Sponsored

Pull the trigger for SAS size Falken WildPeak A/T3W?

OP
OP

Rferrara

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tesla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To be honest, I have Falken AT3 on my wife's truck for a reason cough "Iowa" cough. My Delium Tires have been pretty awesome in the bad weather. I mean I drove 2wd through the last blizzard not by choice. I would go price a set of eBay with install from simple tire.

These
https://terraraidertires.com/ku-257/
thx ,which one do you prefer for ride quality ?
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

thx ,which one do you prefer for ride quality ?
My Falkens have 50k miles on them and have been balance picky the last 25k. Definitely going to get 75k miles out of the set.

Delium are smoother but slightly more road noise. They are also much softer so much less road life. Definitely more traction.

I will buy Delium since I didn't pay current pricing for my Falkens. Falken are nice but not top dollars nice.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You're not going to get a better ride from any other tire. We all know the tires come over inflated from the factory, so adjust your tire pressure down to 31/32 cold so they will warm up and run no more than 35.

What you are experiencing is an off road vehicle. Some people buy one thinking it's going to drive like a sedan or a typical SUV and it is not.

If you do not like the way that it rides, no "tire" is going to fix that, only suspension changes will. You are going to have to look into adjustable valve shocks (I mean the ones that have a lever on them to adjust from soft to firm)

You may also try adding some weight like metal bumpers, rock rails, skids ect. It will make the Bronco less Bouncy.

OP
OP

Rferrara

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tesla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're not going to get a better ride from any other tire. We all know the tires come over inflated from the factory, so adjust your tire pressure down to 31/32 cold so they will warm up and run no more than 35.

What you are experiencing is an off road vehicle. Some people buy one thinking it's going to drive like a sedan or a typical SUV and it is not.

If you do not like the way that it rides, no "tire" is going to fix that, only suspension changes will. You are going to have to look into adjustable valve shocks (I mean the ones that have a lever on them to adjust from soft to firm)

You may also try adding some weight like metal bumpers, rock rails, skids ect. It will make the Bronco less Bouncy.
Thank you, I appreciate that, yeah, I of course was not expecting it to ride like an explorer and I did see the fox shock system that does have the actual adjustable, soft firm, but this is where I get a little confused admittedly

It sounded like a shock system would help you with the bumps, but when driving on plane old pavement, it seems to be the tire style and sidewall thickness was more of a driver and feeing the road?

But I really have no comparator other than previous so Iā€™m super open to any feedback

thanks very much

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thank you, I appreciate that, yeah, I of course was not expecting it to ride like an explorer and I did see the fox shock system that does have the actual adjustable, soft firm, but this is where I get a little confused admittedly

It sounded like a shock system would help you with the bumps, but when driving on plane old pavement, it seems to be the tire style and sidewall thickness was more of a driver and feeing the road?

But I really have no comparator other than previous so Iā€™m super open to any feedback

thanks very much

Yeah I get you. And my post may have been a bit blunt..basically what I was getting at is that the Goodyear territory tires that come from the factory are especially designed to be light and flexable (C rated) so you won't find a more forgiving aftermarket tire.

Now had you not had a SAS, I believe the Badlands came with KO2's and had that been the case, then maybe you'd have a shot because those are known to be a little stiff.

Put some heavy stuff in the cargo area (like a couple hundred pounds)...or maybe get 3 big friends to climb in, and see if extra weight helps settle it down.

Oh... One more thing, I don't know how many miles you have, but The suspension does take some time to settle in from new.

Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is the most honest answer. The factory Goodyears are pretty damn road worthy for an AT tire of that size. I think itā€™d be a waste of $$ to pull the rip cord on those so soon.

5100ā€™s wonā€™t do much for your ride quality if you already have the sas package either.

Iā€™d recommend giving it some time before putting any money into it. I came from a sedan so the highway road noise was my biggest adjustment. Yours might be the fact that drive like unrefined pigs šŸ˜‚ Either way Iā€™m so happy I didnā€™t do much because the annoyances fade and thereā€™s a lot of fun to be had.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is the most honest answer. The factory Goodyears are pretty damn road worthy for an AT tire of that size. I think itā€™d be a waste of $$ to pull the rip cord on those so soon.

5100ā€™s wonā€™t do much for your ride quality if you already have the sas package either.

Iā€™d recommend giving it some time before putting any money into it. I came from a sedan so the highway road noise was my biggest adjustment. Yours might be the fact that drive like unrefined pigs šŸ˜‚ Either way Iā€™m so happy I didnā€™t do much because the annoyances fade and thereā€™s a lot of fun to be had.
Yeah I've been real impressed with the Factory Tires. I know people hate the rock throwing and I hope it stays that way so once mine wear out, I can pick up another set for cheap :)

BKinn

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond RTR w/SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I can't recommend the AT3Ws enough... just not specifically to improve ride quality.

