First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
The weather is finally letting me try my lift. It worked well but due to the crap on the ceiling in my garage, I was over-conservative when mounting.
That and having a factory Bimini on created some challenges that I made for myself and will adjust in the future.

But other than my personal issues, the top lift worked well. It may take some for me to get over the will it fall anxiety, because I know it has a positive break system in it that would require the whole thing to explode mechanically to actually fail. But I'm in software development and a past in manufacturing, so I know how it can go. Still it's a pretty cool system.
p.s. yes it is dirty. it's a daily driver and I don't like drive-through car washes and I haven't had time yet. it was pulling a moving trailer this past weekend.
Ford Bronco SmarterHome Top lift success - and thoughts PXL_20230516_193938550
Sponsored

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

What is your garage ceiling height? And fully raised can you measure the distance from the floor to bottom of the top?
thanks

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The weather is finally letting me try my lift. It worked well but due to the crap on the ceiling in my garage, I was over-conservative when mounting.
That and having a factory Bimini on created some challenges that I made for myself and will adjust in the future.

But other than my personal issues, the top lift worked well. It may take some for me to get over the will it fall anxiety, because I know it has a positive break system in it that would require the whole thing to explode mechanically to actually fail. But I'm in software development and a past in manufacturing, so I know how it can go. Still it's a pretty cool system.
p.s. yes it is dirty. it's a daily driver and I don't like drive-through car washes and I haven't had time yet. it was pulling a moving trailer this past weekend.
PXL_20230516_193938550.jpg
If worried about falling a few i bolts with bungees or wratchet straps and no worries. Mine has hung fine for a year with either hard or the soft top.

Last edited:

Sweetair

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 SHO, 03 Marauder, '69 S Code XR7 vert Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Need to get mine installed. Maybe this weekend. I am looking to also fabricate some kind of secure sling that takes the weight off the lift straps. No because I am worried of it falling but rather not having the straps deforming the rubber seals by the back window.

Beach Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just installed my lift too. Let me know if you come up with a solution to eliminate straps deforming rear window seal.

20230516_230825.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
mike8675309

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the easiest way to stop the straps from deforming the seals would be to get some 2 x 4's of the correct length and let the straps wrap around those. Even if the 2x4 presses on the seal, it's less force as it's being spread across the entire seal rather than a 2" or so straps.

Personally, I'm not overly worried about the seals. I tightened the straps so that 90% of the force on the seal was just compression and not movement or slip that might lead to tearing.

I'm not worried logically. It's just when something is hanging. It helps that I did the work, so I know what is being used. I've seen a lot of ceiling fans installed in a way that it's amazing the fan didn't fall down.

OP
OP
mike8675309

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
What is your garage ceiling height? And fully raised can you measure the distance from the floor to bottom of the top?
thanks
Ceiling height at that location in the garage: 10feet 9inches
Lowest part on the bronco top to the floor is : 7'feet 7inches

In theory, that means the top attached to the system needs 3' 2" to work with.

5PC24

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If worried about falling a few i bolts with bungees or wratchet straps and no worries. Mine has hung fine for a year with either hard or the soft top.
What do you do in order to have it hold the soft top up? I'm trying to figure out how to store soft top. Right now it's still on the pallet as delivered in the dual top option but that takes up way too much space.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm planning on building my own but using a similar design. Using HVAC uni-strut, a Harbor Freight electric hoist and some strraps from custom tiedowns. The goal is to get it as close to the ceiling as possible, so I will likely recess the hoist, then build a cage similar to that smarter home one, but instead of using straps hung off the cage the custom tie downs will bolt to the uni strut and attach at the roof rack attachment points giving me a great picking angle while spreading the load across all 4 points. Although it seems some have had success with just the rear set. To alleviate the load during storage I'll have a pair of unistruts mounted on the ceiling with a spring loaded threaded rod hanging down and a pair of 2x3's the width of the top - using wingnuts to create a floating shelf for the top to rest on - not entirely but really to take the weight off the flat hooks in the roof rack slots. Then I can use the 2x3's as a shelf for the front and mid panels with no additional weight/stress on the roof itself. Way overkill - but if you haven't seen my modification to the $28 DIY cargo/trunk shelf yet - then go check that out and you'll see I'm pretty much all about overkill. :cool::cool::cool:

Kfcflores

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Installed my lift today. Super happy with it. Didn't put the mid panel on top because I wanted to make sure I had enough clearance to still back in. Plenty of room so I will add that on top and rebalance.

IMG_2666.jpeg

IMG_2664.jpeg

IMG_2665.jpeg

IMG_2663.jpeg
Sponsored