2.7L had no issues pulling it. Also with the curt wireless brake controller, stopping was like normal. I didn't have any sway issues to note. I would tow this setup long distance if I needed to.

Ford Bronco Thoughts on towing 280754656_142919148315465_8823602307979598428_n (1)

Now the biggest and possibly most important issue is that if an accident does occur. You might have a lot of problems with insurance because you are technically overweight. Added brace or not doesn't change the sticker on the door. Just things to keep in mind.

PatientlyWaiting

Wildtrak
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I thought I heard them say that they were looking into something to increase towing capacity. Last I checked, they haven't gotten in the details of their setup.

I'm really interested in hearing if she was able put the spare tire back on. I have a popup that is well under the weight limit. My camper has the electric jack similar to what she has. Without a long shank, I'm worried that a normal turn would tear the rear camera off.

OP
OP
swaing

swaing

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here's some specific information on towing capacities for thought.
Ford Bronco Thoughts on towing Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 09-59-17 2023 Ford RV & Trailer Towing Guide - 2023_Ford_RVandTrailer

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's some specific information on towing capacities for thought.
Ford Bronco Thoughts on towing Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 09-59-17 2023 Ford RV & Trailer Towing Guide - 2023_Ford_RVandTrailer
I see that chart is still missing 7MT/4.70 2drs except for Heritage.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It’s not the engine that’s a concern, it’s the type of rear suspension. Coil suspension doesn’t reduce the side to side stabil as much as a leaf spring suspension.
She is putting her life and others on the freeway in danger.
she has changed multiple things in her broncos set up. I believe suspension is one of them. She will be releasing a video on the specifics after. Point is I believe it not stock at all.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The engine isn’t the problem, 2.3L pulls 7500 lbs on the Ranger and around ~5000 lbs (forgot the exact number) on the Explorer.

The limited tow on the Bronco is all suspension and vehicle dynamics.

She hinted that her and Jim (formally of @IAG Performance, but empirical evidence suggest he no longer works for them), took steps to improve the suspension setup to increase towing capacity. I’ll reserve judgement until they provide details on what they did to improve the suspension and dynamics. But to be honest my initial gut reaction was along the lines of “ugh, this can’t be good”.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The 2.3L in the Ranger pulls 7k so the engine is not an issue. The issue comes up with the suspension and other components. That being said, I believe in her video she mentions how they modified the bronco a good deal to be able to handle more weight. It certainly doesn't look like the bronco is struggling and they made the trip both there and back already.

One of the videos on when the bronco Raptor was introduced that an engineer said they just added a hitch brace to raise the towing limit from 3500 to 4500. I changed out my exhaust and have room to add the brace. Maybe that was done here.

I have towed at the limit with a Coleman Lantern LT17B and the 2.7L had no issues pulling it. Also with the curt wireless brake controller, stopping was like normal. I didn't have any sway issues to note. I would tow this setup long distance if I needed to.

Now the biggest and possibly most important issue is that if an accident does occur. You might have a lot of problems with insurance because you are technically overweight. Added brace or not doesn't change the sticker on the door. Just things to keep in mind.
yup,and I believe if most people got weighed they would be over weight especially on tongue. People go 25 mph over speed limit on highway now routinely. I am more concerned about that.

OP
OP
swaing

swaing

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

she has changed multiple things in her broncos set up. I believe suspension is one of them. She will be releasing a video on the specifics after. Point is I believe it not stock at all.
LOL...Her whole channel is built upon not OEM. But I do like her videos. She puts out a lot of good info.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2024 Rivian R1S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it safe to assume Krista and Jim are in a relationship? Must’ve hit it off when she visited IAG.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

And then the real question becomes, who accepts the liability if an issues arises?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I see that chart is still missing 7MT/4.70 2drs except for Heritage.
The 2021 badlands 7MT /4.70 2dr was 3500 lbs in the 2021 towing guide.

The 2024.5 refresh needs to get towing capacity up to 4500-5000lbs with a real max tow package - at least for the 4 door.

Midlife Crisis

Badlands
First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing my 86 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I won't say where exactly it was, but I passed Krista and her Bronco towing that trailer. The Bronco looked like it was doing just fine and I was excited to see some youtube fame out there on the road.

Oh who am I kidding. I got as giddy as a school girl. "Ooh! Bronco! Bronco! Broncooooo Buttercup, whoa!"
Sponsored