swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
These Quadratec bump stops were more work than expected... Needed these due to non factory offset wheels rendering large gaps with factory stops. Ford used silly plastic fasteners with plastic drywall anchor-ish housings to secure the bumps stops to the gate. After twisting off the original stops, I was able to remove one fastener by getting the threads to bite via compressing the anchor housing with small pliers. The other one was completely stuck (endlessly spinning screw). So I had to remove both the spare tire mount and the gate cover just to get access to the fastener.

With an extra set of hands I used some sharp pointed wood spade bits to pry the fastener out of its housing. Although not the best solution, my custom fastener solution is definitely better than stock. I used an actual drywall anchor along with a stainless steel sheet metal screw and a fender washer inside the new stop. Although this might present some removal difficulties, it couldn't be worse than the OEM crap.

PXL_20240423_005400286_exported_1130_1713838287209.jpg

PXL_20240423_012732717_exported_1031_1713838226042.jpg

PXL_20240423_015813488.jpg

I got the lengths of the stops just right - longer than factory by the offset difference between the two wheels (34 mm in my case (Raptor)). Quadratec said to cut the stops with a hacksaw which worked, but not well. After some practice cuts, I used a box knife instead. It's tough, but it cut better than the hacksaw.

These stops are quite a bit softer than factory and almost seem too soft for their purpose. I guess I'm not too concerned, as the spare mount itself is quite beefy.
Sponsored

Mongoose

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands SAS, Cobra, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will be running two sets of wheels with different offsets. For the winter, I will be running my stock SAS wheels with the standard -35 offset. For the summer, I recently put on some Vorsteiner VR-601BL wheels which have 0 offset. My original plan was to swap the Ford bump stops when I changed the wheels over twice a year, but the hardware that Ford used to mount the stops is a pain as you discovered. I measured inside of the standard bump stop and the smallest taper ID is 1.125 inches. I ordered some red urethane rod which I will insert into the standard bump stop when I am running the Vorsteiner wheels and I will simply remove the rod when I switch to the factory wheels for the winter. The rod should be here by the end of the week and I will take pictures after the install: https://www.uniflexinc.com/product/polyurethane-rod-1-1-8-dia-stock-select-color-durometer/

Love the Vorsteiner wheels!!

Ford Bronco New Spare Tire Bumpstops to Match New Wheel Offset IMG_0651