As others have said, changing the tire on a SAS isn't going to improve ride quality, especially a noticeable amount. These body-on-frame vehicles will always have a rougher ride, particularly if you're used to a car or other unibody vehicles. If it's that bad, I'd do something with the suspension, though likely not 5100s since they're so close to stock SAS. King, Fox, etc. are great options, but pricey.

There are other reasons to upgrade though, if you just want feedback on the tires. My experience so far has been that the OEM Goodyears are just fine, nothing to write home about. I've had the AT3Ws on my past 3 trucks and they're what I put on everything now, fantastic tire. AT3Ws gave me the best grip in rain and snow I've experienced, drove them in 32 sizing through over 16" of snow in Estes Park without issue, they sold me for life. I'll be putting a set of 35s of them on my Bronco ASAP as well.

All That said, everyone is going to have differing opinions on tires, unfortunately. Some people (like me) like the AT3Ws, others like KO2s, the list goes on...

OP
OP

Rferrara

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tesla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah I get you. And my post may have been a bit blunt..basically what I was getting at is that the Goodyear territory tires that come from the factory are especially designed to be light and flexable (C rated) so you won't find a more forgiving aftermarket tire.

Now had you not had a SAS, I believe the Badlands came with KO2's and had that been the case, then maybe you'd have a shot because those are known to be a little stiff.

Put some heavy stuff in the cargo area (like a couple hundred pounds)...or maybe get 3 big friends to climb in, and see if extra weight helps settle it down.

Oh... One more thing, I don't know how many miles you have, but The suspension does take some time to settle in from new.
I think your feedback was great, didn't take it as blunt, i have about 7500 miles on everything. airing down the tires helps but need to look a little further for comfort.

my follow up question would be keeping SAS sizing and +/- changing tires, would a fox 2.5 adjustable be the most comfortable on road suspension or is there a better option to look at?

OP
OP

Rferrara

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tesla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can't recommend the AT3Ws enough... just not specifically to improve ride quality.

As others have said, changing the tire on a SAS isn't going to improve ride quality, especially a noticeable amount. These body-on-frame vehicles will always have a rougher ride, particularly if you're used to a car or other unibody vehicles. If it's that bad, I'd do something with the suspension, though likely not 5100s since they're so close to stock SAS. King, Fox, etc. are great options, but pricey.

There are other reasons to upgrade though, if you just want feedback on the tires. My experience so far has been that the OEM Goodyears are just fine, nothing to write home about. I've had the AT3Ws on my past 3 trucks and they're what I put on everything now, fantastic tire. AT3Ws gave me the best grip in rain and snow I've experienced, drove them in 32 sizing through over 16" of snow in Estes Park without issue, they sold me for life. I'll be putting a set of 35s of them on my Bronco ASAP as well.

All That said, everyone is going to have differing opinions on tires, unfortunately. Some people (like me) like the AT3Ws, others like KO2s, the list goes on...
thanks for the feedback. it sounds like they maybe worth while just not only for ride confort (although lower road noise is always a plus)

question is, i have been looking into suspension, and anything that is a non liner shock will be more of the same from what i can read. it looks like the king/fox road may be the best but expensive.

the most plush that i have found is the adustable fox 2.5, is there another you would recommend?

also, and i have no experience in this, since most of the feeling comes from the rear , does anyone ever just replace the rear set or is that just crazy?

im super open to all feedback.... trying hard to make this tolerable as a daily driver with big on road miles

thx

Sponsored

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting thread. As others said I dont think changing the tire will change much in the "drive" itself. It might feel slightly smoother and quieter on flat roads but bumps will still feel the same. If you're not happy with the way it rides right now, then changing tires will likely result in you also still not being happy with the ride. You might get less road noise from the SAS Territories (which I have found to be pretty good with road noise) but I think that is the biggest impact you will see with changing tires...is the noise difference. In addition the SAS Territories are extremely light. I have looked and looked for my next tire, ill run the Territories into the ground but after, and almost all are 15-20lbs heavier. You will definitely feel that in your drive. Rotating mass. Keep this in mind. This is when staying in the traditional SAS 35" class. You also might have to consider a rear tail gate reinforcement (so thats more $$$ too).

Your not happy with the ride...I am seeing two options:
-Try changing the tires
--Requires tires cost and install
--Requires tail gate reinforcement cost and install

-Try changing the suspension
--Requires suspension parts cost and install
--Requires alignment (usually part of install labor cost)

That being said I am about to install the FOX 2.5 Elite Performance kit, just waiting on my UCA from Bach Build @BachBuiltOffRoad ;) and then I'll have a local shop in town do the install. My plan is to keep the current SAS wheels and tires (if I can, should be able to). With the dual compression set up on the Fox, I should be able to get full control or at least what is advertised on the market right now as one of the most customizable setups. Meaning I can change both low and high speed compression (how the shock handles bumps at those different speeds). In theory I can set them up to be really soft for low speed bumps (speed bumps, pot wholes, driving around town/local streets where I am driving slow) and then for high speeds like high way or if I am sand dunning and hitting whomps I can set that to either be soft or hard on those bumps at those higher speeds. I'll follow up. Doing this is more expensive than buying tires and a tail gate reinforcement.

