Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ll have to check but may be a possibility
I think @WillRCTID is only going to stay for half a day but I'll probably be there the entire day. So if you can make it, we can continue to explore after he needs to leave..
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My Gifford National Forest Camping and 4x4 Trip: (photo HEAVY)

I had previously purchased a new tent, a lightweight and compact 3p backpacking style tent to replace my old one but after test setting it up, I decided I wanted something a bit bigger and with more headroom.

I returned it and purchased a 4 person Kodiak Canvas Tent (9x8 ā€“ 6ft tall). After the Kodiakā€™s 1st use, I am very happy with that decision! The added room was great for storage, and it was very roomy inside. The added height offered inside the tent was great. I am 6ā€™ 1ā€ and while standing in it, my head did not touch the top.

I arrived in the area at about 9 AM as the start location for this trip is only about a 1-hour drive from my house.

I scouted the area maps before the trip, and I had identified a few potential spots for dispersed camping. I decided that due to the amount of recent rain in the area most of those dispersed sites would probably not be usable. I also wanted to get camp set up early so I could ditch the gear from the Bronco.

Based on that, I decided to just stay at Sunset Falls Campground. Itā€™s a small and primitiveā€™ish camp site and with my National Parks Access Pass it only cost $10 for the night. As a bonus, itā€™s right on a river. There was only one other camper there and they were located on the other side of the campground from me.

I got everything set up at the camp site early and stashed all the loose gear inside the tent. After that, I went exploring the off-road areas.

Here is everything that fit into my topless 2dr. It all easily fit, and I had room for plenty more, even topless.
  • 4 Person Canvas Tent with poles
  • Tent Footprint
  • Sleeping Cot
  • Sleeping Pad
  • Sleeping Bag
  • Camp Pillow
  • Camp Chair
  • 2 ea Camp Tables. 1 med size for outside and 1 small for inside tent
  • Jetboil Minimo
  • Frying pan, plate, bowl, cups, silverware etc.
  • 2 100g propane tanks for the Minimo
  • Yeti 18 cooler
  • Ignik Fire Can
  • 5lb Ignik Growler Propane Tank
  • Rain Gear Trail Cover
  • Lantern, shovel, axe, flashlight, headlamp
  • Toiletries, dish washing soap, other small items
  • Winch recovery gear
  • Hoses etc. for Power Tank
  • Ford 84pc tool kit
  • Change of clothes
  • 2-gallon water jug
  • First aid kit
  • Bear Spray
  • 10lb Power Tank System
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • Garmin inReach Mini 2
  • Rocky Talkie 5W GMRS Radio
Day 1 (explored upper portion of the map)

On the trails at about 10:30 AM. Most of the trails, and side trails, that I explored on day 1 would be rated as easy-moderate but there were a few Iā€™d def rate as moderate. With the recent amount of rain, I assumed, and was correct, it was a semi-mud fest.

I backtracked on one side trail I took as the upcoming angles were too extreme for me to feel comfortable attempting with me being solo and with no spotter. I do not do sketchy trails or trails where I do not feel comfortable as a solo. In this case, a roll off would have sent me tumbling off a steep incline mountain and down several hundred feet.

I got back to camp at about 6PM and I cooked up some hotdogs for dinner along with some potato salad I had packed from home. Not the greatest grub on the planet but after a long day on the trail it was all super tasty.

As the sun went down, I started up my Firecan and sat in my chair by the fire relaxing while taking in all the sights and sounds of nature. It was awesome and very relaxing. I rarely drink alcohol, but I always bring one beer to drink at night when relaxing by the campfire. This one went down smooth and capped off a great day 1. I hit the sack about 10 PM.

Day 2 (explored lower portion of the map)

Woke up in the morning about 6 AM after a great nightā€™s sleep and made some coffee (Life Support Juice). It was a bit chilly, so I started up the Firecan again and drank a few cups of coffee by the fire. Again, soaking in all the sights and sounds of nature.

Nothing better than sleeping next to a fast-flowing river where you can hear the water flowing and it crashing off the rocks.

