First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2DR Eruption green
Your Bronco Model
Base
So let me start this out as I’m adding an air locker to my 2.3 manual base. I have a ford racing pinion and ring gear, rear end rebuild kit, arb locker and onboard air to install. I have 4.46 gears and intend to keep the same gearing so don’t try to convince me to regear.

I have 2500 miles only on my 23 Bronco as I travel for work and don’t drive a lot. Can I keep the original pinion in and simply use the new ring gear as the original is a welded gear open diff that I’m replacing?

I’ve never don’t this sort of job before. I have all the tools and the kit came with two crush sleeves, but why change it if it’s not needed? That’s half the work I’d save getting the gears to mesh properly. Trying to save some time and effort when they are still new parts? But I’m open to anyone who knows more than me here!
Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So let me start this out as I’m adding an air locker to my 2.3 manual base. I have a ford racing pinion and ring gear, rear end rebuild kit, arb locker and onboard air to install. I have 4.46 gears and intend to keep the same gearing so don’t try to convince me to regear.

I have 2500 miles only on my 23 Bronco as I travel for work and don’t drive a lot. Can I keep the original pinion in and simply use the new ring gear as the original is a welded gear open diff that I’m replacing?

I’ve never don’t this sort of job before. I have all the tools and the kit came with two crush sleeves, but why change it if it’s not needed? That’s half the work I’d save getting the gears to mesh properly. Trying to save some time and effort when they are still new parts? But I’m open to anyone who knows more than me here!
DO NOT do that! Better to swap you ORIGINAL ring gear to the ARB diff...that you can do!

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
DO NOT do that! Better to swap you ORIGINAL ring gear to the ARB diff...that you can do!
I think in this application the original ring gear is welded not bolted to the assembly. So best plan is likely installing the new matched set ring/pinion.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think in this application the original ring gear is welded not bolted to the assembly. So best plan is likely installing the new matched set ring/pinion.
4.46 is welded? That sux, but ya, if welded then you are gonna have to do the whole job!

Sponsored

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fleet of Toyota 4runners and Land Cruisers
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Do not mismatch a used pinion with a new ring gear. You shouldn't mismatch them at all, but definitely not a set that's been broken in. Recipe for early failure.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
4.46 is welded? That sux, but ya, if welded then you are gonna have to do the whole job!
Yeah unfortunately everything I've read indicates the 4.46 ring gear is welded. Seems like only the 4.7 gear is bolted on.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah unfortunately everything I've read indicates the 4.46 ring gear is welded. Seems like only the 4.7 gear is bolted on.
So the 4.7 ring gear is confirmed to be bolted on?

OP
OP

explorer4x4

Base
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2DR Eruption green
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks all, I thought I replied to this after the first couple of replies but it never posted. Looks like I’ll be using all the parts in my rebuild kit.
Including the second crush sleeve when I’m not happy with it the first time lol

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Open diffs are welded. Lockers are not. It's got nothing to do with the ratio.

Sozzy1269

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco 2door, 2012 Raptor, 2017 f350
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Got an ARB locker on the way and need the ring and pinion and install kit, as well as a compressor and manifold. Does anyone have a good source for these? Xtreme terrain has the gears in stock but is out of the install kit, but has a Nitro brand install kit. Is anyone aware of a cheaper place to purchase these, in stock? Thanks.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're almost certainly going to be removing the pinion multiple times when setting up the gears anyway. That's a big job to bite off with no experience. Do you have someone that's done gears that can assist?

Open diffs are welded. Lockers are not. It's got nothing to do with the ratio.
This.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're almost certainly going to be removing the pinion multiple times when setting up the gears anyway. That's a big job to bite off with no experience. Do you have someone that's done gears that can assist?

This.
Man, ill give LESS than 10% success rate for OP
Im curious how or why you would have all the tools to set up a r&P but have never done it… i have the tools, but i bought them to do it and had help. This is not changing an air filer or sparkplugs…. Not in anyway saying it cant be done…. Just theres a reason most towns have gear shops….
Sponsored