Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just wanted to share my experience in swapping out some speakers in my 2DR OBX w/ Lux package. Although I never thought the sound was horrible, it did feel lacking in some areas, but that said, I didn't want to undertake a huge and overly expensive project, just wanted "a little better" in the sound department.

I started with the SSV Works Rear Speaker Pods with the Kicker speakers. This was an easy swap except for the fact that I put the brackets on upside down and the bottom bracket screw hole wouldn't line up. I reached out to their tech support and got a phone call back telling me to swap the brackets to the other side and bingo, now all lined up. User error on my part! These pods made a difference in the clarity of the sound coming from the rear.

Next up I replaced the L and R dash speakers with Kicker KSC40's. This was a quick swap out as well, pry off the grates, a couple of screws, drop in the new speakers, put the grates back on, done. Again, I felt the sound coming out was much more clear than the factory speakers.

Finally I swapped out the speakers in the front kick panel. This was a little more work with the trim panels being careful not to break anything and it is a tight space to work in. I replaced the kick panel speakers with Kicker 51KSC6704's. Following the common theme here, the clarity of the sound was improved over the stock speakers.

Overall this was a worthwhile upgrade for me. I didn't do anything with the dash center speaker nor the subwoofer at this point and I am not sure if I will. I was not expecting a radical difference but it is a noticeable difference in the clarity as well as the separation of the ranges in the sound stage over the stock speakers. I know a better amp would bring that up to another level, but this is "good enough" for me with my 53 year old ears and short commutes. The other thing I noticed is that I have to give the speakers a little more volume than I did with the stock ones, for instance, playing a volume level 8 with the stock needs 10-11 now to get the "same volume", but again, much clearer sound now.

I know there has been numerous discussions about audio upgrades and if a speaker swap is sufficient and whatnot. I believe this speaker swap out was worth the approx. $650 cost to get the most out of the stock system without breaking the bank and introducing a more complex upgrade. It isn't world changing, but like I said, the sound has a higher level of clarity and separation of the lows, mids, and highs in the mix. Honestly, this basic level of a decent set of speakers should have been what Ford put in the vehicle to call it "Lux",

--Rob.
Sponsored

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Timely post. I just ordered a set of 6 Focal speakers to replace all mine (except the sub). I'm hoping the same, a bit more range and clarity. I don't plan to add an amp right now, I'm going to see how these change things. If I feel like it needs more, the Kicker Key is an easy, fairly inexpensive addition.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Timely post. I just ordered a set of 6 Focal speakers to replace all mine (except the sub). I'm hoping the same, a bit more range and clarity. I don't plan to add an amp right now, I'm going to see how these change things. If I feel like it needs more, the Kicker Key is an easy, fairly inexpensive addition.
the factory stereo sux i went co axle alpines deck and pods and alpine mini subs in kickers with mti tailgate sub kicker pro 10" fosgate amp and processor also clear and loud with top off

Acadist

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just did the 2 dash speakers, noticeable difference that has me considering more but good for now as I have some other mods I want to do first

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the amp will help you get a better experience out of those speakers, but you may not see much of a difference considering the volume level you set. You'd probably have to go with a much more expensive setup to notice another big improvement.

I never thought the sound was unforgivable, like some, because I had reasonable expectations for the Bronco. I had a soft top JK two-door and already knew that chasing the audiophile dragon was just not worth it for these types of vehicles. When I go to Taco Bell, I am not expecting Gordon Ramsey to pop his head out of the drive-thru window, haha.

Good on ya for changing them yourself and hope you enjoy it!

I put in Focals as well and in case you haven't had a lot of Focal speakers before they're brighter than most speakers. I love the clarity it gives the dash, but I am missing somewhere in the mid-bass range. It's most noticeable on songs with which I am absurdly familiar.

I don't have a sub currently, but I'm thinking about switching the kick panels to something with more of a mid-bass focus as well as a sub for bass. Please let me/everyone know if you notice a gap between the Focals and the subwoofer.

