Sponsored

RCI Rear Shock Mount Skids - Any tips for "shifting" the bolts?

Zavala

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4-Dr, Nissan Titan, Suzuki Samurai
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am stymied... about to put my tools away! Ugh... I am attempting to install the RCI Rear Shock Mount Skids but am stuck at step 1a in the instructions.

It says to "Shift the lower linkage bolt so that the nut contacts the mount and there is space between the bolt head and the mount." Which seems simple enough (see pic below) except every technique I have tried (rubber hammer, regular hammer, c-clamp, lever, pry bar, and inappropriate use of screwdriver) has failed!

I am working on it on the ground, have no lift. Wondering if I need to jack it up and let the wheel dangle or something. Anyone done this install successfully and have suggestions? @RCI Offroad got any pro tips?

Ford Bronco RCI Rear Shock Mount Skids - Any tips for "shifting" the bolts? 1705180169542
Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah get a lift under there - it will help a ton

Being able to work the whole thing up and down to get it lined up makes it much easier

Also, ratchet straps if you end up having to take the bolts out entirely

OP
OP
Zavala

Zavala

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's what I figured, but was tuckered out by then. Will give it another go hopefully tomorrow.

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's what I figured, but was tuckered out by then. Will give it another go hopefully tomorrow.
I wish you luck. I had mine up on a lift and still struggled to “shift” the bolt. My tool box includes a 4lb. sledge for just such situations.

OP
OP
Zavala

Zavala

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I finally got back to attempting again… and success!

I don’t have access to a lift so I used a tall jack on the frame and did each side individually.

As predicted, MUCH hammering was involved… but they eventually got on.

it looks like they will be quite sturdy. And a bonus is I’ve decided I will NEVER be changing my own shocks. 🙃
Ford Bronco RCI Rear Shock Mount Skids - Any tips for "shifting" the bolts? IMG_5186
Ford Bronco RCI Rear Shock Mount Skids - Any tips for "shifting" the bolts? IMG_5187
Ford Bronco RCI Rear Shock Mount Skids - Any tips for "shifting" the bolts? IMG_5182
Sponsored