Sponsored

OEM 7-speaker radio. Do I want kk 200.4 only or the 500.1 as well?

Xrayphoton1

Heritage
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Hey everyone. Just picked up my bronco two days ago. Loving everything about it so far other than the radio. I'm not ready to replace speakers or the sub yet so I wanted to try the kicker key 200.4 first with the kit from plugnplay. Should I get the 500.1 as well to run the OEM subwoofer? Or is it not worth it unless upgrading the sub to 8" as well? I tried searching but couldn't find anyone trying it on the factory sub. Upgrading the speakers isn't in the budget yet so just looking for the quickest way to make it sound it's best.
Thanks
Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would wait on the 500.1 until you are ready to get the speaker to go with it. You don't want to keep going into that rear cargo area if you can avoid it, it's a bit of a pain and that plastic stuff loves to break. Go in once, do it right, and be done.

I'd also say if you are on a budget - I'd just upgrade the dash 4.5's for right now. That's the biggest bang for the buck radio upgrade. Look for one with a high senstivity (88db or higher) and that will give you a big boost right off the bat for less money (and about a 5 minute install)

An amp will be a bigger upgrade, but it costs a lot more, is a much more involved installation, and to get your money's worth from that you really need better than the OEM speakers to go with it.

Last edited:

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What @Brian_B said.

If you are knowing you will want to put in your own sub one day and you are to purchase from @plugnplaykits, you could consider “future proofing” yourself. Buy the appropriate harness now. Even if you buy the 200.4/500.1 Kit from PnP, you can still gradually build and tune your soundstage. But you only want to run your harness’s once.

Most of us, like myself, have started with a speaker swap, then amped the 4ch, then installed a dedicated sub over the course of months/years!

Here’s a current and perfect thread

OP
OP
Xrayphoton1

Xrayphoton1

Heritage
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Alright so I spent more than I said I was, lol. I just ordered the 200.4 kit from plugnplay and then went to crutchfield and ordered the 4.5" kicker ks and 6.75" kicker ks both for the front and it said it came with the mounting hardware and wires adapters. Hopefully this will be a big enough improvement to hold off on taking the back apart for a few months. My biggest concern on the back is figuring out how to run the wires from the battery to the back where the 500.1 goes. Are there any guides or videos posted on how to do it for an idiot like me? Thanks

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Alright so I spent more than I said I was, lol. I just ordered the 200.4 kit from plugnplay and then went to crutchfield and ordered the 4.5" kicker ks and 6.75" kicker ks both for the front and it said it came with the mounting hardware and wires adapters. Hopefully this will be a big enough improvement to hold off on taking the back apart for a few months. My biggest concern on the back is figuring out how to run the wires from the battery to the back where the 500.1 goes. Are there any guides or videos posted on how to do it for an idiot like me? Thanks
That’s actually really easy. The plastic sill along the door - it pops right up. Wire runs from the passenger kick panel, through the sills, and then right up to where the subwoofer is.

There’s a bunch of wires already in there, just lay your new ones right along with them

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just a thought for you is that I wouldn’t upgrade the rear speakers until you can upgrade the rear pods to 6.5s. The ones in there now are a waste and only gets worse if you take off the top.

OP
OP
Xrayphoton1

Xrayphoton1

Heritage
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Just a thought for you is that I wouldn’t upgrade the rear speakers until you can upgrade the rear pods to 6.5s. The ones in there now are a waste and only gets worse if you take off the top.
Thanks! I was wondering if upgrading the rear 4" speakers were worth it or not. I figured getting the front done was the most important first as that's where you want to hear your music come from. I guess the rear is more for rear passengers or if you want to crank it with the top off and in that case you would want the bigger 6.5s

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I did it in stages too. Speakers first then and that sounded a lot better, but they Kicker Key was huge difference maker. Can’t go wrong with those. You will love it when you’re done. No regrets.
Sponsored