Sponsored

Swapping plastic bumper for Capable Bumper?

B_Dominant

Big Bend
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FORD BRONCO SASQUATCH
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Does anyone know if you need any new brackets when upgrading from a plastic to a REAR capable (metal) bumper?
Sponsored

Jeffola

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2023 Hyundai Santa-Fe, 2019 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Does anyone know if you need any new brackets when upgrading from a plastic to a REAR capable (metal) bumper?
Nope, the bumper studs use the the same frame mounts.

B_Dominant

Big Bend
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Jeffola

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2023 Hyundai Santa-Fe, 2019 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks @Jeffola . I saw your name on a few posts.. Do you mind looking at this modular bumper link? I'm not sure if this is the same one you ordered because if you look close at the center there is a rectangular cutout. Thoughts? https://www.ebay.com/itm/3350311836...8197NeGQuC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
I can just about GUARANTEE that the link you sent is exactly the same one. At $600 buy it, break it down and have it all powder coated. There’s a reason it’s $600 shipped. I got my hands on a capable and added a KR off road double off road kit.

IMG_9034.jpeg

B_Dominant

Big Bend
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I can just about GUARANTEE that the link you sent is exactly the same one. At $600 buy it, break it down and have it all powder coated. There’s a reason it’s $600 shipped. I got my hands on a capable and added a KR off road double off road kit.

Ford Bronco Swapping plastic bumper for Capable Bumper? IMG_9034
I take it the powder coat is crap on these modulars? I may roll the dice with it. Those capable bumpers are awesome. Actually what i wanted in the first place but cant find any take offs near me. Sweet rig.

Sponsored

FoCoBronc

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, X3, MDX, Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I swapped for capable and kept oem splash guard intact. It had enough give to slightly tuck up under the bumper. I shaved off the hooks, but left enough of a nubbin to hold the splash guard in place. I ground the sharp edges ad painted tips. Very hard to see unless you get down there.
Ford Bronco Swapping plastic bumper for Capable Bumper? IMG_8837
Ford Bronco Swapping plastic bumper for Capable Bumper? IMG_8838
Ford Bronco Swapping plastic bumper for Capable Bumper? IMG_8839

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a capable bumper with the fogs if anyone is looking, sold the shackles awhile back but those can be purchased from ford.

nero722

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 f150, 1997 f150, 2017 f150, 2012 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Are there two different widths of capable bumpers? Pictures of Black Diamond Broncos equipped with the wider fender flares appear to show the capable bumper ends lining up with the flare. I am concerned that that a Back Diamond capable bumper would be too wide for a base bronco with the shorter fender flares?

Benallen6

Base
First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green 2 Door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just finished the plastic to capable swap in my OBX with parking sensors. Here is what I learned…
1. The wire harness is the same between the 2 bumpers, but they have different anchor points. Get out the zip ties!
2. The only difference between the sensors Is the angle that they connect. Swapped 2 sensors from the rear bumper to the front and everything fits.
3. Plan on rebuilding the bumper about 3 times. You’ll forgot something (D rings), or have to reroute wires, or some other reason.
4.The sensor brackets are not interchangeable. Either order them or make sure they come with the bumper.
5. Replace the flimsy plastic skid plate with the metal ones. Either buy the entire kit or find the front and engine plates.
6. If you don’t want to shave off your tow hooks, then order the brackets as if you had the Modular bumper. The parts numbers are out there.
7. It’s able to be done by yourself. It’s a great way to hide from the family.
I'm base and have plastic everything. I'm getting a capable bumper soon, will it matter what type of new skid plate I get, or should I get oem metal? If I got an aftermarket metal skid will that fit properly with it, or like I said just get oem metal. Also, can I just swap out the foglights in my plastic, or should i go aftermarket. Thanks!

Last edited:

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm base and have plastic everything. I'm getting a capable bumper soon, will it matter what type of new skid plate I get, or should I get oem metal? If I got an aftermarket metal skid will that fit properly with it, or like I said just get oem metal. Thanks!
The OEM plastic skid will fit with some mild trimming. The OEM steel would be the correct replacement. Aftermarket steel skids should work, as long as they are listed to work with factory steel bumpers (Capable and Modular). I also have an extra metal skid here in FL that is just taking up space in the garage....

Sponsored

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are there two different widths of capable bumpers? Pictures of Black Diamond Broncos equipped with the wider fender flares appear to show the capable bumper ends lining up with the flare. I am concerned that that a Back Diamond capable bumper would be too wide for a base bronco with the shorter fender flares?
There is only 1 width. IT lines up with non-Sas flares just fine.

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Outer Banks 2.7L Lux
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does anyone have any experience with drilling holes for the parking sensors on the plastic shackle covers without holes? I need to get replacements and I am currently looking at the plastic caps being worth more than the bumper I have sourced!

With Parking Sensors
M2DZ-17E811-CA (LEFT) $150
M2DZ-17E810-CA (RIGHT) $150

Without Parking Sensors
M2DZ-17E811-BA (LEFT) $50
M2DZ-17E810-BA (RIGHT) $50

I am wondering where to drill the hole, how big the hole needs to be for the parking sensor, and if the bracket for the sensor will cover any messy-looking hole.

Also if anyone has any that they are willing to sell please let me know!
Sponsored