Back on the trails about 8 AM and day 2 was just more exploring of the area, doing side trails Iā€™d find and hitting a few walking tails I found. Most of the trails I hit on day 2 were moderate trails. The Axel Breaker Trail was an absolute blast and was my favorite for the trip. I got back to camp at about 3pm, broke camp down, packed up and headed home.

Overall, the trip was an absolute blast. The trails were fun, I had plenty of awesome views and took a few hikes on small foot trails I found along the way.

I didnā€™t get the chance to take a lot of photos on day 2 because the trails were nasty and I needed to focus on them. There were also far less areas where stopping for a cool photo was an option.

A few pieces of new gear to test out. The Kodiak Canvas Tent, which was phenomenal, and the Ignik Firecan. The Firecan was awesome, and I got almost 4 hours total from the 5lb growler tank.

I am coming back to this area in a few weeks as I have a ton left to explore. I did find and mark a few good dispersed camp sites so maybe in a few weeks they will be habitable.

The Bronco needs a bath after this one as itā€™s absolutely filthy. I also had a fair amount of mud into the rear seating areas and cargo area. Iā€™ll run it by one of those self-serve spay washes and call it a day.

Photo bomb time:

The Area Map:

data.png

Day 1 Images:

data.jpg

data.jpg

data.jpg

data.jpg

data.jpg

data.jpg

data.jpg

data.jpg

data.jpg

data.jpg

Short Video of Small Rocky Waterfall:

Day 2 Images:

20240509-062550.jpg

data.jpg

data.jpg

data.jpg

data.jpg

data.jpg

data.jpg

data.jpg

data.jpg

If you made it this far, congrats! This was a long post! šŸ˜€ šŸ‘
Wow, stunning pics! šŸ˜ Thanks for sharing your trip to Gifford National Forest with us, Kris!

Acadist

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think @WillRCTID is only going to stay for half a day but I'll probably be there the entire day. So if you can make it, we can continue to explore after he needs to leave..
I just need to get ā€˜approvalā€™ lol

OregonMike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

See y'all on Sunday morning!

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A real 56k warning out in the wild!!! šŸ˜‚

Love the pics, etc. I need to pull the trigger on one of those cockpit covers and go around topless more--so many critters out here, though.

Sponsored
OP
OP
raqball

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A real 56k warning out in the wild!!! šŸ˜‚

Love the pics, etc. I need to pull the trigger on one of those cockpit covers and go around topless more--so many critters out here, though.
I can still hear that cringy dial up tone followed by "You've got mail" LOL

I have a www.broncobikini.com canvas bikini and it's great! It's canvas, not mesh, so it'll keep most of the rain out. I've had mine on a almost 2 months now in the PNW where it rains quite a bit and have not had any issues with rain or water on the dash.

My rain gear trail cover is mainly to keep the critters out when camping. I am a fair weather camper and plan my trips based on clear sky's! When I am home the Bronco is garaged overnight..

BenderSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Suge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The trail cover? Yeah, it's mainly to keep any overnight rain, dew and critters out since I roll topless (I do have a canvas bikini on) for a large part of the year.

Back in the late 80's I was overnight camping in my topless CJ and the next day when I was leaving a rather large snake came slithering out from under the passenger side seat.. Freaked me out and I almost crashed! LOL.. Pulled over to side of trail, found a stick, and wrangled it out..

Now I always use a cover, mainly to keep critters out, and I poke a stick under the seats before leaving..
Thanks for the PSA, I don't wanna meet a snake in my car. Won't leave my Bronco's bitties out in case snake wanna slither in the cabin!

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The trail cover? Yeah, it's mainly to keep any overnight rain, dew and critters out since I roll topless (I do have a canvas bikini on) for a large part of the year.

Back in the late 80's I was overnight camping in my topless CJ and the next day when I was leaving a rather large snake came slithering out from under the passenger side seat.. Freaked me out and I almost crashed! LOL.. Pulled over to side of trail, found a stick, and wrangled it out..

Now I always use a cover, mainly to keep critters out, and I poke a stick under the seats before leaving..
That Trail Cover is a good buy. I found it a month or so ago and plan to purchase.

