Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hey ya'll, i'm sure a lot of you remember posting about my buddy wrecking his transmission pan on the trail several months ago? If not, then here is the video!

Well after that happened I looked around for a transmission pan that worked with factory skids. I located an amazon deal on an aluminum pan that bolted up to the factory skids. It was cheap and it seemed like it would work... Well after 7 months of running it, it is all bent out of shape and was a royal pain to remove. I've also seen a few options crack. To be honest, while it worked, it wasn't a long term solution in the rocks. There was no ribbing for strength and the thin aluminum was cheap quality.

Enter Talons Garage:

In the full desire to be transparent they reached out to me and asked if I could test fit their skid plate on my Bronco for the transmission pan, they sent one out to me for fitment checking. There was no written contract, no promise of payment and I told them in writing that I try and remain unbiased in my opinions which they welcomed. They didn't ask for me to do a write-up or anything but I was so impressed I am here writing one anyways.

Attached are some photos of the difference's between the old transmission skid and Talons garage. Note that the Talon skid has ribbing length wise to prevent flexing or buckling (my old pan was beginning to buckle up into my frame)

The Talon skid also comes in aluminum or steel (I opted for the steel). It has thicker walled metal, waaay more coverage and fitted up really nice.

Now keep in mind they offer a full protection package but you can also buy everything separately. It was designed to work with other Talon skids or with the factory offerings.

I currently run an icon skid for the front diff (its beginning to bend so I may be upgrading to Talon soon lol). I also have the factory transfer case skid. The Talon transmission pan fit well with both skids with just minor overlap with the Icon diff skid (not an issue and who would expect one company to design their skids around another companies skids right?) Like I said though, its a perfect fit with their own design and the factory design.

In the photos you'll see some different bolts that I used as well. This is only because about a year ago I took a hard hit on my crossmember and sheered off the factory nutserts on a previous skid and had to redo my own nutserts. This meant I had to use different bolts in some of the holes.

Overall, I am very happy with the fit and finish of the skid and am looking forward to adding more eventually (on my own dime). I can highly recommend checking out Talons Garage for your Bronco needs and next up is to go find a rock to smash it on... Attached is an install video and some photos, I'll post back up after the trails with a damage report!

515E9E41-5722-401A-A5F7-35CDA9123DB1.jpeg

E0E4DB20-9CE6-4EDA-B928-ED2F11E69ABB.jpeg

1161373C-1F6F-451A-AFA0-A8D4FD71A1AA.jpeg

C86F0B64-3050-4EFA-AD48-C01129CEBE78.jpeg

9D517981-FE0A-4E68-9934-BFB7614C1A95.jpeg

E67223AC-5A34-47D6-AA06-B35E1BFA873B.jpeg

DB072A52-31F7-45EB-B67D-0515D2EE697B.jpeg

8277A0A2-129D-4D7A-90C5-A564C55B5644.jpeg
Sponsored

sportcoupe

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I received my Talon trio of skids this week. Eng, trans and transfer. I opted for aluminum as I don't play in rocks often. Customer service is exceptional and they actually have the skids in stock. None of this 2-10 week lead time garbage.

I am waiting for my RCI sliders to install them before the skids while access is best. RCI sliders 8+ weeks lead time. Barf.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Doesn’t fit Badlands with sway bar disconnect. 🤔

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Doesn’t fit Badlands with sway bar disconnect. 🤔
Yea that part is a bummer. But you can always cut it out to fit! It’s just metal and is pretty easy

scotman623

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy LT Trail boss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was so interested and ready to buy.. unfortunately it will not fit my Badlands with sway bar disconnect… 😢

Sponsored
OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was so interested and ready to buy.. unfortunately it will not fit my Badlands with sway bar disconnect… 😢
I’m contacting them to ask if a version is coming out. I know this one I have is a new “V2” so I’m curious if it will fit the swaybar. I’ll report back. I know their V1 doesn’t.

Bronc6g22

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

+1 for RCI transmission skid for Badlands. You just remove the tiny sway bar cover and install the RCI plate.

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

+1 for RCI transmission skid for Badlands. You just remove the tiny sway bar cover and install the RCI plate.
It does look good. Doesn’t have the ribbing though and looks to detract from ground clearance which the Talon doesn’t. (Sits higher up). As someone who used an aluminum skid for the transmission before the Talon garage one, the aluminum doesn’t hold up in the rocks. I recommend steel if you rock crawl.

I’d be curious to see the RCI one in person

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Alrighty! Talons Garage says they are coming out with another pan that will accommodate the swaybar disconnect Broncos. The reason this one doesn’t is because they won’t to allow the best possible clearance for Broncos without it. The skids that accommodate the disconnect system sit about an inch or so lower then those without. This way if you don’t have it, you won’t loose clearance.

scotman623

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy LT Trail boss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m contacting them to ask if a version is coming out. I know this one I have is a new “V2” so I’m curious if it will fit the swaybar. I’ll report back. I know their V1 doesn’t.
Thanks.. Definitely interested 😎

Sponsored

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Squashed

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2020 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Very little clearance lost, braced skid plates and a lifetime guarantee. I've been running them a year now. 3/16 powder coated steel. I installed the steel asfir transmission support skids to the M.O.R.E. skid package. I did not lose and clearance but added noticable weight. I've turtled at 21 road and at the large rock on the hey joe trail. I'm still running stock tires with a perch lift. Been winched out of my turtle situation twice. 21 road was humbling. I don't go out looking for places the Bronco will get damaged but the skids offer insurance against those "" OH SHIT" moments. Here's the link https://mountainoffroad.com/collect...opy-of-middle-skid-plate-for-ford-bronco-2021

20230925_155408.jpg

20230925_155041.jpg

IMG_6772.JPG

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I located an amazon deal on an aluminum pan that bolted up to the factory skids. It was cheap and it seemed like it would work... Well after 7 months of running it, it is all bent out of shape and was a royal pain to remove
Whenever I hear/read the words Amazon & cheap in the same phrase, I will never be surprised with such results.
Amazon Chinesium will never withstand the test of time :sneaky:.

Nice pic @Squashed 🤠

Last edited:

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Very little clearance lost, braced skid plates and a lifetime guarantee. I've been running them a year now. 3/16 powder coated steel. I installed the steel asfir transmission support skids to the M.O.R.E. skid package. I did not lose and clearance but added noticable weight. I've turtled at 21 road and at the large rock on the hey joe trail. I'm still running stock tires with a perch lift. Been winched out of my turtle situation twice. 21 road was humbling. I don't go out looking for places the Bronco will get damaged but the skids offer insurance against those "" OH SHIT" moments. Here's the link https://mountainoffroad.com/collect...opy-of-middle-skid-plate-for-ford-bronco-2021
I just love a good shot of a used skid plate.

The link you added is for a SKU: FBMSP2.7A-Black $349.00 1/4" Aluminum 29 lbs. Not steel a little confusing.

Great shot of you on Poison Spider.

Ford Bronco I'm not breaking my transmission pan! thumbnail

Last edited:

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi, i'm going with a new transmission Pan. I have the 2.7 with the two angles frame supports and do not want to add a skid plate that is going to decrease my clearance. The 10R80 and 10R60 share the same pan design. The new pan holds more fluid which is never a bad thing either. Mishimoto and Lethal have a pan.

https://www.lethalperformance.com/p...tang-5-0-2019-22-ranger-with-10r80-black.html

https://www.mishimoto.com/aluminum-transmission-pan-ford-10r60-10r80-transmissions.html
That's the way to go 👍
Sponsored