Sponsored

In LOVE with the Bronco! Want to leave car...

Base

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
A year ago I traded my Civic Type R in on my Bronco Base. No regrets, just smiles! If you love the Bronco get one, life's too short not to be happy :)
Sponsored

KDWright5407

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Palisade, Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You may be able to eat up that extra $5K equity (from your Carmax quote) if you sell the car private party or see if a Honda dealership will offer you more. Carmax, while a bit better than Carvana or those other sites, still low-balls a bit. I'd list it on FB Marketplace or other such place at a price a little higher than what you owe on it and see what bites you get. May have to be patient.

Last edited:

Coralhead

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Base Squatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you all for your reply. Carmax is offering me 24k for the Civic. I would have negative equity of 5k. And Honda provided me with a handsome apr of 4.9, when I financed the vehicle.
Not to sound mean but you obviously could not afford the Civic if you are upside down on the value/loan. I would guess that the Bronco being a more expensive vehicle and more to operate would not be a good financial choice. That being said....the choice is yours...

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As a 40 year old man, I'd drive almost anything else over a Civic. Yolo. Keep it to within reason, since you don't want to be working until you are 70. My guess is that if you cannot afford a Bronco, you also cannot afford that Civic.

Sponsored

BRONCO_MARC

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hello All,

I highly desire a Bronco. Either a BD or OXB trim. I currently own a 2022 Honda Civic. The seats are very uncomfortable after my long commute to and from work. 38 miles and 1 hour commute time. And this car sits so damn low!

I live in the midwest, and the winters are brutal. The Civic slides all over. The only thing this car has going for itself is the mpg. I'm averaging 30 to 32 mpg.

I am 40 years old, Male. I never about anything nice or cool for myself. Man I would love a Bronco especially for the winter.

Would it be idiotic to let the Civic go and get me a Bronco?

Thank you!
If you can afford it, it would be idiotic not to...

OP
OP

ASS_FIN_DIR

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As a 40 year old man, I'd drive almost anything else over a Civic. Yolo. Keep it to within reason, since you don't want to be working until you are 70. My guess is that if you cannot afford a Bronco, you also cannot afford that Civic.
Thank you for the reply! The Civic is paid in full! The loss on sale would be just that, a loss. Like another person stated, I may just have to sell the civic privately to break-even or damn near it!

OP
OP

ASS_FIN_DIR

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not sure if stepping up to a Bronco just to deal with snow conditions makes sense. Perhaps settle into a nice and easy to maintain Subaru ?
Thank you for the reply. Not just the snow. But the reality of purchasing and owning something nice, for a change. In addition to being up high in the air, and not low to the ground like a damn low rider.

OP
OP

ASS_FIN_DIR

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You may be able to eat up that extra $5K equity (from your Carmax quote) if you sell the car private party or see if a Honda dealership will offer you more. Carmax, while a bit better than Carvana or those other sites, still low-balls a bit. I'd list it on FB Marketplace or other such place at a price a little higher than what you owe on it and see what bites you get. May have to be patient.
Thank you for the awesome suggestion! If I go the private route, I am aiming to break-even or damn near it!

The Civic is fully paid for! I only paid interest for 1 or 2 billing cycles, and then just paid off the remaining liability.

Nw_adventure

Big Bend
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you all for your reply. Carmax is offering me 24k for the Civic. I would have negative equity of 5k. And Honda provided me with a handsome apr of 4.9, when I financed the vehicle.
Emotions aside... I wouldn't roll negative equity over from the Honda into a Bronco unless you're awash in cash, which the negative equity indicates you're not. Between the negative equity, the substantially higher cost of a Bronco, likely higher interest rates and the increased fuel and likely insurance expense, it sounds like it would be an economic disaster to more than double you're debt load on a depreciating asset like a car. Civic's are one of the least expensive cars in the world to own and operate, I'd suggest you hang onto the Honda another 18-24 months at least, the depreciation curve will have flattened and your economic situation may be better. My two cents, but I've been and done what you're proposing and buried myself very deeply in my younger years.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for the reply! The Civic is paid in full! The loss on sale would be just that, a loss. Like another person stated, I may just have to sell the civic privately to break-even or damn near it!
Just wondering, when you say 5k negative equity, do you mean trading it in you'd take a haircut (what's it's "worth" versus what you get), not get back what you've already put into it in total payments (what I think you mean), or you're upside down (owe more than you get for it, e.g. negative equity that has to be paid or rolled into new payments)?

If it's the middle one, I got a tiny little violin. All cars depreciate.

OP
OP

ASS_FIN_DIR

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you for the reply. The middle one is correct, sir! I am well aware of a depreciating assets. ie, cars, house, etc.

I would like to add that the 2023 Honda Civic is fully paid for! I only paid interest on the note 1 or 2 billing cycles. Then paid that liability off.

Scoop

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badsquatch, '74, '76, & '78 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for the reply. The middle one is correct, sir! I am well aware of a depreciating assets. ie, cars, house, etc.

I would like to add that the 2023 Honda Civic is fully paid for! I only paid interest on the note 1 or 2 billing cycles. Then paid that liability off.
Going off your username I would think you are well aware of any monetary consequences! LOL

Go for it! Broncos do great in the snow. I live at 8600 feet elevation in Colorado and we have snow and icy roads 4 plus months out of the year. In fact, we're supposed to get more snow tomorrow! My suggestion is to make sure the Bronco you choose has AWD mode. This with the slippery GOAT mode makes driving the snow very easy.

As noted several times already, you'll take a hit on gas mileage and the wind noise at speeds over 65 mph are a bit noisy. I have added sound deadening headliners to the hard top which helped a bit. That said, the seats are very comfortable and have the best seat heaters of any vehicle I have owned. The Bronco is very fun to drive with plenty of power - even the 2.3 L.

I don't think you'll regret the move.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Ok ... these are things you probably should have opened with and you'd probably have avoided answers like mine. If you basically paid cash for what you already have and are being offered $24k that you'll be applying to a new/used Bronco then I don't see why you're even asking the peanut gallery ... go down to your Ford dealer and get what you want, they might even give you more trade-in with tax credit (if your state works that way)!
Sponsored