Cheers to team 2 Dr in getting your gear in and efficient packing. That tent is very nice; looks pricey, but looks to pack down small. Let us know how you fit it with no roof rack. I think you can definately teach me a thing or two. Have a Gazelle T4 and love it, but itā€™s big. :)

Trail looked like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
raqball

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That Trail Cover is a good buy. I found it a month or so ago and plan to purchase.

Cheers to team 2 Dr in getting your gear in and efficient packing. That tent is very nice; looks pricey, but looks to pack down small. Let us know how you fit it with no roof rack. I think you can definately teach me a thing or two. Have a Gazelle T4 and love it, but itā€™s big. :)

Trail looked like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.
For packing, I don't fold the rear seats down and use the area between the back of the front seats and the front of the rear seats to pack it full and sandwich gear in-between them.. I don't pack anything so it sits above the body line.

Here is everything with it's packed location. I can snap a few photos before my next trip and send you a PM with those images if it will help you visualize.
  • 4 Person Canvas Tent with poles (rear seat area)
  • Tent Footprint (rear seat area)
  • Sleeping Cot (rear seat area)
  • Sleeping Pad (cargo area)
  • Sleeping Bag (rear seat area)
  • Camp Pillow (rear floorboard area)
  • Camp Chair (rear seat area)
  • 2 ea Camp Tables. 1 med size for outside and 1 small for inside tent (cargo area)
  • Jetboil Minimo (packed in storage box - rear seat)
  • Frying pan, plate, bowl, cups, silverware etc. (packed in storage box - rear seat)
  • 2 100g propane tanks for the Minimo (packed in storage box - rear seat)
  • Yeti 18 cooler (front passenger seat floorboard)
  • Ignik Fire Can (cargo area)
  • 5lb Ignik Growler Propane Tank (cargo area)
  • Rain Gear Trail Cover (rear seat area)
  • Lantern, shovel, axe, flashlight, headlamp (packed in storage box - rear seat)
  • Toiletries, dish washing soap, other small items (packed in storage box - rear seat)
  • Winch recovery gear (rear floorboard area)
  • Hoses etc. for Power Tank (rear floorboard area)
  • Ford 84pc tool kit (rear floorboard area)
  • Change of clothes (backpack - passenger side front seat)
  • 2-gallon water jug (cargo area)
  • First aid kit (cargo area storage cubby)
  • Bear Spray (glove box)
  • 10lb Power Tank System (cargo area)
  • Fire Extinguisher (cargo area)
  • Garmin inReach Mini 2 (dash)
  • Rocky Talkie 5W GMRS Radio (dash)
I had room for more. I could have stuffed a few more small items in the rear seat area and I had room in the cargo area for additional items.. I'd guesstimate I was at about 85%-90% capacity.. Obviously, if I had the hardtop on I could have doubled my pack list as I'd be able to use the hardtop enclosure to pack upwards..

Acadist

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not going to make it, going to go north and go Aurora hunting tonight so it would be too early for me. Have a great time an keep me in mind for next time

Sponsored
OP
OP
raqball

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not going to make it, going to go north and go Aurora hunting tonight so it would be too early for me. Have a great time an keep me in mind for next time
No worries..

I am planning on section 1 of the BDR probably the end of June so I'll PM you when I have more info and we can plan the Packwood meet up to explore that area..

Red Sox 4Life

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette, Lexus GS350, Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'll be there.. I have a 12K winch and recovery gear. Also have a GMRS radio and a Garmin inReach Mini in case disaster strikes..

Also, I can contribute air to air back up. My power tank should have enough left to fill about 12 more tires..
Thanks for putting the bit about the GMRS radio! Had no idea what it meant and then Googled it. Found a good one on Amazon with 21K reviews. Fairly new to off roading, so I learn quite a bit reading this forum.

OP
OP
raqball

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
raqball

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Met up with @WillRCTID and @OregonMike for a fun day on the trails. Awesome people and awesome times.

Probably could use it's own thread as I believe they have more, and better images. Videos taken by @WillRCTID

Photos:

Ford Bronco My Gifford National Forest Camping and 4x4 Trip: (photo HEAVY) data

Videos:

Last edited:

OregonMike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Great fun, and great to meet you @raqball! Looking forward to another trip up that way, the area is beautiful.
Sponsored