However, you do not need that "wild" of a set up. You can always try out the Bilstine 5001 (I think there called or maybe 5110?) which are massively popular. Something like that, a suspension modification, would give you a true change in ride. These are more affordable and highly recommended by most. Something like this should be either less expensive or on par with a full tire swap and tail gate reinforcement.

OP
OP

Rferrara

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tesla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting thread. As others said I dont think changing the tire will change much in the "drive" itself. It might feel slightly smoother and quieter on flat roads but bumps will still feel the same. If you're not happy with the way it rides right now, then changing tires will likely result in you also still not being happy with the ride. You might get less road noise from the SAS Territories (which I have found to be pretty good with road noise) but I think that is the biggest impact you will see with changing tires...is the noise difference. In addition the SAS Territories are extremely light. I have looked and looked for my next tire, ill run the Territories into the ground but after, and almost all are 15-20lbs heavier. You will definitely feel that in your drive. Rotating mass. Keep this in mind. This is when staying in the traditional SAS 35" class. You also might have to consider a rear tail gate reinforcement (so thats more $$$ too).

Your not happy with the ride...I am seeing two options:
-Try changing the tires
--Requires tires cost and install
--Requires tail gate reinforcement cost and install

-Try changing the suspension
--Requires suspension parts cost and install
--Requires alignment (usually part of install labor cost)

That being said I am about to install the FOX 2.5 Elite Performance kit, just waiting on my UCA from Bach Build @BachBuiltOffRoad ;) and then I'll have a local shop in town do the install. My plan is to keep the current SAS wheels and tires (if I can, should be able to). With the dual compression set up on the Fox, I should be able to get full control or at least what is advertised on the market right now as one of the most customizable setups. Meaning I can change both low and high speed compression (how the shock handles bumps at those different speeds). In theory I can set them up to be really soft for low speed bumps (speed bumps, pot wholes, driving around town/local streets where I am driving slow) and then for high speeds like high way or if I am sand dunning and hitting whomps I can set that to either be soft or hard on those bumps at those higher speeds. I'll follow up. Doing this is more expensive than buying tires and a tail gate reinforcement.

However, you do not need that "wild" of a set up. You can always try out the Bilstine 5001 (I think there called or maybe 5110?) which are massively popular. Something like that, a suspension modification, would give you a true change in ride. These are more affordable and highly recommended by most. Something like this should be either less expensive or on par with a full tire swap and tail gate reinforcement.
Great thoughts, the smoother on flat roads (highway) is key for me (i think) so im hoping, most likely to much, that tires will help with this at least partly.

the fox 2.5 kit is exactly what i was thinking if i had to go that way due to the adjustable at low speed. the 5100 seam to have feedback that the ride over bumps is around the same as the SAS

but i would love to hear your feedback on ride comfort (and cost) once you get the kit installed as this may be the road i have to go down if i cant find a better option.

thanks

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great thoughts, the smoother on flat roads (highway) is key for me (i think) so im hoping, most likely to much, that tires will help with this at least partly.

the fox 2.5 kit is exactly what i was thinking if i had to go that way due to the adjustable at low speed. the 5100 seam to have feedback that the ride over bumps is around the same as the SAS

but i would love to hear your feedback on ride comfort (and cost) once you get the kit installed as this may be the road i have to go down if i cant find a better option.

thanks
For what it's worth. I had the KO3 (in 33"s) on my wrangler, loved them, AT tires. The SAS Territories are MT tires and I honestly do not notice a difference between them. They feel extremely similar. At least to me.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would not recommend the Kings. They can be tuned but are pretty stiff.

I think @popo_patty has a video he made that compares different suspensions and there are definitely some that are more in line with what you are looking for.

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Pull the trigger for SAS size Falken WildPeak A/T3W? 1Y7A5178-beach

Here's my non sasquatch badlands with 315/70R17 and 17x8.5 0 offset. No other mods or lift.

The tires definitely feel heavier than the stock KO2s but they have a lot more grip in the rain. I think when running over small hard bumps I can feel that the shocks aren't really meant for wheels and tires this heavy but that's just a guess of mine since I've never really owned a truck before. It feels more "shaky" as the shocks try to dampen more weight.

Very minimal on the road noise as well. I think it might be less road noise than the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on my Elantra N.
Sponsored