Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I was growing up in Houston back in the early 90's, we'd all heard of Stevie Ray, even if (like me) I had no idea who he was. He was, literally, the greatest living guitarist, but one I'd never heard. At the time, I was into Metallica and Dream Theater, and soon to be Tool.

Then one day he died in a tragic helicopter accident. I still remember the evening when the news came on, they showed the aftermath, and I asked my dad, who was that? "He was a great Texas, a great American, and a great musician son" was what I got in return.

Off and on I've listened to him, SVR, the shadow, the great man who was but was no more. Lately, I've been listening to him afresh, and frankly, after Jimi Hendrix, I can't see who else compares, and I am a fan of Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton and Kirk Hammett. Gary Hoey, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, et al., Jimi and Stevie still felt it in a way few have. They bend the guitar in a fire of feeling and genuineness that's lacking in our era.

So I give you, if you're remembering the day, or discovering anew, Stevie Ray Vaughn. The Great Texan, Great American, and greatest of blue guitarist. A man worth remembering. Enjoy.

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SRV was one of the all time greats for sure. A bit of a fan myself.

And I believe that it was Jimmy Page who said there are great guitarist & then there is Jeff Beck. Talk about a mind blowing guitar player & the way he played.

Also if you are unaware of Mark Knopfler, look him him up. "Yeah the boy can play" (Walk of life)

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And I believe that it was Jimmy Page who said there are great guitarist & then there is Jeff Beck. Talk about a mind blowing guitar player & the way he played.

Also if you are unaware of Mark Knopfler, look him him up. "Yeah the boy can play" (Walk of life)
These are just my opinions.

The Dire Straits, oh my god, love them. They were so good. I had a good friend, a guitar buddy, who really loved Mark Knopfler. And since I liked anything DS did, I always loved them too.

However, in terms of greats of the guitar, there are lots of genuinely brilliantly guitarists. What separates the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck from the Jimmy Page's and Mark Knopflers and the Robert Fripps was that super intangible. Knopfler was brilliant and beautiful, but he was always Dire Straits. SRV, Beck, Clapton and Hendrix, they were only whatever happened on stage.

I can appreciate both, but right now, I want to remember SRV. The commitment, the verve, the soul. Who else is doing this that's not buried in the scene? SRV was life then, he was bigger than. That's what I want to remember here. Even the giants we remember marvel at SRV. He was a force.

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And yeah, you might remember me making a joke a while back about you living in Stevie Ray Vaughn, CA... lol 🤠 🐻

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And yeah, you might remember me making a joke a while back about you living in Stevie Ray Vaughn, CA... lol 🤠 🐻
I remembered, but forgot that was you. I got your number now :p

Sponsored

ScottyC

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A rare gift to us that left too soon...rest in peace SVR

rotorwrench

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R Nine T, R1200RS, Outback, Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Albert King called him a master of the Guit-Fiddle. Don't forget that he had a great rhythm section in Tommy and Whipper.

NYtoCALI

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4 door on order-Transwest Ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

RIP SRV