Sponsored

Recommendations for tire chains for 35" Sasquatch tires (LT315/70R17)

Thatchman

Badlands
First Name
Xenu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I live in a state with chain laws in the winter so I need to purchase some tire chains that fit my 35" Sasquatch tires (LT315/70R17). I'm finding that this size is just out of range for lots of popular tire chains I've used throughout the years. I'm looking for recommendations for tire chains that fit these larger tires. Thanks.
Sponsored

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2023 owners manual says to only use chains on the rear wheels. Also only 255/70R16 and 255/75R17 tires. And finally to use steel wheels since chains may chip aluminum wheels.

https://www.codot.gov/travel/colorado-chain-law

The law says "All passenger vehicles weighing less than 16,001 pounds gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) must have tire chains or alternate traction devices (ATD) installed on two or more drive tires."

I don't know what alternatives are available. Snow socks don't go that big.

Last edited:

old goat

Big Bend
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think alternate might mean studded tires ? just my guess .
or
get some that are wide enough and add links to it !
HOME BREW !!!!

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I live in a state with chain laws in the winter so I need to purchase some tire chains that fit my 35" Sasquatch tires (LT315/70R17). I'm finding that this size is just out of range for lots of popular tire chains I've used throughout the years. I'm looking for recommendations for tire chains that fit these larger tires. Thanks.
Im in Colorado as well, chain laws don't apply to vehicles with the 3PMS tires or 4WD/AWD.

You can see here in the "Know before you go" section

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2023 owners manual says to only use chains on the rear wheels. Also only 255/70R16 and 255/75R17 tires. And finally to use steel wheels since chains may chip aluminum wheels.

The law says "All passenger vehicles weighing less than 16,001 pounds gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) must have tire chains or alternate traction devices (ATD) installed on two or more drive tires."

I don't know what alternatives are available. Snow socks don't go that big.
That only applies to 2WD vehicles without 3PMS or snow tires. He’s fine in his Bronco if you read further down.

Sponsored

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The chain law is only for commercial vehicles. Vehicles like our Bronco's only need to have 4 WD and snow rated tires. I have lived here forever and have never seen anyone in a 4x4 heading to the ski resorts on I-70 running snow chains.
On another note, if you have never used snow chains, its a whole new world. Not typically done on asphalt. They can potentially rip apart break lines and cause other damage to the vehicle.
If you go this route, take it slow and easy.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I got a set of snow straps that I threw under the passenger seat. Just in case. They go through the spokes on your rim and around the tire that way. They are more or less disposable, but are inexpensive. If you get stuck and need them, you have them. Beats hours of shoveling trying to get out.

If you are out snow wheeling or actually plan to use them more than once you want something heavier duty. But snow straps get you by if you get asked by a cop, and they usually won't make you put them on if you at least have M/T tires (although I did have to once in CA)

ironmike

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Im in Colorado as well, chain laws don't apply to vehicles with the 3PMS tires or 4WD/AWD.

You can see here in the "Know before you go" section
California makes you have chains in your rig, under certain conditions, even with 4wd and/or snow-rated tires. If passing a checkpoint, you have to show that they’re onboard (granted you don’t have to show that they fit).

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
California makes you have chains in your rig, under certain conditions,
At least California will post signs (R3) when they're required. But the roads are often closed by then.

Last edited:

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last edited:

Sponsored

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

California makes you have chains in your rig, under certain conditions, even with 4wd and/or snow-rated tires. If passing a checkpoint, you have to show that they’re onboard (granted you don’t have to show that they fit).
This is where it gets sticky. You are right in that you don't have to show fitment, AND I've never ever even had to show the chains on board in a 4wd. I've been a skier for 40 years with season passes, with 7 years living in CO (3 years in a ski town) and the rest in CA including living in the mountains for 5 years and with 4wd I've never shown my chains at a check point.

But, during an R3 even 4wd are suppose to have chains on, I drove to work one day during R3 unknowingly without seeing the update and I didn't get pulled over for not having chains on. But I'm betting the CHP was too busy with the "flatlanders" stuck in the road & accidents to worry about a local without chains on a 4wd more than it was me getting away with anything.

But what do we do if the law says 4wd needs chains during an R3 and the manufactures say no for tires over:

The 2023 owners manual says to only use chains on the rear wheels. Also only 255/70R16 and 255/75R17 tires.
Before I bought my Bronco with Sasquatch, my truck had 30" tires and I was told by a local CHP not to get in an accident or stuck where I'd be blocking the road and needed help to get unstuck without chains on board or it's a big ticket.

But what about the above from the manufacture? I think part of that depends on the officer and the situation.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't get pulled over for not having chains on.
You probably looked like you knew what you were doing. I've noticed that CHP and AZ DPS officers often take that in consideration. Especially if you're not causing a problem.

ironmike

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I was making a backhanded reference to R3 chain controls in CA when I said “under certain conditions”. As you guys mentioned, R3 is a euphemism for “the road is gonna be closed once CHP has logistics in place”. 99% of drivers will only encounter R1 or R2, so chains in the box will suffice for Broncos.

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
He’s in Colorado, where we have the right to slide off the side of a 14,000’ mountain and tumble to our deaths like real Americans
Ford Bronco Recommendations for tire chains for 35" Sasquatch tires (LT315/70R17) IMG_2897
Sponsored

Last edited: