Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey All

Going Overlanding near Tahoe in about a month. Looking for a solution to store extra fuel and water jerry cans to the tailgate. Most of the options I'm seeing out there are several hundred dollars or universal types that I am not sure will fit well. Any recommendations? Pic for reference.

Screenshot 2023-08-12 071507.png
Sponsored

Turn Offroad

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hey All

Going Overlanding near Tahoe in about a month. Looking for a solution to store extra fuel and water jerry cans to the tailgate. Most of the options I'm seeing out there are several hundred dollars or universal types that I am not sure will fit well. Any recommendations? Pic for reference.

Ford Bronco Jerry can mount solution to tailgate? Screenshot 2023-08-12 071507
We are close to releasing a Jerry Can mount for our TC3-M1 tire carrier reinforcement If you’re also looking to beef up your spare tire assembly.

https://turnoffroad.com/collections...bronco-hd-tire-carrier-tailgate-reinforcement

Destination Bigfoot Bronc

Outer Banks
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Limited, 2022 Bronco OBX Cyber Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey All

Screenshot 2023-08-12 071507.png
Here's what I came up with

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's what I came up with
Cheapest way to go is RTR spacers for OEM hinges, RTR plate, and carrier of choice. RTR carrier is nice but $$$$$ and heavy. You can save a LOT of weight by using Scepter can and this carrier:

https://atoverland.com/products/at-can-holder-scepter

they weigh about 6 pounds and carrier is about 5...versus 3x that for Jerry/RTR carrier.

5 pounds of gas is 30 pounds, Jerry can is 15ish, plate is probably 5 with spacers...RTR carrier is 13...that puts you well over the max tailgate limit with even a stock wheel/tire combo. You should also get a M2M tailgate limiter with whatever combo you get so you don't smash your tail light.

Sponsored

Destination Bigfoot Bronc

Outer Banks
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Limited, 2022 Bronco OBX Cyber Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Cheapest way to go is RTR spacers for OEM hinges, RTR plate, and carrier of choice. RTR carrier is nice but $$$$$ and heavy. You can save a LOT of weight by using Scepter can and this carrier:

https://atoverland.com/products/at-can-holder-scepter

they weigh about 6 pounds and carrier is about 5...versus 3x that for Jerry/RTR carrier.

5 pounds of gas is 30 pounds, Jerry can is 15ish, plate is probably 5 with spacers...RTR carrier is 13...that puts you well over the max tailgate limit with even a stock wheel/tire combo. You should also get a M2M tailgate limiter with whatever combo you get so you don't smash your tail light.
Not if he uses a tailgate reinforcement like mine clearly states that I used. Also not bolting them to the hinges and using the molle panel allows you to move the mount closer to the tire which will allow you tons more room having a 35" tire. Which will in fact give you even more clearance when opening the tailgate.

Last edited:

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not if he uses a tailgate reinforcement like mine clearly states that I used. Also not bolting them to the hinges and using the molle panel allows you to move the mount closer to the tire which will allow you tons more room having a 35" tire. Which will in fact give you even more clearance when opening the tailgate.
Got it...but add up the weight of your M2M tailgate reinforcement, the molle panel, the RTR carrier, the Jerry can, and 5 gallons of gas...you are over the Ford weight limit for the tailgate (especially with a 37). The tailgate reinforcement may offset some that, but despite the strength of the reinforcement all that weight is transferred to the pillar...and I can assure you that it flexes (and you have to compensate for latch adjustment). That also stresses the hard top (if you have one). I was merely trying to point out weight...and even with your setup, swapping a Scepter can and the aluminum carrier shaves off almost 20 pounds. Another option is the 15 pound reinforcement plate from Hammer built and using their angle bracket and a Rotopax or simply bolting the Jerry can carrier to that bracket. I wouldn't be chiming in if I hadn't already wasted a lot of time and money trying the BAMF system, the RTR system, the RC system, and the HB system. I now run a swing out carrier...because even with the lightest possible setup I noticed flexing (and that was with Raptor hinges). Just my 2 cents...I hope whatever anybody chooses to use works out great for them. Note however, with any plate system, unless the holes through which the bolts pass to the hinge are countersunk there is still the potential for some movement. With the Raptor hinges, the bolt holes are separate from the through holes which attach the hinge to the tailgate. Also, with the RTR spacers, you could easily use OEM hinges and unbolt only one at a time so as not to have to risk having a nut plates fall into the chasm of the tailgate.