Sponsored

Mjasi3

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Finally I swapped out the speakers in the front kick panel. This was a little more work with the trim panels being careful not to break anything and it is a tight space to work in. I replaced the kick panel speakers with Kicker 51KSC6704's. Following the common theme here, the clarity of the sound was improved over the stock speakers.

--Rob.
Did the kick panel speakers help? Ive read they are pretty good. and im not sure I want to tackle those panels... 24 4dr LUX BnO. I've put hertz in dash corners, ssv kicker pods. Will probably amp the pods and put in an 8" kicker replacing the wimpy BO sub.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I put in Focals as well and in case you haven't had a lot of Focal speakers before they're brighter than most speakers. I love the clarity it gives the dash, but I am missing somewhere in the mid-bass range. It's most noticeable on songs with which I am absurdly familiar.
I feel the same way about my Infinity Reference - very clear, great treble without being what I would call bright or harsh, but still lacking a bit in the mids before it sweeps down to the subwoofer register, and there it is balanced well with the high range (but that is pretty easy to adjust between the LFE Crossover setting and subwoofer gain).

It seems to be a common problem across a lot of brands, I think something about the Bronco interior just swallows up mid-range frequencies.

OP
OP

RobL2112

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did the kick panel speakers help? Ive read they are pretty good. and im not sure I want to tackle those panels... 24 4dr LUX BnO. I've put hertz in dash corners, ssv kicker pods. Will probably amp the pods and put in an 8" kicker replacing the wimpy BO sub.
Out of the 3 swaps, I think that was the least bang for the buck. The SSV pods were a very noticeable difference and the dash speakers added a level of clarity to the sound. As with the other speakers, it did improve the clarity, which I think was really the end result of doing this swap out.

OP
OP

RobL2112

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think the amp will help you get a better experience out of those speakers, but you may not see much of a difference considering the volume level you set. You'd probably have to go with a much more expensive setup to notice another big improvement.

I never thought the sound was unforgivable, like some, because I had reasonable expectations for the Bronco. I had a soft top JK two-door and already knew that chasing the audiophile dragon was just not worth it for these types of vehicles. When I go to Taco Bell, I am not expecting Gordon Ramsey to pop his head out of the drive-thru window, haha.

Good on ya for changing them yourself and hope you enjoy it!

I don't have a sub currently, but I'm thinking about switching the kick panels to something with more of a mid-bass focus as well as a sub for bass. Please let me/everyone know if you notice a gap between the Focals and the subwoofer.
Yeah, I never thought the sound was unforgivable, hell, I drove around my F150 for 10 years with the factory Sync 2 Sony system and only swapped out speakers after they blew out. My days of trying to build a competition worthy audio system are long gone! My hope was to get some clarity with the sound to enjoy my music while driving knowing that it wasn't going to take it to the "next level" but just improve on the basics. Also, being 53 I'm sure my hearing isn't what it was when I was 23!

Mjasi3

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Out of the 3 swaps, I think that was the least bang for the buck. The SSV pods were a very noticeable difference and the dash speakers added a level of clarity to the sound. As with the other speakers, it did improve the clarity, which I think was really the end result of doing this swap out.
im hoping amping up the pods will help with the mids :p

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I appreciate the feedback. One of my coworkers has the Focals in his car, though he's running them with an amp. Back when I was into the car stereo stuff, the Infiniity Kappas were my go-to speakers. Th Focals kinda reminded me of the Infinities. Unfortunately there are no Kappas in the sizes needed for the Bronco.

I have the factory sub. I will probably end up replacing it with the Kicker 6.75". I'm not looking to go crazy with this thing as I refuse to give up a millimeter of interior space, so everything needs to fit in factory locations. I just can't stand how much range is missing from the factory speakers.

Going from my F350 with its 100% stock system to the Bronco is a huge difference in audio quality. I didn't expect that in a 10-year newer vehicle.
Sponsored