Sponsored

Need Help with VHF Handheld Radio.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey guys. Looking for a little help on VHF radios, handhelds in particular. I'm an absolute newbie to VHF radios & sometimes find myself struggling with reading through all the info.
I'm looking for something I can easily program the popular Weatherman (151.625) & BFG Relay (151.715) frequencies. What should I be looking for?

What have you used and found that works good for you? Looking at handhelds as I have a GMRS radio in the truck already as my primary & prefer not to clutter it up.
Any radio model suggestions?

Thanks for the help :cool:
Sponsored

dlpanda

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I added a quad band radio to my bronco, to cover "most" freq's. (Dont want to turn this into a FCC regs convo tho)

I have had 2 HX370's for 10 years now. They are still on the same batteries they came with. Used in glamis, which can be rough on them, until I finally went to a 50w. I use them as loaners to friends when we go to Mexico or glamis. They have always worked for me but I dont think you can get that model anymore. It looks like can still get the HX380 which is supposed to be better. Now as for programming, hopefully you have the know how or have a buddy for that.

OP
OP
Felix808

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I added a quad band radio to my bronco, to cover "most" freq's. (Dont want to turn this into a FCC regs convo tho)

I have had 2 HX370's for 10 years now. They are still on the same batteries they came with. Used in glamis, which can be rough on them, until I finally went to a 50w. I use them as loaners to friends when we go to Mexico or glamis. They have always worked for me but I dont think you can get that model anymore. It looks like can still get the HX380 which is supposed to be better. Now as for programming, hopefully you have the know how or have a buddy for that.
Thanks for the reply. I am currently looking into how to get my HAM license to be legal. It is my understanding that I can listen without a license but can't transmit until licensed.
As far as programing, I'm a noob with little resources in that department.

Semper-Fi

dlpanda

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks for the reply. I am currently looking into how to get my HAM license to be legal. It is my understanding that I can listen without a license but can't transmit until licensed.
As far as programing, I'm a noob with little resources in that department.

Semper-Fi
As far as programming, there are a lot of options but most can be frustrating. Chirp is supposed to be one size fits all, but I dont care for it. I use an old laptop that is not connected to anything and not used for anything except radio programming. I usually just use the software provided by the manufacturer. Windows 11 killed off a lot of driver compatibility.

This company provides software and cables for a lot of radios. https://www.rtsystemsinc.com
Good luck and Semper Fi

OP
OP
Felix808

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks again. I will look into it.

Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This has done well for me: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MAULSO...1_4&amp=&crid=2JTU0A9XEYQ6J&amp=&sprefix=bf-f

It is a HAM radio, but it also can transmit on the GMRS frequencies. I used a TIDRadio bluetooth programmer to slam in all the GMRS channels into memory.

EDIT: It's POSSIBLE that there has been a revision of this radio that is locked to only HAM frequencies just like the UV-5R, and there is a key sequence that be applied to unlock them.

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ham (Amateur) radio is very popular. With the use of repeaters high on a tower the range is very large. GMRS is probably the next most popular as there is no testing. They work well for one vehicle to another and some areas do have repeaters. If you search Repeater Handbook you can see what areas have repeaters. FRS is OK for car to car or friends and family outings. MURS is good for this also but fairly limited to a few radios.

Programing is getting more difficult as units are getting more and more "fancy". For Ham the Yaesu FT-60 handheld is my favorite. The Yaesu FTM-6000R is my current mobile ham radio and it is the easiest to program of the several units I have owned. Wouxun KG935 is my favorite GMRS handheld. BTECH makes a MURS radio for 151 mhz band.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Felix808

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for all the replies. Almost ready to pull the trigger.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FYI, the Weatherman (151.625) & BFG Relay (151.715) frequencies actually are not HAM (Amateur Radio) frequencies. A true HAM radio will not let you broadcast on them, but you can monitor. They are actually Business Radio Itinerant frequencies. That's how Race Radios, etc. can set up their radios with them, although they did just get a big fine. They are technically only licensed for use in a few locales.

That all being said, you can mod many HAM radios (MARS/CAP mod) that will allow you to broadcast on all of hem, including the GMRS frequencies.

Everybodys favorite BAOFENG handheld is not technically a HAM radio, it is more of commercial radio. That means it's not limited to broadcasting just on the HAM frequencies, it's pretty much open to anything in the typical VHF/UHF ranges.

OP
OP
Felix808

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks. I'm leaning toward a BAOFENG, just trying to decide the model. I will only be listening at this point as I have not taken my test yet.
Sponsored