Last edited:

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not sure if you have the OEM rack. If you do add this HF cargo basket and as many 1-2 gallon plastic gas cans you think you’ll need ratchet or bungee strapped down? Remove rack when not in use.
https://www.harborfreight.com/150-lb-capacity-roof-mounted-steel-cargo-carrier-64101.html
Thanks for that link. The rack looks like it would work well on a stock Bronco roof rack. I was thinking that I want to haul a couple of 5-gallon Jerry Cans when I go way off road. I know that the metal ones from Harbor Freight would hold up, not so sure about the plastic ones.

The last time I drove to Jarbidge Nevada, I was thinking that extra gas would have helped, since gas there is $8.00 per gallon and the next nearest location with gas is 60 miles away. Of course, paying fifty bucks to put in enough gas to get back out is still way less than buying the extra capacity to haul along with me. Next time I'll be sure to top up at the last chance before heading out there in the middle of nowhere again.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for that link. The rack looks like it would work well on a stock Bronco roof rack. I was thinking that I want to haul a couple of 5-gallon Jerry Cans when I go way off road. I know that the metal ones from Harbor Freight would hold up, not so sure about the plastic ones.

The last time I drove to Jarbidge Nevada, I was thinking that extra gas would have helped, since gas there is $8.00 per gallon and the next nearest location with gas is 60 miles away. Of course, paying fifty bucks to put in enough gas to get back out is still way less than buying the extra capacity to haul along with me. Next time I'll be sure to top up at the last chance before heading out there in the middle of nowhere again.
Scepter cans are tougher than Jerry cans...they are what the military uses. They have fallen off various military vehicles at speed and sustained nothing more than scuffs. They are rough to get in places like CA, and they are expensive, but if you ask anyone who has owned/used them and Jerry cans generally the Scepters get rave reviews. The big weight savings alone make a difference.

Sponsored

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Scepter cans are tougher than Jerry cans...they are what the military uses. They have fallen off various military vehicles at speed and sustained nothing more than scuffs. They are rough to get in places like CA, and they are expensive, but if you ask anyone who has owned/used them and Jerry cans generally the Scepters get rave reviews. The big weight savings alone make a difference.
Thanks for the pointer. I can get one at the local Tractor Supply for quite a bit less than a metal can from Harbor Freight.

I'm getting closer to actually going out and buying all this stuff. ;)

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you go that route make sure to get the correct spout (they have a unique vent system for a fast pour) and a wrench to get the cap off (they can get tight with pressure changes). Also, they are slightly different interventions that the Jerry can so if you get a carrier it needs to be Sceptor-specific. There are companies that make dual Scepter carriers and singles.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

...if you get a carrier it needs to be Sceptor-specific...
Ummm.... I was planning to use a couple of ratchet straps on the above mentioned Harbor Freight cargo basket. Should work the same regardless of the type of gas can. ;)

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hey All

Ford Bronco Jerry can mount solution to tailgate? Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 11.35.57 AM
What bumper is that in the picture. I was looking for a double swingout. Tire is a bit too high but hopefully it’s adjustable.

retiredarmymp

Badlands
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used the Hammerbuilt tailgate reinforcement with the RotoPax mount, the JCR Off-Road spare tire basket (I built the support brackets myself out of aluminum because they are made of steel and too heavy, in my opinion, from JCR; Hooke Road half luggage rack and Front Runner boxes. We just completed a week long trip to Silverton Colorado and everything worked great!
Ford Bronco Jerry can mount solution to tailgate? CL9
Sponsored