First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Replacing the OEM subwoofer with a Kicker subwoofer, and wanted to know if I should be doing anything with the interior like Polyfil, Dynamat (etc) to enhance the sound. Any tips, tricks, or anything else would be great.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Benallen6

Base
First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green 2 Door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Replacing the OEM subwoofer with a Kicker subwoofer, and wanted to know if I should be doing anything with the interior like Polyfil, Dynamite (etc) to enhance the sound. Any tips, tricks, or anything else would be great.
I've seen many people fill it with Polyfil

OP
OP

OVRLNDR

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So, Dynamat on the interior. Anything else?

Should I rubber-mount (rubber washers) the enclosure back into the cargo area, or is that not needed?

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I dynamatted the area (not the inside of the enclosure) and used fiber fill on mine while I had it out. I did have my Kicker in for a bit before that - and the sound opened up a good bit with the combination of the matting and the fill, but I couldn't tell you if it was primarily one or the other.

I don't think you need to rubber mount the bolts, the dynamat kinda takes care of this for you - but do make sure you get them tight. Mine were loose from the factory and it was causing a rattle (which is why I had pulled my enclosure back out with the Kicker and then did the mat/fill).

If you have the mat and filler - no reason not to while you have it all pulled out really. It's not expensive and the hardest part of the job is getting all the trim off anyway.

Spiderwolf

Raptor
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubicon, 2016 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pac
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I did both dynomat and poly fill. I also, put dynomat on the inside of the outer panel.
Ford Bronco OEM Sub Enclosure 325856698_1570254386721233_2019432319385967547_n
what exactly are you using for your amp and sub? They look huge compared to stock. Did you eliminate the stock sub enclosure? Is it all plug and play? I’m wanting to upgrade my Raptor and just started looking into all this.

Tacnav#1

Badlands
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge AWD, F-150, Dodge Challenger R/T
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

what exactly are you using for your amp and sub? They look huge compared to stock. Did you eliminate the stock sub enclosure? Is it all plug and play? I’m wanting to upgrade my Raptor and just started looking into all this.
I used a kicker 800.1 amp with a 8" kicker low profile sub in the stock enclosure. I had the B & O system but replace it with 2 additional amps for all the other speakers. Tied it together with an Axxess DSP.

OP
OP

OVRLNDR

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks for the tips.

What about the dash speaker locations. I yanked a speaker, and it's just empty and hollow underneath. Is there anything that can be done in those locations to improve the sound / acoustics?

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, Dynamat on the interior. Anything else?

Should I rubber-mount (rubber washers) the enclosure back into the cargo area, or is that not needed?

Loosely polyfill the interior of the enclosure but make sure it stays away from the ported transmission tube. Dynamat underneath where it bolts to the fender and also the inside of the fender behind the box. It is best to also dynamat the backside of the plastic panel the covers everything . A blowdryer will soften it up just enough you can use the rounded end of a standard sized screwdriver to roll/press it into the honeycomb of the trim panel. Too much dynamat never hurt a sound systems performance ?)

Sponsored

Chris0803

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Loosely polyfill the interior of the enclosure but make sure it stays away from the ported transmission tube. Dynamat underneath where it bolts to the fender and also the inside of the fender behind the box. It is best to also dynamat the backside of the plastic panel the covers everything . A blowdryer will soften it up just enough you can use the rounded end of a standard sized screwdriver to roll/press it into the honeycomb of the trim panel. Too much dynamat never hurt a sound systems performance ?)
I was planning on lining the OEM enclosure with Killmat and stuffing it with Polyfill, will the Killmat inside of the enclosure help or hurt the bass?

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was planning on lining the OEM enclosure with Killmat and stuffing it with Polyfill, will the Killmat inside of the enclosure help or hurt the bass?
I don’t think it will really help or hurt anything but it will suck if it comes loose

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If anything just put some on the outside areas of the box

Sparkee

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Street Glide, Chevy k1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Should the enclosure port remain or block it off? Also approximately how much polyfill?

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I will drop this video here

The real answer - depends on your speaker and some math.

The layman edition - open port will tend to be louder and boomier, sealed will tend to be tighter and more accurate. But it really depends on the mechanics of your speaker and the volume of the box and all that math.

For fill - the easy answer is 1 pillow’s worth. You don’t need it packed tight in there.
Sponsored